Has Toshiba announced a replacement for the SD-9200 prog.-scan DVD-Audio player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 11, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was in a Tweeter store in New Jersey yesterday and saw the Toshiba SD-9200 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player for $800. They were actually out of stock, but claimed to be getting more in this coming week. Given the significant price drop on this player (OneCall is selling it for $719.10), I figured it was discontinued. Though the '9200 is a great component, it is a bit old by today's standards. Has Toshiba announced a replacement for it yet? I don't think the SD-5700 is up to par overall with the '9200. The '9200 is a sweet machine, with great sound and build quality. Also, the operation of the disc drawer is slick.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. George Minich

George Minich Auditioning

I have been told the the 9200 was a one-of-a-kind and based on the numbers made and sold, there will be no replacement. This was one fine piece of electronics. I love the machine however I have not picked one up myself yet. Perhaps by Christmas.......
    George Minich
    MIS Project Leader
    Toshiba of Canada Ltd.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

George, thanks for the information. Coming from you, I guess this issue is settled. I know Toshiba made an SD-9000 and an SD-9100 before the SD-9200, so I figured an SD-9300 was inevitable. I guess I anticipated a '9300 to be similar to the '9200, but with a newer progressive-scan chipset (Faroudja, for example). Thanks again for the insight.
    ------------------
    My:

4. George Minich

George Minich Auditioning

Mind you, the fellow did not anticipate a price drop on these units - I found out about the drop from your post. Perhaps there is something in the works. I'll just have to check tomorrow....
    George

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks for the clarification, George. If you learn about anything in the works at Toshiba and are at liberty to share the information, I'm sure many here would appreciate hearing the news.
    ------------------
    My:

6. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

The SD-9200 is the most elegant piece of electronics in my system to date.
    Since I do not have a 16x9 set, I am completely 100% satisfied with the video quality.
    The audio section of the SD-9200 is untouchable.
    The 24 LB SD-9200 is also used as my CD transport.
    Outperforms anything else I have used including my Elite CLD-79 and Sony XE-670 SACD player for CD playback.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Trevor, I agree with you regarding the elegance of the '9200. As I said above, I love the operation of the disc drawer. It is slick. Still, I can't justify spending $720 on it since I already have a capable DVD-Audio player (Technics DVD-A10) and only 14 DVD-Audio discs. I don't have an HDTV, so I don't need a progressive-scan player. Finally, I am not looking for a new CD player. The '9200 still is a great piece though. I remain curious as to whether Toshiba will release a replacement reference player for it.
    I am not entirely surprised that you find the '9200 to be a better CD player than your Pioneer Elite CLD-79. The '9200 is well-made and uses newer technology (DAC, etc.). As for the Sony SCD-XE670, I wouldn't expect it be a world-beater with CDs. Sony's non-ES CD players aren't usually too great. What Hi*Fi? reviewed the 'XE670 in the current issue, and their main complaint was its performance with CDs. As I recall, they said its CD performance matched that of Sony's budget single-disc players, which sell for only $100-150 USD (CDP-XE270 and 'XE370). What Hi*Fi's main complaint, therefore, is that the higher price of the 'XE670 doesn't get you a better CD player, just SACD capability. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting multi-channel SACD capability for $300 USD. [​IMG] At the price of the 'XE670, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony focused mainly on SACD performance.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

So Kieth,
    Speaking of CD performance, any idea how the Pan RP91 fits in here? Better than the cheaper Sony SACDS? Better than the Technics DVD-A10? (that you don't care for too much in the CD dept)? How does it compare to either the latest Toshibas (4700/5700) or the 9200? I'm in dire need of a new CD player as my Audio Alchemy stuff is skipping and ancient anyway. Would like to buy a DVD-A that is a good to excellent CD player..

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The 9200 discriptions sound just like my 9K... excellent build,24 pounds,ellegant,great cd transport [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

forgot the slick drawer! ( the 9K has a real slick drawer as well) Lol... Hey Keith, btw, i got my BlueTigers from Doug at CatCables this past Friday, hooked them all up yesterday. I threw in JT-Hourglass and experienced my first multichannel SACD! Sounded great!
    ps. Can't beat those locking rca's huh Trevor [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Chip E on November 12, 2001 at 04:10 PM]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Art,
    I haven't used the Panasonic 'RP91, and I can't recall reading any comments here about its performance in redbook CD mode. Frankly, I wouldn't expect it to be a better CD player than the Technics DVD-A10. The 'A10 was very well designed. It's not as if the 'A10 is a lousy CD player, but it is not going to beat $500 CD players. Still, I can't rate the 'RP91 as a CD player. As for Sony's budget SACD players (SCD-CE775 and SCD-XE670), everything I have read says they are average CD players at best.
    Chip,
    Glad to hear you are able to experience multi-channel SACD. Multi-channel SACD is fun, but I still much prefer stereo.
    ------------------
    My:

12. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Actually the Sony XE-670 is a P.O.S. with Redbook CD's..Really bad.
    Chip,,I am using SilverCats with the SD-9200.
    The locking barrels are definately the Cat's meow
    with these cables.
    The Panny is good with Redbook CD's but the bass reproduction is not as tight and detailed as it is with the Sd-9200.
    I bought the Panny -91 for the sole purpose of playback of my DVD Camcorders DVD-ram discs so I have not played to much in terms of CD's on it though..
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!
    [Edited last by Trevor Schell on November 12, 2001 at 07:33 PM]

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Quote:
    "Chip,
    Glad to hear you are able to experience multi-channel SACD. Multi-channel SACD is fun, but I still much prefer stereo."
    I know what you mean Keith..i had a stereo setup for 20 years before multi channel anything came along. I find myself listening to most everything now in 5 channel stereo. I like the invelopement of it. Multichannel SACD is even better.
    Quote:
    "Chip,,I am using SilverCats with the SD-9200.
    The locking barrels are definately the Cat's meow
    with these cables."
    Yea Trev, i didn't want to spend that much money on the cables (SilverCats) so, i opted for the BlueTigers instead..real nice cables btw.
    - Chip
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Chip E on November 12, 2001 at 08:53 PM]

14. Art Miller

Does the 9200 play CDRs???
    It's starting to sound interesting at a closout of $550. I just read a reference to Stereophile ranking it as a "A class" CD player. Don't know how current this is though. I keep inching up in price. Was going to get a Pan RP61, but they never materialized, then the cheap Tosh--forget em. Then the Pan 91, now maybe a Tosh 9200. Gotta stop reading soon....

15. Art Miller

Oh yeah forgot another Toshiba 9200 question. It's specs are a bit sketchy on the Tosh web site. Does it have volume adjustments (balance) for the 5.1 speakers (I know it doesn't do bass management for DVD-A)? Dose it have a variable output--and is it non-signal degrading?

16. James D

James D Second Unit

Art- where can you pick up the 9200 for $550? The cheapest price that I've found is $700. I'm with you- for $550 I would be mighty tempted to buy this piece. Thanks.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

$550 is an outstanding price for the SD-9200 if it's a new piece. The best price I've seen so far from an authorized dealer is $719.10 at OneCall. Tweeter sells it for $800.
    ------------------
    My:

18. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Do a search on Yahoo shopping for this DVD player. Several places are selling for arround $600.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, I searched Yahoo! Shopping for the SD-9200, and one dealer, SpectraVox.com, which I have never heard of, has it for $553.94. There is one catch though. Note the disclaimer on their web page:

20. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I know there are others in the $600 range, I checked a couple days ago. I didn't check the details because I couldn't possibly afford this new player but was just checking prices because it was demoed at my HIFI store and they were asking $800. The retail is $1500 or something crazy like that.