What's new

Have 17" Dell Ultrasharp...What is DVI cable for?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a Dell 17" ultrasharp flat screen monitor and love it! It came with white DVI cable that I could use to hook up to my pc. I am now just using the normal blue cable. Should I use the DVI cable and why/what are the benefits?? Thanks!

Brian Price

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If your video card has a dvi out, you could use it to hook up the monitor. I happen to think the picture looks better this way, but it varies from monitor to monitor (doesn't make sense, it should always look better since there is no analog in the signal, but some look worse).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dvi (i think) stands for Digital Video Input. it allows a full digital signal to be sent to your monitor. the idea is that you get a better picture quality since the video signal does not undergo a digital -> analog conversion.

at least i think that's how it works. my graphics card has the dvi, but i only have an analog monitor. so i can't comment firsthand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks