Have $500 to finish a system...help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Speights, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend that is planning to jump into a surround sound setup and wants to keep things within a FIRM $500 budget.

He has a player already (an older Mits DD-1000) and a TV.

He is looking to add a complete set of speaks for 5.1 (not planning to buy a partial set up and add on later) and a receiver.

DTS and the latest sound formats are not a priority (he won't even be able to run DTS soundtracks because of the player). He was considering a Kenwood or Sony HTiB set up but I think he may be able to do better with his budget.

Factory refurbished units make him nervous so I think we would need to stick to new equipment. I still think it can be done, but it would be tight.

What do you think?

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Christian. There was a very similar thread to this one a couple of days ago. This thread should be able to help you a little.
    Limited budget system

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I helped a friend set up a Kenwood HTB 503 - 5 speakers, sub & receiver with excellent results. I believe the newer model is now a 504. The list price is @ $500.