What's new

Hauppauge PVR 350? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
For one thing, the difference is the amount of CPU horsepower required. Software decoding puts all of it on the CPU. Hardware decoding puts virtually none of it on the CPU.

I've been looking at the MythTV PVR project for Linux and thinking about diving into it. It can work with the Hauppauage 350, and if you use that instead of some other capture board then you can use an old Pentium III

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I just pulled the trigger on two Hauppauppauppauppauppauge PVR 350 cards to start building MythTV. I'll use an 800 MHz Pentium III that's been collecting dust.

Before they ship I'd better get a head start on getting Linux running on it. As long as Linux continues to frustrate me, I can feel reassured that I'm not the world's biggest geek.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and one more thing:

I ended up buying directly from Hauppauge, because it seems nobody has this card in stock. None of the major online stores have it. There are some places I've never heard of that have it, but I'd rather not take the risk.

But the PVR 250 card without the hardware decoder and TV output, it seems you can get that one anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks