Has WS "Wonka" out sold Pan & Scan, if so where's "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Has the widescreen "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" out sold the Pan & Scan version? If so, Where's the widescreen version of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". It seems many members have requested this title. Is there anything we can do to get MGM/UA to act on this request?

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

There are about 100 reasons why doing a straight comparison of sales numbers for Wonka Widescreen and Wonka P & S would be unfair and not useful. As such, I consider it just about impossible for the widescreen version to have sold more copies at this point.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Here are 2 of those reasons: Blockbuster and Wal-Mart.

One more reason: the P&S version was released first.

4. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Members petitioned to have a Widescreen "Wonka" released and Warner released it, I'm guessing the same thing happened with "Cats and Dogs" but why not "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"? (This film has a wider acspect ration than "Wonka")

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The reason is the CCBB was released prior to the "mainstreaming" of DVD. By the time the WWatCF issue came along, it wasn't hard to find over 10,000 rabid online fans to sign the petition, me being one of them.

But CCBB was already "a long time" out (11/10/98) in its MARred version prior to when I myself bought my first DVD player in Sept. '99, which is just a few month prior to the Christmas considered the start of the mainstreaming process.

So, as you can see, there wasn't quite the momentum there.

But, with over three years since that edition has been out and with SE's being what they are today, there's no reason that MGM couldn't make stupendous amounts of money with an OAR SE re-release of CCBB.

Wonka was an SE re-release, after all.

{wishful thinking} Perhaps they are waiting for 2003, which is the film's 35th Anniversary! {/wishful thinking}

6. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I didn't sign no petition but waited and bought a ws Wonka.

I wonder who signed and didn't buy a ws Wonka?

Amazon.com has ws Wonkas.

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Admittedly I have not purchased Wonka Widescreen yet. I was planning on doing so during the first week, but of course got screwed out of first week sales, much like Cats and Dogs. I have picked up C&D, and wish I had picked up Wonka instead. Soon though, soon.