What's new

Has there ever been a perfect, uncontested DVD? (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Amelie was beautiful

I'd add Children of Paradise, for the restoration alone.

Both were very highly regarded.

Everyone seems to agree on Fifth Element Superbit, very nice also.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For me, Attack of the Clones, Superman the Movie, and LOTR: Extended. Two of the three don't have DTS, but I don't hear the difference between DD and DTS unless different masters are used.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Daredevil is a pretty perfect DVD...only thing I can think of is that it lacks deleted scenes...but then that'd ruin the Directors Cut later on that will be released...and some of them can be seen in the documentary...yep...this DVD owns! Beautiful transfer...DTS...2 hour-long doc's..commentary...enhanced viewing mode...etc.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The first potentially "uncontested" one I thought of (after FOTR: EE of course) was this one:

The only real complaints I could imagine would be:

1. "I don't much like the movie"

or

2. "Too damn many postponements and missed release dates!"

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Nah, the Legend DVD has that awful dust-magnet case which refuses to close properly.

My vote's for Big Trouble In Little China. Great film, superb commentary, DTS, 2-disc set in a double-alpha case, decent extras, and sound and picture quality top-notch for a film made in 1986.

And my safety's Rushmore CC. :D

JonasT

Auditioning
Although the new T2: Extreme Edition doesn´t have DTS, its new DD 5.1 mix is vastly improved and has reached new heights in terms of sound, also the picture quality might just be the best I have ever seen this is the newest generation of DVD.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My "perfect" DVDs are-

LOTR: FOTR EE
SE7EN Platinum Edition
The Ultimate Toy Box
The Godfather Trilogy

All great movies and extras

runners up-

Pearl Harbor Vista Series (not a great movie,
but alot of good extras)

Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition (this would have
been a perfect DVD if it had a Quentin and/or actor
commentary)

Jackie Brown Collector's Edition (same as Pulp Fiction)

Boogie Nights Platinum Series (needed some more behind
the scenes material on the 2nd disc)

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Special Edition
(perfect if they included the whole documentary
from the laserdisc instead of a shorter version)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, if "Moulin Rouge" hadn't had the damn DTS synch issue, I'd say it. How many Easter Eggs?? Like a thousand..?!?!? Great docs. and the film...
and if you're a music Video and Queen fan, I'd say the new "Live@Wembley" 2 disc set has pretty much everything you could want and a heck of a lot more. Should be considered the template for all future music DVD releases....

:) D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I can't think of anything even vaguely wrong with Criterion's Straw Dogs, except the dreadful insert essay...damn!! :D

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I think one that some have forgotten is Die Hard Trilogy: Ultimate Collection! DTS, commentaries, all sorts of great stuff!

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I think one that some have forgotten is Die Hard Trilogy: Ultimate Collection! DTS, commentaries, all sorts of great stuff!
Except that the transfer for Die Hard: With a Vengeance is the worst I have ever seen!!!! "Welcome to edge enhancement city! Edge Enhanced for your 14" TV" :angry:

Blu

Screenwriter
For your consideration:

Black Hawk Down SE disk set

Very very difficult to find any fault among this set and one of the best movies ever as well.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I think FOTR:EE is as close as any DVD set has ever come to perfection.
I never saw this movie again after its theatrical run so I can't comment. I would venture a guess that peoples' infatuation with this film has something to do with the sentiment of "best DVD."

I've always valued Fight Club as one that is close to perfection. I'll also second the T2 Extreme Edition (since the theatrical cut is included as an easter egg).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks