What's new

Have 2 STF-2's and not satisfied - Would a larger SVS sub work better? (1 Viewer)

David Babin

Auditioning
I have 2 HSU STF-2's in a 20 by 21 carpeted listening room with a cathedral ceiling that goes up to 10 feet. I have tried them all over the room, but now
have them placed about a couple feet apart behind my couch listening area, as suggested by Dr. Hsu.

The subs put out decent volume, but just don't seem to be giving me that kick in the stomach that I thought I would get from the 2 subs. I can hear the bass, but I just don't feel it very much.

Am I expecting too much from these subs? I am not expecting to be floored with fantastic volume and extension from just 2 10 inch subs, but I thought I would be more satisfied than I am.

Would maybe one of the SVS subs satisfy me in this listening area. I am not trying to spend a ton of money - definitely less than $1000,.

Any suggestions from the SVS line? I dont know the real difference between the tubes and the box speakers in their lineup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-David

James L

Auditioning
Dave,

I've also had the STF-2 for a while. I liked using it in a second bedroom, and I'm sure 2 would get you a noticeably higher output. But for about $60 more (assuming you paid about 400 per sub), you could have purchased an SVS PC-Plus 20-39 that, in my opinion, would put out more than enough of the bass you're looking for. I have that sub (no longer have the STF-2). Now I'm feeling a nagging bout of upgradeitis and am starting to seriously consider their box subs (PB12-Plus/2). Hope that helps.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Just an FYI: I've own the SVS 25-31PCi since April 2002 and it is located in the front right corner of my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room behind my 6' Yamaha Grand and after I REF Calibrated my whole setup, ... one of the first floor, air, wall, pant-leg sub-sonic moving LFE DVD's I put on was ...

... quote from my "HTF SVS 25-31PCi April 12th, 2002 review" ...

So, I'd say without a doubt -- YES!!! ... SVS might be the ticket to your full HT sub-sonic floor, air, wall, pant-leg moving impact bliss!!!

Phil

Eric C D

Second Unit
Have you run a frequency sweep measurement to see if you have any strong room modes. Eq'ing them out might allow the low freqs to "show through."

good luck,

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Duel subs will increase SPL more than extension.

That said, my SVS 20-39CS produces nothing short of an earthquake in my room. After watching Lord of the Rings 7 DVD fell off the shelf, the rest were almost ready to fall off, 1 picture fell off the wall, A glass of water scooted itself off the table, and the sub itself walked almost 2 feet across my hardwood floor.

If you want bass that you can feel, then SVS is your ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks