What's new

Hatfields and McCoys (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Surprised there wasn't a thread on this, especially since it broke ratings records.
From CelebrityCafe.com
"Memorial Day’s premiere showing of Hatfields & McCoys brought the History Channel miniseries record-high numbers with 13.9 million viewers.
The numbers made the show the highest-rated non-sports telecast in recent cable history, even holding its own against NBC’s America’s Got Talent. "
I have it DVRd and have watched almost all of part 1. Although it moves slowly, at the onset it seems to be a well acted and put together mini-series. We'll see how it feels at the conclusion.
I'm also trying to find out how true to history the mini-series is. From what I've read so far, good records weren't kept and a lot of the story is coming from accounts printed in the sensationalized newspaper stories.
Fictional or based on true events - not sure how I feel about that kind of programing on the History Channel.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
Fictional or based on true events - not sure how I feel about that kind of programing on the History Channel.
Considering that we're talking about the network behind Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars alongside "documentaries" about monsters, aliens and conspiracies I think the ship of historical accuracy sailed a long time ago.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Is there a single one of those "cable" channels whose programming has anything to do with original concepts?

Not only has the ship sailed ... I believe the train has left the station and the horse has gotten out of the barn.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Considering that we're talking about the network behind Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars alongside "documentaries" about monsters, aliens and conspiracies I think the ship of historical accuracy sailed a long time ago.
Ha so true, when you look at it that way.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
ba7e997e_giorgio-tsoukalos-meme-generator-hatfields-mccoys-nope-aliens-51104d.jpeg

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I really like the mini-series so far and will watch it wrap up tonight. Very good period piece and the acting and sets are great too. I really like Costner in most things Western based.
In real life history, it is very murky at best. While they did research on this and there are indeed historical documents supporting some of the events between the two families, some aspects are still unclear. Like tonight on the National news, they said the feud ALL started over a pig, but that's not entirely true either. They did show the two families in present day and neither side is remotely like their old relatives thank goodness and survive happy and peaceful even having family reunions. A very colorful family history though to say the least.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Hopefully, I will get around to watching the rest of Part 1 today. From what I've seen so far and hearing from others, it does look interesting, with the beginning reminding me a little bit of "Dances With Wolves", mainly because of Kevin Costner in the Civil War setting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I caught a few minutes here and there during timeouts in the basketball game, and liked what I saw. I think my wife would enjoy it too. Hopefully I can catch it in full in reruns.
It may not be completely true to historical events, but it's nice to see some new material on History that's at least *related* to history. Not to mention the great ratings! Hopefully that will send a message.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/321112/hatfields-and-mccoys#post_3932223
I caught a few minutes here and there during timeouts in the basketball game, and liked what I saw. I think my wife would enjoy it too. Hopefully I can catch it in full in reruns.
It may not be completely true to historical events, but it's nice to see some new material on History that's at least *related* to history. Not to mention the great ratings! Hopefully that will send a message.
It's not too far from the facts as I know them. A finished the third episode a few hours ago and I have to say this was a great program with top notch writing and acting.

Another article that reflects the ratings for all three episodes.

http://news.yahoo.com/hatfields-mccoys-ratings-record-setter-222023302.html

Crawdaddy

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Adam Lenhardt said:
this is very true. one this started happening i lost alot of respect for the "History" channel.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I've only seen the first two parts so far...but, it is seemingly accurate from what I know of the story.
It's actually a pretty well produced work and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. A great cast with Costner and Paxton doing solid work. Maybe it's not Lonesome Dove, but I'd say it's the best western I've seen made in several years.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I have only seen the first part in its entirety, and enjoyed it very much. I look forward to the rest of this mini-series, seeing what the Hatfields and McCoys are all about, after hearing references about it in numerous TV shows. Hopefully, I will watch Part 2 tonight.

The History Channel does have a few worthwhile shows, like The Universe and How the States Got Their Shape. But the rest of their reality stuff is dreck.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought it was excellent and well done all around. My only complaint was Paxton, not sure if I didn't like him or his character though, I could only take someone drunk and stumbling.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just went through the entire three parts in one setting and I thought it was extremely good. There were some major flaws including the god-awful song they played during a few portions of the film and I also wasn't too thrilled with the music score at times. As far as the truth.... I'm really not sure how much truth could be learned anyways. This was for entertainment and not a documentary so I really don't mind whatever facts might have been changed. It was great seeing Costner, Paxton and Berenger being able to work with great material again and I think all three really nailed their performances. Last night I watched BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA for the first time and wondered whatever happened to Jena Malone and to my shock I saw her in the credits. I think the most impressive thing is that even though it clocked in nearly five hours, it never really felt too long. I'd say the first twenty-minutes were the weakest parts and once the pig trial kicked in I thought it flew by.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
There is something that bothers me very much--everytime I see this air, the picture is unwatchable. Continual jumps in the very first showing are unbelievable. Am I the only person that saw this???:(

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
On the third part, I definitely noticed jerkiness of the picture. It looked like a film with every third frame missing.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Did you just see it in the third part? I turned it on to see the beginning, and it was awful. After a few minutes, I turned it off. The repeat was fine, but there is no excuse for that kind of television. I have never seen anything like that before. To be so high rated, it was treated like junk.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks