Have $1k to spned on home theater speakers. Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Gang

I am looking for a set that will be good for movies and music. Thanks!

Tom

2. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

I am also interested in spending around 1k for home theater speakers. I was considering getting an SVS 20-39PCi and then matching up the other 5 speakers with that an a Denon 3802. Ill be watching this thread closely.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Three pair of JBL Series I S26 bookshelves (the Series II just came out and they are clearing out old stock cheap, they are essentially identical to the Series II that they want $320 a pair for) would be $480 including shipping from jandr.com. Then $500 for a SVS 25-31PCi retuned to 22hz plus shipping. Takes you a little over $1000 and gives you an excellent 6.1 system. Provided you don't mind using a bookshelf speaker as a center channel.

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

If I were you all I would do a search on this sort of subject. There are literally about 20 or 30 different setups depending on what you like. Go and audition different things!!!

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

What Paul said. I did just that (searched this and other forums) and decided on the Home Theater Direct Level 3 speakers, "Y" combo. The total on these came out to be $1024 shipped to my door. Initially I was not overly pleased with the center channel, but after some break in and adjustment of my receiver I am very happy with them.

My second choice would have been the Swan Divas, but they are out of the $1k price range for an equivalent set.

6. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

7. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

You can find PSB stratus goldi's for $1100

8. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I'm assuming $1000 for 5 speakers plus a sub. Go to the Axiom Outlet and get two pairs of M2Tis for $192 per pair. Add a VP-100 center channel for $198. Finally, an Adire Rava sub for $399. Total: $981 plus shipping on the Adire. If you're willing to spring for the M3Ti, the cost goes up between $56 and $112. A nice combination, IMO.

9. Joe Rison

Joe Rison Auditioning

I second the Axiom/Adire setup. I found it to be the best value out there. My budget was a little higher but was still tight. Might check to see if you can get a deal on a b-stock Rava, sort of like Axiom's outlet. Email them and see if they have any.

10. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
  11. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Is it $1K for speakers and sub or only for the speakers? Speakers only I am partial to the nOrh line. Paradigm, PSB, Energy, and Axiom are all excellent choices as well.

12. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Considering DIY? You can build 5 ACI Emeralds for about $860 USD delivered......if you have access to a plunge router, the construction of the cabinets is a snap.