"Haunted" doll on eBay (auction is over)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Moe, May 8, 2003.

1. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2388

Haunted doll on eBay. Video "evidence" in the ad as well. Gave me the chills reading the ad a couple times, even if it is fake it still a good story. Make sure to read some of the links in the ad as well.

This should get interesting when the skeptics see this.

If this has been posted already my apologies, I did a quick search before posting.

2. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I'll admit, it's a pretty interesting story, but it reeks of being just that - a story. The video clips are questionable IMO. In the first one, the baby's arm does indeed move, but it looks like something that could have been altered in Photoshop or whatever program would be used. The second video clip is just too silly to believe - a voice in the background saying something....uh, that couldn't have been the person operating the camera, no way.... Also, in the original auction he claims that the pictures that have the devil figure in them did not originally have the figure. Easily enough said, but why would the composition of the picture be set up how it was unless there was something there? I'm not saying this story is BS - I have no proof of that obviously. I'm also not saying that these things cannot happen, but this story just doesn't sound genuine to me.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I don't think it was Photoshopped, as each frame has distinct video noise. The camera did pick up the arm moving, but of course he could have moved it remotely somehow, say with a string or something. On the 2nd clip the arm moves too, as well as hearing the "voice". The voice was starting to say something a little louder at the tail end of the clip but it was cut off. Of course there's no way of telling who or what caused the voice either, as that's even easier to fake than the arm moving.

Given how easy it is to fake this sort of thing, even if it were true how would you be certain, unless you examined the doll yourself? I've read stories about haunted dolls so this isn't entirely unique.

Now if he had gotten a video of the doll levitating like he claimed it did, that might not be as easy to fake outside a movie studio. Or maybe it is...

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Interesting, but it's most likely fake. Scoll down to the part of the clouded eye with the face in it. He says he never noticed. Well, I think that's BS. If you post the pics, and look at your own auction page, you'd have to be blind not to see the eye is clouded. Looks like a photoshop job to me.

Also, if the doll is that much of a problem, ummmm, why not throw it away? Now if this was a horror movie, of course they wouldn't just throw it out, you couldn't make a story out of that. So instead they would come up with creative way to "destroy" the doll or get rid of it, such as fire, and then have the doll survive, or an Ebay auction, and have the first winner of the bid not exist.

Anyway, the guy is certainly creative, and may make some money from his creativity and press.

Mike D.

5. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I forgot about the cloudy eye thing. Like you say, that could easily be digitally manipulated or could even be the flash from his camera. If this is all made up - and I know it would be almost impossible to prove - would the buyer have any recourse for claiming fraud?

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I'm talking Tina and I'm going to kill you.

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I think this is my favorite;

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Grant, I was just looking at that on DVD two nights ago!

Of course this story is true. It has to be. No question about it, nosiree. Absolutely and positively true, I say.

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I prefer Chucky.

BTW, I've got a used car to sell you. It's a 1970 Ford Pinto. It runs great and is a real joy. I've never had any problems with it and I've got some beautiful pictures of it. It's only $200,000. No, you can't test drive it - the pictures and my testimony are sufficient. This is the best car ever. What, you don't believe me? You lousy no good skeptic!

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I need to find something creepy and hock it on Ebay... let me see what I got here...

Oooohhh.. an old haunted baseball glove! Some kid with one arm handed it to me on a playground and, with tears in his eyes, begged me to keep it. Since then, my arms have been falling off akljre;a nm, dcksnv v

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Julie, can you sell me your haunted Cthulhu plush toy? The Canadian dollar is strong right now, so I feel it is the right time to import evil into this excessively nice country of mine.

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

No way Max. How do you expect me to keep up with my cultish duties without my haunted Cthulhu plush toy? Besides, he likes riding around in my truck. I'm afraid he might get cranky if I removed him.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

What if I paid for shipping? I'm pretty sure that a cardboard mockup of your truck would be sufficient to fool your haunted plush toy thing into believing he is just going on a field trip to beautiful-but-snowy-and-wet Canada. The politeness of the customs officials (they are careful to lubricate their gloves before inspection) should be pleasant enough!

As for your cultish duties, you deserve a vacation! Maybe you should come up too! I can give you a guided tour of our fabulously haunted igloos, complete with bar fridge and old footage of vintage hockey games to keep the ghostly guests happy. Just don't touch the "unattended" opened bottles of beer on the table, eh?

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I just can't risk it Max. He's pretty sharp and I doubt that a mere human can fool him. I would hate to end up another statistic in the paper - "Local Woman Strangled by Tentacles of Haunted Plush Toy". That's not exactly the way I'd like to be remembered.

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

17. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

18. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Maybe these old Michael Bolton CDs are haunted...they're certainly cursed!"

ooohhhh! creepy!

19. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I dont see anyhting special about the 'haunted painting'... i see nothing odd about it... whats wrog wtih it?