hate to admit it, but sometimes the HTF confuses me

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY, MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL, UNIVERSAL MONSTERS, T2... These are just some of the most recent thread topics in the "software" forum on HTF; people with questions about "which versions" of DVDs to purchase ("Artisan has a few versions of this floating around out there, and some of the cuts are out of print... and does this contain the DTS audio mix?"). Now, I understand and appreciate that this is one of the main purposes of our gathering here, to suss out the best of the best, and recommend the good stuff over the lame attempts: to pick the wheat from the chaff.

But sometimes -- and maybe it's just me -- I have to admit I end up more confused about which version of a certain DVD is the one for me. I am embarrassed by this. I read a long, long digressive thread about the upcoming new disc set of APOCALYPSE NOW, and twenty minutes later I am still unsure about whether I should rebuy this film. (Of course, I have the original non-anamorphic disc, so I want the anamorphic upgrade, but do I need to have the newer re-hashed version in the set? Rebuy? Can I have a definite opinion, or should I wait for reviews? etc.)

This happens to me all the time. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I end up confused by the mass of differing opinions. Anyone else feel this way?

MC

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

...that's why I never read reviews. Someone else's opinion doesn't really mean anything to me (as far as what I consider 'good').

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The HTF . . . one of the things that makes you go, "Hmmmmmm."

Seriously, though, I guess it depends on the product in question. If it's something like the Karate Kid, you can easily answer, "Get the new one. It's the only OAR version available." When an earlier DVD got a lot right, I guess it's more a matter of opinion. For example, the upcoming Dracula and Frankenstein 75th Anniversary editions. If the picture is improved, yes, they are recommended. Then again, the previous editions had bonus movies that the new versions won't include. So, those are recommended. In a case like that, you just have to try to separate fact from opinion and go your own way.

4. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I am in the same boat and have pretty much stayed away from the software section for this very reason. It seems like if something has multiple releases, no matter what one I buy it isn't the right one, so I just leave confused like you do.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I disagree that people give too much information about releases. It seems to me the problem stems from not being sure about what's really important to you, or what the advantages and disadvantages are. To me, it's simple: Alternative A offers you A,B, and C. Alternative B offers, D, E, and F. So choose. [​IMG]

6. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

I also get confused but often quite frustrated as well because there always seems to be an apologist for any given film on DVD, no matter what the technical specs, and that usually leads to a farrago of resentful bickering posts back and forth, e.g., STAR WARS.

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

A little bit like the conundrum "a man with a watch knows what time it is, and man with two is never sure." [​IMG]

We live in a world without standards, or worse, very low ones [​IMG]

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

This is my main quibble as well. Many seem to think that they have to prove how good/bad a certain film is, like it's a badge on there HTF scarf or something. I have no problem with someone saying "ID4 sucks", or "ID4 rocks" but leave it at that.

There also seems to be people that are more hung up on the actual specs, as opposed to what a DVD might actually sound and look like. It just seems strange to me. At least the "no DTS NO SALE!" stuff has mostly died down.

The nice thing about the HTF is it's typically polite bickering. the forum is deffinately a class act.

9. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Gotta give credit to the HTF mods, though![​IMG]

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Geez thanks Robert, that clears it up [​IMG].

--
    H

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'm confused like 99% of the time. So, I think I'd be worried if I came here to HTF and had a sudden clarity about life.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    And reading Zen's posts confuses me 99% of the time. I'm just joshing Zen me lad, strangely enough you're far more lucid when you're outside that little thread of mine, must be the dankness and that strange smell... [​IMG] sorry carry on.

You know if you guys ventured out of After Hours occasionally you wouldn't feel so confused, a lot of you hang around here waiting and waiting to see if someone posts the latest info on their neighbour's strange habits or someone stubs their toe going to work and everyone gets excited and wants to know what happened after...[​IMG]

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm usually pretty good at rooting out bad and good dvd's, but I have on occasion needed some guidance, but i've gotten good and clear answers most of the time.

I did encounter one problem recently that was never cleared up, I wanted to know the difference between the two Max and Dave Fleischer Superman cartoon dvd's that are floating around.

No one answered me so I just had to buy them both and compare. [​IMG]

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My memory isn't what it used to be, but when was there a non-anamorphic DVD of Apocalypse Now?

M.

15. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I think the first (original) DVD is non-anamorphic. I have to "zoom" it on my widescreen, you know?

MC

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not to turn this into a Software thread, but I checked my own copy of the first AN release from 1999. It says on the back cover that it's enhanced for 16:9 display -- and it is.

M.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, same here. There has never been a non-16:9-encoded disc of the film. And it looks just fine.

18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

He really is confused isn't he. [​IMG]

19. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

SEE?

How come mine looks all squished up on my TV? I'm going to check it RIGHT NOW. (Back in a sec...)

MC

20. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

OK, I'm a total dope. I seemed to recall that it was a "zoom" issue, and thus I was thinking that if the new version is anamorphic, I'd have to rebuy it... But I guess I was wrong. It looks fine to me. I guess I am not rebuying, which is good news. Glad I checked. Sorry for sending everyone scurrying to their widescreens; I'm guilty of confusing everyone just like I was complaining about.

[​IMG]

MC