Hate the movie, but love the DVD...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Rogers, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Ok, maybe hate is too stong a word, but does anyone own a DVD they really like regardless of the movie?

My choice would have to be the Alien Quintology version of Alien 3. Hated the theatrical release, but really like the documentaries and test-version on the dvd set.

How about you??

2. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Krull is pretty much a Brit Star Wars ripoff, but the DVD is a wonderful package of two commentaries, vintage featurette and comic book goodness.[​IMG]

3. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Hannibal comes to mind. Marvellous commentary and plentiful extras.

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I think the Pearl Harbor 4-disc Vista DVD is mine.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Have never bought, and would never buy, a dvd of a film I don't love enough to rewatch many times, much less one that I hated. I cannot imagine anything a dvd could contain that would get me to buy it.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Agree with George, I wouldn't buy a movie I didn't like, at least at the time. As my tastes continue to change I now own some DVD's that I liked when I bought them but am no longer interested in watching that could fall into this category, like Austin Powers or The Dark Crystal. But I would get rid of these if my wife would let me.

I can think of one disc I rented that would fall into this category, Wonderland w/ Val Kilmer. An average-at-best movie but the DVD includes the very good "Wadd: The Life and Times of John C. Holmes" documentary.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    What good is a DVD if the movie is awful?

It's sort of like admiring the typeface and cover artwork for a romance novel that is absolutely horrible.

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Agreed.

The Haunting (1999) is a lackluster dvd for extras but the audio is jawdropping.

9. Laurence Price

Laurence Price Stunt Coordinator

If the picture quality of the DVD is impeccable and the sound mix is stellar but, the movie is terrible then the DVD could always be used as a reference disc to demonstrate to friends and visitors that you own a great home theater system and TV.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Criterion "Armageddon": the comments from NASA consultant Dr. Joe Allen, and asteroid consultant Ivan Bekey are great!

Regards,

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well, like Divx, such discs could be useful - as coasters, frisbees, over-sized poker chips, etc.

12. Laurence Price

Laurence Price Stunt Coordinator

This is true but, if these friends turned out not to be very discriminating or excessively particular in their standards then maybe you could get away with it without risking potential embarassment. [​IMG]

13. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Well there are so many reference quality discs out their with good films on them that buying a film you don't like would be useless.

I would never buy a movie that I hated that had a good DVD. I have rented a lot of discs with great features, recently my friend rented Van Helsing sure it was a stacked 2-disc set but the movie is a total turkey. I can't believe I had to sit through that film again.

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i was extremely bored at the theatrical viewings of all 3 lord of the rings movies (i was dragged by my girlfriend), but i own the first two extended editions, and i'll buy the third as well. i dont care for the movies, but i love commentaries and documentaries and extras of all sorts. even though i dont care for the movies, i like to see how they were produced, especially since so many people put in a lot of work to make them. i think i've watched everything that is on each disc except the movies themselves without commentary [​IMG]

CJ

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I couldn't imagine spending around $90 on a trilogy of films that bore me. Wouldn't a rental be sufficent? I don't know about others but as for myself it's rare that I watch extras more than once anyway.

16. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

28 Days Later. I don't like the movie but thought it was really cool how the filmmakers decided to put the entire storyboards to the alternative 2nd half of the film with commentary. Excellent work.

17. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

My vote is for Fight Club. I'm not a fan of the
    movie, but I enjoy the commentary with Fincher,
    Pitt, Norton and Bonham-Carter. I've watched the
    film with this commentary running a couple of times,
    and I don't have any interest in watching the film.

I agree with the earlier post about Pearl Harbor Vista
    Series also. Excellent supplements, horrible first half
    of the film.

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I feel the same way. Why on earth would you buy a DVD of a movie you didnt like even if you had a lot of money to burn?

19. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I got the Pearl Harbor 4-disc Vista series brand new for $10, so thats mine. Hilarious commentary by Ben and co. (go figure)

20. Phil_La

Phil_La Stunt Coordinator

Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead. I just got the DVDs (for the Mike Nelson commentaries alone). I honestly think NOTLD is as bad as the horror movies on MST3k like Beginning of the End. So I basically think of the discs as MST3k episodes without Servo and Crow.