Has this happened to anyone before?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Bought Absolute Power today (Warner Brothers) and imagine my disappointment when I finished taking off the shrink wrap and security seals: no disc inside![​IMG]
    Has anyone had this happen before?

2. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

It happened once when I tried to rent a DVD at Blockbuster. To my surprise, they actually believed me and gave me a free rental. It's never happened when I bought a disc, though.

3. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

it has happened to me twice. about a year apart. i bought from dusk til dawn and no disc. i also bought the new rambo box set and one of the dvds was missing.

4. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Yes. It happened to me at one point in a DVD trade. When I told the guy what happened, he didn't believe me. [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh well, I'm glad it hasn't happened since.

5. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Yea with T2 Ultimate edition. I had ordered it from DVDExpress, just before they went down the crapper. Boy was it hard to get a replacement. That was the last time I purchased from them.

6. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I had a similar experience. I ordered North by Northwest from (I think it was) Buy.com. The package arrived. I opened it. There was an invoice inside showing North by Northwest. There was packing material. There was nothing else. No disc, no empty North by Northwest box. Nothing.

I called them and explained the situation. After I finally was able to get the phone-drone to grasp that there was nothing in the shipping package they sent me out a replacement.

Jimmy!

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I bought M*A*S*H a few months ago and there were two copies of disc 2! When I sold the DVD a month later (I didn't find the movie as entertaining as I would have hoped), I sold the package with a single copy of discs 1 and 2 in it, and kept the bonus disc which I actually found more entertaining.

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I got Trainspotting from Columbia House once and it was missing the disc. The packaging still had all 3 Security stickers and shrink wrap on the case, so I doubt it had anything to do with CH.

I've also heard stories of people buying a movie that has two discs, and getting two copies of the second disc and no disc 1, although this has never happened to me.

9. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

When I received my Die Hard with a vengeance SE DVD, disc one was missing - got a replacement though...

10. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

It happened to me just once. I had ordered one of the James Bond box sets from Amazon and the Moonraker disc was missing. I called Amazon who was really nice about it and sent me a new one. I had to return the old box set, but thankfully since it was open I could still watch the movies until the new set arrived.

I'm really paranoid now whenever I buy things in a store I always "shake" the DVD case to make sure I can hear the DVD inside (and also to make sure it's not floating loose in the case.)

11. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

I was reading this at work today, thinking to myself, "Boy, am I lucky this has never happened to me..."

...and then I get home, and see my Amelie 2-disc set... I opened it up, and the 2nd disc is on top of the first... I flip it over, and it's another disc 1!!!
    grrr...

So, who would be better to contact? Miramax or Amazon?
    I mean, this is obviously Miramax's fault, since the package was sealed from the factory, (it's got the BuenaVista stamps on it).

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

13. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I once bought the boxed set with 'Air Force ONe, Das Boot & In The Line OF Fire'. While one of them did not have the disc inside, one of them actually had a an unknown brand blank CDR in it. Go figure.

Sanjay
    Member since 1997

14. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

I bought Mummy: Ultimate Edition and disc 2 was missing. I just sent it back and got a new one.

15. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

This has happened to me a few times, most recently with the Die Hard Trilogy set which was missing the first disc of Die Hard 2. I didn't open the box for about six months (it was a birthday present) so by the time I realized what had happened, Best Buy wouldn't take it back. Thanks to Peter Staddon and the HTF, I was able to get a replacement. (Thanks again, Mr. Staddon! [​IMG])
    The first time it happened was at CompUSA. I bought The Naked Gun 2 1/2 and when I got home, it didn't have the disc inside. When I brought it back, the store manager looked at me VERY accusingly as if to imply that I was pulling a fast one. (I've never stolen anything in my life!) But he still (reluctantly) let me exchange it, so I picked up The Naked Gun 1 and when I opened it in the store, it, too, was empty. They had one copy of The Naked Gun 33 1/3, and yes, it was also missing the disc. With no other movies that really interested me, I just asked for a refund, but I never got an apology from the manager for his behavior.
    Because of my experiences, two things have changed:
    1. I will NEVER shop in ANY CompUSA.
    2. I now open each and every DVD I buy in the parking lot before I go home.
    -Kelly

16. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Well, Amazon got back to me yesterday, and they're sending a new copy of Amélie ASAP.
    They also said returning the 'defective' DVD would cost-prohibitive, and I should just dispose of it at my convenience.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I now have 2 extra copies of the movie to give to friends!
    ...Too bad you can't call phone booths in Toronto...

17. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

I've had this happen a few times with music CDs, but not with DVD....yet. [​IMG]

18. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I just purchased Pearl Harbor Vista Series from Sam Goody.com and when I opened it up disc 2 was missing. I called up for a postage label to send it back and they told me they would be happy to take it back but they would only give me a refund. No Exchange!!!
    What a pain considering I got it on sale and who the hell knows if it is still on sale [​IMG] .