1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HATE commercials in the movie theaters??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    On the Neil Cavuto show on FOX News RIGHT NOW there is going to be a rep from Regal Cinema defending that practice.

Just a heads up..it repeats early AM as well. Enjoy!

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Hmm, I believe I can answer the thread's question with two simple words:
    HELL YES!!!

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I hate them but I can live with them. The theatres have to maximise their profit don't they?

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I find it offensive to pay premium ticket prices and then have to sit through a endless string of commercials for soda, cars and perfume. For me it degrades the moviegoing experience.

5. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Personally, I don't mind the commercials, especially if they are as well done as The Hire series or Lucky Star. If they had commercials in the middle of a film, then I would have a problem...
    8^B

6. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Dang, kind of wish Bill O'Reilly would take him on.

Chris

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's funny, I used to work for a Regal theatre- I left when they started making me raise the masking on common-width screens between shows so the advertising slides would fill the entire screen (essentially making the screen shrink when the show started). They ran a lot of ads on film as well, which I felt was insulting to the customers but the perverse side of my kind of enjoyed changing them every week.

8. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

sometimes its wicked annoying sitting through them.

9. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Since the Edwards Theaters in Houston got bought out by Regal, not only have they started showing more and more commercials, they've also raised prices. And to add insult to injury, I can't remember the last time I saw a movie there that the projector was actually set up correctly, usually part of the picture is off the top or bottom of the screen. There have also been problems with audio too (usually lack of surround sound).

It's no wonder these companies are struggling to make money. Pretty much everything about the movie-going experience sucks these days. We used to go 3-4 times a month, lately it's more like once every 4-6 weeks. I'd rather wait for the DVD.

10. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

ARGH!!!!!

I don't watch commercials on TV if I can help it - I hate commercials in movie theaters - the PQ is awful, and blown up 200x, they're 200x more awful than on the video box.

They're inevitable - but I HATE THEM. HATe THEM, Regal Cinemas, YOU HEAR?

11. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Movie theatres did it to themselves so I don't see the commercials being "necessary." Movies keep something silly like only 20% of the ticket prices for an opening weekend (if not less?). The only time they can take more of a cut is after a flick has been open for a few weeks. By the end they can be taking the reverse...maybe 70% of take? I don't have the exact numbers, but the longer a movie is there, the more per-ticket they can keep. So now instead of booking a movie that SHOULD last forever (like Star Wars in the old days) and letting it play out for a few months, the stack the theatres 6 deep with the same movie so that no matter what, you can see the movie opening weekend. The only movies they really make money on any more are the sleeper hits like "Greek Wedding" or "Full Monty" or "Crouching Tiger" that gained momentum by starting small, and expanding by word of mouth. I am not sure if the choice is the theatre or the distributors, but movie theatres screw themselves out of tons of cash by opening cash-hog movies so huge. And now we pay for it, not just by ticket price, but also by ads to make up some of the difference.

I guarantee people would rather be assured they can get in to see Lord of the Rings opening weekend than to have to stand in long lines and maybe only get in the following weekend or even later. For those of us who remember, that was the way of things back in the days of the original Star Wars...which would literally be in theatres for months and still have sold out shows. So as long as viewers demand instant access to movies, then get ready for more ads.

Phil

12. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

That theaters agreed to give up such enormous percentages of the film revenue from the initial weeks is something I've known about for quite some time. I wouldn't have gone with it were I in a position to influence the negotiations; it's Hollywood greed for the studios to have pulled that on theaters.

However, commercials in the theaters piss me off like hardly anything else. I've stopped going to certain theaters because they run 15+ mins of advertisements in front of the films. Others I just purposefully walk in 10-15mins after the official start time so I can catch some of the trailers then the actual friggin picture I paid to see.

I paid for the movie, not for the marketing. I do my part, I buy a soda when I go. I don't see how it's my problem they screwed their finances so badly they're going to sell *MY* time to others.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I have no problem with ads on slides before the film starts. At least I can ignore them. I do have a big problem with endless ads on film before the feature. I'm paying a lot of money (too much) to see the film. I should not be forced to see ads as well.

14. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Here's a thought. Theatres could:
    1. Drop the annoying celebrity/"how much popcorn/pop we scam people into buying each year" trivia slides and just play commercials for half an hour, have a 5 minute break, and then run the trailers/feature.
    2. Post the precise time when the trailers start.
    3. Give a 50% discount on pop/popcorn to anyone that shows their ticket stub at the concession more than half an hour before the trailers start.

Those who want cheap munchies can get their food at a mere 1000% markup and watch commercials for half an hour. Those willing to pay the 2000% markup can just show up for the trailers. The end result is that anyone who gets pop/popcorn still gets screwed, but with a delightfully devilish choice between being screwed to a greater extent on food or being screwed to a lesser extent on both food and tickets. This should keep the sadistic cinema managers happy. The downfall of this plan, of course, is that those who do not get pop/popcorn may actually benefit from the time postings which would allow them to completely avoid the commercials.

15. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    One of the reasons I just don't go to the movies anymore.

Mike

16. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

17. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

At the Regal Cinemas near me, they start the ads early so that the TRAILERS start playing at the time it says (i.e. Punch-Drunk Love at 7, they'd do it so the trailers start at 7).

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Is there a transcript anywhere of what that guy from Regal said? I'd love to know. I enjoyed working at their theatre a lot, but I felt that changing the masking to accomodate the slides was against my moral principles (something very few people in the business have! [​IMG] )
    My belief is that the masking should NEVER move when people are in the theatre to see it, only exception being if you have a double feature of 1 movie in each format, or if you MUST run a certain trailer that is only available in the format different from the movie.

19. George See

George See Second Unit

My theater shows the slides and then the commercials at the listed time for feature start....i never understood why they don't replace the slides with commercials and just jump straight to the trailers at the start time....

20. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Yeah, that will make sense when selling adverts: "Hey, we will show your ads, but we will also tell people when they will be shown so they can choose to show up and miss them." They want the captured audience. Don't look for compromise. Advertisers are going to be getting desperate for rapt audiences now that Tivo/PVR/VCR technology is making it easy to skip over their commercials on TV. I don't watch much live TV (with a 3 year old, we watch very little TV and our shows are saved until after bed) so the most commercials I see is when I am stuck in a theatre and forced to watch them.

Phil