Has Warner replaced MGM as the punching bag of the DVD Industry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Shanks, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    With all the scorn being heaped upon Warner these days, I bet the folks at MGM are somewhat relieved that this is taking some of the heat off of them.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well Warner has worked hard at achieving this lofty goal, and they've done a good job. The snappers, Best of South Park, and constant P&S crap have all contributed to this position. Its amazing, isn't it? How could someone that was once so good, become so bad?

3. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

4. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Current issues with Warner seem to be:
    1.0 Keeping to Original Aspect Ratio
    2.0 Dolby Digital 5.1 at lower bit rate
    3.0 Lack of dts support
    4.0 The dreaded snapper case
    5.0 Use of DVD 18's
    6.0 Special Editions that don't look like special editions
    7.0 Lack of classics and catalog title releases
    Warner, however, offers several positive factors:
    1.0 Consistently good transfers
    2.0 Many special features on their new movie releases
    3.0 Very good pricing
    Perhaps I missed a few, but the OAR thing is of most concern. In addition, I feel that packaging is important to the collector and that Warner should address this issue rather than refuse to discuss. Warner is offering the preferred package to some other markets.
    In addition, we must not forget Warner's contribution to early development of the DVD market. Too bad they can't follow-up with a little more leadership. The customer should not need to resort to public petitions (OAR) and not a week goes by without some post on HTF regarding the snapper.
    As this thread is also about MGM, I sense (from recent releases) that their quality has improved and that a larger percent are anamorphic. Perhaps MGM is listening.
    Time for Warner to also listen and take action.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Roger, you did miss one that's a big issue with many of us:
    8.0 Issuing television shows as "Best Of" releases instead of in episode-order
    South Park is mentioned above, but it's also an issue with Friends, Babylon 5, and now even with Scooby-Doo. Imagine the outcry that will happen if they do this with Doctor Who!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

6. David-alexander

David-alexander Stunt Coordinator

Aside from their voluntary absence of support of dts ( the previous 5 titles were a joke, with tricks ), is the fact that while they OWN New Line (!!!), they failed to master the art of encoding, compressing as New Line was always able to. Until recently I should say however as their recent transfer have improved.
    I always found WB dvds too digital or pixelated compared to Paramount, MGM ( the good ones ), New Line etc.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

There's more than enough room for two punching bags. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I find it extremely funny how serious some of you are about packaging...
    The only problems I see with WB's DVD's are:
    1. Some family titles don't get matted. I'll take this off my list since WB is releasing matted versions of LotR and Willy Wonka. I(It's not as severe as you think...name one non-family title that's really p&s only...and I'm not talking about unmatted versions.) I know the Pokemon movies are hard-matted....but I think Pokemon on DVD is an oxymoron.
    2. Not enough classics...but this really isn't WB's fault. Turner just merged with WB a few years ago...and that library has hundreds of classics...lots probably need restoration and working on. Why else do you think it took this long for films like Doctor Zhivago and Citizen Kane? WB could have done an MGM by releasing old laserdisc masters with no extras in 1997.
    I think WB makes the best classic DVD's and their DVD's have the best openings...just a short, skippable logo and it goes right to the first menu. Any DVD's that don't allow me to skip over the damned studio logo and FBI warnings anger me...it's no surprise that I only have 3 Disney/Touchstone DVD's out of my 40.
    I'll probably get a tomato in my face for saying this, but Snappers are actually my favorite type of case. They hold the disc better than any keep or amaray case (for me at least) and they apparently cost less. Perhaps this is why I could get Superman: TM for $18.99 from amazon.
    Really...if WB could just give more attention to family titles (and they'll eventually have to re-release open matte DVD's or they'll become obsolete) and simply put more time into restoring classics than their recent crap.
    I think 15 million spent on the latest Keanu Reeves movie would be better spent on a restoration of some classic films like The Thin Man, Adventures of Robin Hood, and Around the World In Eighty Days. This opinion seems one-sided, but then again...I only have 1 DVD from that last 10 years of film (excluding made-for TV stuff). [​IMG]
    Spoiler:O Brother Where Art Thou?
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Recently Warner has been maligned for their treatment of Wonka, but aside from that, they have actually been half decent.
    I wish they would release more of their classic titles, but then again the titles they do put out have been pretty top notch. In the end I would rather see quality from them, then the rush jobs MGM gives us using rehashed transfers and no restoration on many titles.
    I have to agree though, that Warner is very middle of the pack. Not great as they were once perceived, but not nearly as bad as they have been recently portrayed.
    J
    ------------------
    Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

10. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

It's so funny how all these MGM $10 "Midnight Movies" are widescreen, and not pan and scan, nor do those widescreen discs contain a pan and scam section. MGM in my opinion has made up for some of their errors. I think they are getting better at the game also. (Legally Blonde DVD-14, now that is impressive)
    [Edited last by Antonio_M on August 31, 2001 at 07:04 PM]

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Patrick, you make good points, but why are you so convinced LOTR is being released in widescreen? There've been rumors and a gigantic scan that seems to be getting spread around generously on the net, but which was posted by a NEWBIE on another web site DVD TALK). Let's wait until someone reliable has an anamorphic copy in hand...

12. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Someone from the hometheaterforum own the disc, and he says it's anamorphic widescreen. Why are you so skeptical??

13. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

MGM is also not afraid to release unrated cuts of films on DVD. While Warner even edits down their R-rated films.

14. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    MGM are suddenly becoming one of my favorite studios. The last batch of Midnight Movie titles along with the DePalma SE's and a few other horror titles like THE HOWLING and SCANNERS where all pretty damn sweet dvds, Plus the prices are pretty damn cheap. Like KILLER CLOWNS with a boatload of extras for only $9.95 at Best Buy [​IMG]
    I have been pissed with Warner for a little while now. Their total lack of support for a films original audio mix whenever they create a new 5.1 track (Kubrick Collection & Superman come to mind) Is a far greater problem than some movies not having DTS [​IMG]