Hate to ask, but what TV should my brother buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman Short, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

I've gotten some ideas from reading the forum, let me give you the particulars of my brother's situation. His 10 year old JVC died yesterday. He primarily watches DVD; very little television from his non-digital cable. He uses his bedroom for watching DVD from his bed, about 9' away from the screen. At first he wanted to go out and get a 27" Wega 4:3 set. I thought he'd be better off making the transition to at least an HD ready 16:9 now rather than buy a set now and want another one in a year or two. I think he's convinced to go 16:9 since he will get the most out of DVD, though he wondered how well a Wega with the squeeze option would compare.

I thought he should go with a 32"-36" 16:9 set since he would rather get a direct-view set. I'm sure he'd like to stay in the $1000 range roughly, though he could probably go up to 2000 or more. The Samsung looked promising in the lower end of the price range, but are all of those 4:3 HD ready sets? I've written down some models from Panasonic, Hitachi, and Toshiba. What would be the plum performers in this size and price range?

He'll probably be buying a set Tuesday, since he's currently stuck with a 13" set until he picks a model.

Thanks

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The least expensive HD ready 16.9 set right now is the panasonic 47 inch RPTV which you can get for between 1599 and 1699..The samsung is HD ready but 4.3 and the 27 inch goes for as little as 899...A good bet rather than waisting a bunch of money on analog.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Remember that a TV's HD capability is worthless if he does not buy an HD receiver at some point to receive HD signals.

A 16:9 set sounds good for him if all he watches are DVDs, but then again, the only main difference a 4:3 set would have is putting black bars on the top and bottom. He needs to consider if a 16:9 set to avoid black bars on DVDs is worth the extra cost to him. He's the only one who can decide on that.

For size, a 27" at nine feet is a bit small, although not terrible or anything. For a direct-view HD, I wouldn't go less than a 32". The smaller the set, the more the benefits of progressive scan and squeeze mode, (and even HD if he buys a receiver) diminish, so that should be considered as well. The further away, the less any extra quality is perceived, so at a decent distance, extra quality might not be justified by the extra cost. Again, that's up to him to decide.

We haven't heard the full story here, so it's hard to make specific recommendations. If he might move in a couple years and would want a BIG television later, then now might be good to just grab a solid non-HD 27" or 32" for three to five hundred bucks and then keep it as a bedroom TV later when he gets a bigger living room set. And by then, HDTVs should have dropped noticeably in price (we all hope), so holding off somewhat might make a cheaper TV bought now basically free later when he buys another one at future prices.

Smaller HD sets especially can be a little iffy to buy now since whatever kind or size of regular set you decide on you basically add around five hundred bucks to it for the HD version. And you still don't get HD on it until also buying a receiver. Spending that much on a dinky little 27" TV to be seen at nine feet is not high on my list of recommendations.

If this is going to be THE set for many a year, then no way would I spend the money on a 16:9 direct-view over getting something like the rear-projection 47" Panny like Mike mentioned. Current rear-projections are just too good, and prices of HD direct-views are too high, IMO.

Hmmm, if he doesn't watch regular TV now, will he watch regular TV later if it was HD?

4. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. My brother called me today and let me know he'd made his purchase of a Tosh 57HX81 from a company that has its own ISF tech. As a matter of fact he found the guy from the ISF site.

After reading this forum, both my brother and I decided to move from a direct view set to an RPTV. He was going to get that Panny 47" but the glowing endoresements of the Tosh made him decide to move up even farther on the budget. I think he made the right choice, as he kept saying he didn't want to upgrade again in the next few years. Seems a lot more people upgrade to a larger screen from the 47" than they do from larger screens.

Only concern was whether the 8 foot (he measured finally) viewing distance might be too close for a 57". He's already bought the set, which gets delivered next Wednesday, so the question is probably academic at this point.

Norman Short

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

hah academic...funny stuff.

must have a lot of money to blow..would now suck if it doesn't work out?

Anyways there are people here who watch larger sets from a closer distance, so I wouldn't worry too much.

-ELmO

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Eight feet will not be a problem at all...Remember you not watching ntsc with visable scan lines....

7. WaltS

WaltS Agent

Walter Short
    This is Norman's Brother. I opted to get the Toshiba 57HX81 from Custom Theater and Audio in Murrells Inlet, SC. http://www.customtheaterandaudio.com/ I linked to them from the ISF website.
    I went ahead and paid a bit more than I might have to get it from someone who had a clue ($3000 for the TV and $500 for taxes, delivery 80 miles and ISF calibration). The man I bought it from is John Sciacca. He mentioned an article he had just written for sound and vision online. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Buy...p?ArticleID=54
    The money was way more than I had originally planned on spending but I knew I'd be living with whatever I bought for years to come. Thank you for your help, the information gleaned from the many posts here greatly influenced my decision.