What's new

Has Warner Created an SACD? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Probably an import of a Universal disc. Implying that this is a Warner SACD is like implying Bjork's UK SACDs are Warner just because she is on Warner here (her UK releases are One Little Indian). If this is an import, CD Universe has the release data wrong, but that wouldn't be too unusual.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2329 (not Warner)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I believe this has already been reported somewhere (probably Audio Asylum) as being a non-Warner disc out of the US (hence the $29.99 price) that won't be here since his US label is Warner.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

It is absolutely a fact that this is not what Lee claims it is. Acoustic Sounds just screwed up, and DVD-A haters worldwide are getting a brief wet dream :)

Note the catalog number on the Acoustic Sounds page: 'CMER 986771 SA'. That is a Mercury catalog number, not a Warner Catalog number.

Now look at the CD Universe page. Domestic release, lower price, different catalog number. And any mention of SACD? Nope.

What a joke.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

How wrong you are....The "dream" is not to see DVDA fail but to see Warner release Super Audio product and expand our choices. We could get Fleetwood Mac, Van Morrison and many other top artists in hirez.

Since Warner is not releasing any DVDAs having them add SACD to hirez could result in more product. They have obviously failed to deliver their rich catalog in the other format. Maybe things will change with DualDisc, maybe not.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If this is already done in multi-channel it is a shame that Warner won't release it here on DVD-A. Both Warner and Sony over the past year pretty much suck when it comes to releasing hi-rez, although I would not go as far as saying "Warner is not releasing any DVDAs." I think there is basically no chance of Warner doing SACD here in the US at this point.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Blah blah blah blah blah. Sony hasn't brought us pop/rock fans jack shit except for Bob Dylan but you always blame that on the Harry Fox agency, but with Warner it is always their fault. Same tired old crap. Sony also has a damned rich catalog and if they started releasing DVD-A that doesn't mean that we'd finally get Bruce Springsteen in high-res. Yet you seem to think that if Warner supported both formats that the floodgates would open. Ludicrous.

As far as Warner not releasing DVD-A, has it ever occurred to anyone here that perhaps the reason that we aren't getting Bjork and Knopfler on DVD-A right now is that it makes more sense to wait a few months and release them in DualDisc? The DualDisc launch is very close and it makes sense that some 'on the bubble' titles will be pushed back for the new tech.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I suppose that could be the case but we have heard nothing from Knopfler's camp about a DualDisc release and quite a bit about the SACD release.

The other problem with this logic is that Warner has not issued much in two years, well before DualDisc existed so it strains the mind to think their lack of titles is do solely for the DualDisc launch. It could just be that Warner did not want to spend any money on hirez at all given the management buyout and cost issues.

If they do choose to launch DualDisc in a big way then we could see more hirez titles and that would be great for us who love great music and sound quality.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Shouldn't you assume it's that bad old Harry Fox agency that is causing the problems? The average DVD-A has four versions of the album (MLP stereo, MLP surround, DD2.0, DD5.1), and some have five (add DTS 5.1) or more. Imagine the quadruple royalties. Damn that bad old Harry Fox agency. Oh, wait, we are talking about Warner here, and unlike every other record label, they are wholly responsible for their own issues.

Lee, it's shocking that you can't see the inconsistencies and bias in your own statements.

As far as DVD-A versus SACD war, if it's gone down to arguing which one sucks least, isn't it time to give up on arguing all together?

Are you ready to admit that you were absolutely wrong about Warner releasing this as DVD-A?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I just checked

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...asp?offset=690

and it appears that in total Warner has issued only 79 DVDAs versus 280 Sony SACDs. So I stand by my claim that Warner is doing a lot less to support the DVDA format than Sony is doing to support SACD.

Both need to do more of course, but to say that Warner is being active is a stretch.

The fact is that the labels could and should be doing a lot more to support hirez but that does not mean that it will not be around for many years supporting a strong niche audience.

It also raises legitimate questions about any future commitment of Warner to DualDisc....won't the retailers wonder this given that they only releases roughly 14 titles on average a year for the past five? It could be different this time but given the history I remain skeptical.

Now that we know Mark Knopfler is on Universal labels as well, then of course we were mistaken but that's an honest mistake given the information on the Acoustic Sounds site. I'm still feeling pretty good that we are getting a big album on SACD.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to really enjoy Michael sniping at Lee, and Lee sincerely trying to respond. Can you guys take it a little MORE over the top? I want to see more bold and italic typeface. Why don't you throw in some extra exclamation points here and there.

It reminds me of my marriage:
"I hate it when you don't lower the blinds!"
"Why do I always have to trip over her shoes!"
"How many times have I told you not to leave containers in the fridge with only one bite left?!"

Regards,
Doug

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Well, I aim to entertain. :D

The funny thing is, my wife and I rarely argue. She doesn't go around spouting off disinformation, and when she has a bias about something, she wears it on her sleeve. ;)

Starting?? These two follow each other around cyberspace like two Pit Bulls waiting to lock on to anything the other says about their respective format choices. :)

At least they do it in a relatively civilzed manner compared to most other Audio fanatics.

I'd just love to see a situation where they each had a High End Audio store right across the street from one another (poor customers). What a gass that would be. :D

Personally I'm an SACD supporter due to circumstance but I won't knock DVD-A, It just doesn't work for me due to a few factors.

I just wish all titles could be offered in both formats and this stupid format war ended but, were dealing with Corporate mentality here and that's a lose/lose situation from the get go. :frowning:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I think it's healthy (and entertaining) as long as we debate in a civil manner. :)

I also think Harry Fox issues are impacting DVDA but the slowness of Warner titles has been consistent from the beginning. The Harry Fox royalty issues started this past summer with a strong worded letter so it would not have impacted the release before then.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I agree, Lee, and that's why I enjoy this forum as well as Steve Hoffman's and Audio Asylum. They're generally populated by intelligent folks with some decorum. I quickly flee from other boards populated by semi-literate teens who populate their posts w/ lots of "sux!" "WTF!!!" etc.

Cheers,
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks