What's new

Has Tim Burton lost his creativity?? (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
With a mess called "planet of the apes" and the possibility of Remaking Willy Wonka, where has the creativity of Tim Burton gone??

With such classics as Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood etc why does this man feel the need to only do remakes nowadays??

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
His creativity must be done by committee now. Or maybe he needs a new muse. Who knows?

I'm betting it's because of pressure from the studio(s) he works with though.

(George Lucas, on the other hand, has no such excuse...)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe there's some truth to Fellini's belief that directors only have 10 years of creative work inside them and after that they repeat their work or borrow from elsewhere. ;)

I agree that it's a shame though, nothing since Sleepy Hollow has been 'Burton' if you will.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
In a word...yes...he has lost his creativity if you ask me...now I actually liked POTA...but frankly anyone could have directed that movie and it would have looked the same...Sleepy Hollow is another story...but I wish he would make something of his own...

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Nothing since Sleepy Hollow has been 'Burton'
His only movie since then has been PotA.

As for the comment on his waning creativity, most of Burton movies have been based upon preexisting material: The Batman comics, the Pee-Wee character, Frankenstein (in Frankenweenie and Edward Scissorhands), the Mars Attacks! trading cards. I do feel that he peaked in the mid-90s with the double shot of Ed Wood and Mars Attacks!, but his only real misstep for me has been Planet of the Apes. Plus, he's got Big Fish out this Christmas, which sounds promising.

Mark

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I always felt Burton had good ideas but made them into lousy movies.

Pee Wees Big Adventure :star: :star: 3/4
Beetlejuice :star: 1/2
Batman :star: 1/2
Edward Scissorhands :star:
Batman Returns :star: :star:
Nightmare Before Christmas :star: :star: :star: (Which he didnt direct)
Ed Wood :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Mars Attacks! :star:
Sleepy Hollow :star: :star:
Planet Of The Apes :star:

I think hes VERY OVERRATED as a director and doesnt translate a story to film very well at all.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I loved Edward Scissorhands, hated Batman Returns, loved Ed Wood, found Mars Attacks tedious, loved Sleepy Hollow, did not like Planet of the Apes. I'd say he's about due for one that I like. Is there a part for Johnny Depp in the Willy Wonka film? I'm not a big Depp fan, or anything, but he seems to involved with the better Burton films of the last several years. :)

Regards,

Guy_K

Second Unit
Big Fish will probably be Burton's new creative film, don't give up on him yet!

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Pee Wees Big Adventure :star::star:1/2
Beetlejuice :star::star::star:
Batman :star::star::star:1/2
Edward Scissorhands :star::star::star:1/2
Batman Returns :star::star:1/2
Ed Wood :star::star::star::star:
Mars Attacks! :star::star::star:1/2
Sleepy Hollow :star::star::star::star:
Planet Of The Apes 1/2

All reviews are out of four :star:s.

In my opinion, he's made one bad movie, and it was a stinker. Every other movie he's made has at least been watchable. Batman Returns would have gotten :star::star::star:1/2 out of me if it had only been about Catwoman; Danny DeVito's Penguin was just gross.
He's not made anything since Planet Of The Apes, so unless you just didn't like Sleepy Hollow or Mars Attacks! (which I can understand if not agree with) it seems premature to say he's lost anything. Hopefully Big Fish will be good, and I have high hopes for Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Planet Of The Apes is my least favorite Burton film (it feels like a cash in) since it's the film that has the least amount of the Burton touch in it while his other films (along with Elfman's music) are full of his influence (which could explain why some dislike his work). He has had his ups and downs before but I expect Big Fish to be a return to form (and Wonka to be another sell out :D).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Big Fish will probably be Burton's new creative film, don't give up on him yet!
Any more info on that?

FWIW, I think it'd be cool to see Burton do a film featuring Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane with Gabriel Byrne in the lead. :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I actually thought the fist one was pretty freaky as a kid. As for a remake, the author of the book wasn't happy with the first movie, so why not try making it again? I know Dahl is gone now, but I believe they still got permission from his family... I say give it a chance, and here's hoping that Burton still has it.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Maybe he'll do Wonka in the same style as James and the Giant Peach, which he produced with a very hands-on style. Both that and Nightmare Before Christmas I found fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks