What's new

has THX lowered their standards in receivers? (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
could someone please give me some insight on this topic i've been thinking about lately, but have THX lowered their standards within receivers? i mean, i remember back in the day when i use to wish i could own a THX receiver and use to only see them in high end receivers, but now im seeing them in receivers more and more and even low-mid end brand names. I use to hear about all the hype about THX certified receivers being best and how they had to meet some strict standards before being certified. So, does this mean that all these THX receivers that are certified legit and a worthy receiver? The price drop on some of these receivers are incredibly low and sometimes wonder if THX could ever be just a name that sells. Please explain what exactly makes a receiver worthy of carrying THX? Im not too knowledgable on this subject, but it just worries me that if I am purchasing a THX receiver am I just going think, "whats so big about THX?" Is THX a surround format or is it a certification that a receiver has met high standards? Is THX over hyped? thank you all for answering any of my questions.

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Allan, i've also been wondering the exact same thing. Especially since ive just heard my buddies THX system which is the Logitech® Z-2300. I was very disapointed with the sound. The bass is just horrible and boggles my mind how it was certified.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Yes it is.

Here is a breakdown of what THX certification gets you:
http://www.thx.com/mod/techLib/index.html

I could care less whether the gear I purchase has been THX certified or not. Most gear available these days would follow the minimum set by THX and they don't want to increase the price to the consumer by paying for the THX badge on the front panel.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
THX Ultra 2 receivers are still rare, although THX Select receivers can be found easily and they are relatively inexpensive.

JackS

Supporting Actor
The very first HT receiver with THX was a Kenwood. I've heard/read this a couple of times so it's probably true. If not, someone else can possibly enlighten us all.
Before I forget, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all members of the forum .

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Jack and happy holidays to you and everyone else families.

Well i just dont understand the whole concept behind being certified. I think THX is starting to be just a name that sells now and not so much performance. I seen a THX receiver the other day by some brand I never really heard of selling for less than $500, I was like "whoa," and then thought to myself that had to be cheap quality.

James Phung

Second Unit
I wouldn't say that THX is lowering their standard. Unless they change their standards, I think that in the long run with improved technology almost all receivers will be THX certified. My Pioneer 1014 is THX select and is under $500, doesn't mean its a bad/cheap receiver.

I don't think having THX will make or break a receiver. Harmon Kardon makes good receivers and I don't believe any of them are THX certified.

THX certification for pc speakers is also different from their HT certification.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I think many or most receivers with equalization and independent cross-over settings for the front speakers could be set manually to THX specs. if you know what they are.
Not really a big deal since everyone will be setting their reciver up to the best sound they can achieve on their own or even using the non THX processing formats that are standard for that particular receiver.
Nothing against THX but to me it's like defining two shades of the same color. Which color you prefer would be personal.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I hope I am at least in the ballpark here but I always thought that THX select was just a list of features that a reciever must have in order to get the THX select processing. the other THX certs such as the Ultra 2 require that the equipment actually be bench tested and meet predefined performance marks. So the select certification doesnt mean a whole lot but the Ultra 2 would certainly hold some weight. Is this even close?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Select also has to be bench tested. It is held to lower power output standards as the Select designation is intended for smaller rooms. All other criteria (DSP functionality, xover settings at proper slope and frequency--80hz at 12/24--and re-EQ) must be there and function correctly (in the same manner as in Ultra and Ultra2 units).

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Folks!

Both meet specific standards and are tested before they achieve select or Ultra 2.

That being said, I have always been biased against THX, and never consider it as a positive or negative on any equipment I purchase.

IMO, THX shouldn't be a target you set when purchasing equipment, but rather purchasing the best equipment possible. That being said, if you absolutely want to spend no time shopping for equipment, all THX gear will sound great. But no guarantee you couldn't have spent the same amount and gotten a better system is all.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My receiver just happens to be THX, I wasn't looking for one. I think Chris is right, THX makes it easy to match gear if someone doesn't feel like too much shopping.

:) ;) :frowning: :b :D :angry:

P.S. Please ignore all the smilies, my three year old daughter just wanted to see them on "the paper".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks