Has Toshiba ever improved it's Anamorphic Downconversion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Jul 21, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Historically Toshiba has the most artifacts and wondering if anyone can say if they've improved their letterboxing ability over the years. I have the 2109 model. Thanks in advance!

David

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Yup. Apparently the newer model have excellent downconversion.

3. David Coleman

Can i ask where you've heard this or direct me to a thread where it was discussed?

4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I recall this as well, the info came out around the time the 3750/4700/5700 line was introduced. So it's back several months, if you want to try searching.

I do not recall any A-B comparisons with the Panasonic or Sony players in this regard, though.

5. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

I saw a mention of their downconversion in the Hometheater Magazine review of the SD5700. They briefly mention it being good, without jaggies. Here is a quote
    "In the opening sequence of Star Trek: Insurrection, the first thing I noticed was a slightly softer picture, although there wasn't much shimmer in the haystacks. For comparison, I played the sequence on an older Toshiba player and observed a seemingly sharper picture but a return of the shimmering (which is caused because the DVD player is forced to discard lines of video to fit the letterboxed image in less than two-thirds of the TV's scan lines)"
    Here is the link:
    Hometheater Mag. SD5700 review

6. David Coleman

Thanks for your responses. That's exactly what i'm looking for!

David

7. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

8. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

I asked the same question before deciding to purchase a Toshiba SD5700, and read all the revelant articles and reviews(including the HTmagazine article mentioning Star Trek), but after I got my player today, I was horribly disapointed in its downconversion performance. I do not own a copy of Star Trek, but I did test it out with Fight Club, generally regarded to be one of the best anaphmoric transfers available on DVD today. Several times I noticed unacceptable shimmering in its interlaced mode, espically with patterns and straight edges subjected to movement. While playing DVD's, my PS2 dosent even exhibit this! In fairness, I am running this player to a bottom of the line Samsung TV with the included cables only(I'm getting a better quality TV and component cables later). Correct me if Im wrong, but these two variables wouldnt contribute to the shoddy video, would it? If not, could my player be defective? It just seems weird to have heard all of these good things about the video performance of this player, yet it seems to be worse than my ps2 at this point. Any thoughts?