Has the original '73-74 "Super Friends" ever been released on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by derosa, Aug 9, 2012.

1. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I was revisiting my Superfriends sets, and noticed something odd about the episode order when I realized that episodes #10, #11, and #13
    have 30 second promos for next week's show. The strange thing is that they're not in order.
    Show 10 has the promo for show 13 just before the closing credits,
    Show 11 has the promo for show 10 just before the closing credits
    Show 13 has the promo for show 11 just before the closing credits.
    Based on this info, two things are possible: one is that the DVD has prints with the wrong promo order.
    But really I can only assume that the real show order as aired, for at least the second part of the season
    was #11, aired before #10
    then #13, aired right after #10
    and then #12, that.
    Interesting that this site is one of the few to list the episodes in this order:
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/tv/tv.php?topic=episode-guides/t-friends1-superfriends
    Does anyone have the ITunes downloads of Season One?
    From looking at the episode times, it looks like maybe episodes 1, 9 and 15, 16 have
    "next week on Superfriends" promos that aren't on the DVD set.
    It seems strange that the DVD and iTunes each have only a few episodes with promos,
    and for the most part, both formats have different shows that contain them, maybe only
    one that are the same!

2. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

I bought the original "Superfriends" on iTunes and what you are saying is correct. There are promos at the end of those episodes. The main difference with the DVD version is that the iTunes episodes were not remastered at all and they look very grainy. They probably used two different sets of masters for DVD and iTunes.

3. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    Thanks Greg. I suppose WB thinks "it's only cartoons" but it would have been nice if the DVD set of Season One
    contained all the promos that they had masters for. Leaving 4 promos off the DVD they previously released for download
    smacks of nobody working on these projects who are actually a fan of the show, or who cares enough to look at what they're releasing.
    This kind of thing happens all the time, it just seems sloppy.

4. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Super Friends originally aired right after Yogi's Gang on ABC. The network used the "next week" promos of Super Friends right at the end of Yogi's Gang as well to promote the upcoming show. It would have been nice to have all these "next week" promos available to include on the sets, even as a bonus feature. Also, I wrote a letter to my local ABC affiliate in 1974 because they were showing Treehouse Club instead of Yogi's Gang and I was protesting. They eventually put the Yogi show back on the air but in their letter explaining their logic they included two 35mm slides - one for Yogi's Gang and the other for Super Friends. They are both one of a kind. Yogi's Gang has all the characters standing in front of the ark. Super Friends shows all the heroes (including Wendy, Marvin and Wonderdog) with the SF logo. They are pretty cool.

5. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I don't know if we'll ever figure all this stuff out. By the 1970s I don't recall many cartoons getting descriptions in the TV Guide listings, which might have answered some of these questions. But I'd bet some of this has to do with differences between "production order" and "airdate order." I don't know where all the various episode guides on Wikipedia and elsewhere come from, but I even tried to look some of this stuff up on the Library Of Congress's site for certain shows, and I believe even the info there is still hit or miss. Hanna-Barbera registered a lot of their library for copyright several years after the fact (which is why shows like Quick Draw McGraw are listed on the copyright website, even though safely pre-1978). I think in certain cases, they had to reconstruct the airdate info as best they could -- I looked up one show (unfortunately I don't remember which show it was) and it had the same airdate listed for every episode. Magilla Gorilla (IIRC) has some dates prececed by "NY" (specifically New York airdates)? Several of the series have numerous multiple listings for the same episodes, representing different registrations and renewals (maybe for different owners depending on the year). And I've read various things on line suggesting that when the H-B library changed hands at various times, the owners tended to lose or throw out some of their internal records. I don't think we can really "assume" anything with regard to what order this stuff is supposed to be in.
    As far as the Superfriends are concerned, I wonder if they might have had multiple versions of certain episodes, one a first-run version and the other a rerun version? Maybe they were repeated in a different sequence than they first aired? Who knows?

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Its been fun for me to introduce my kids to the sets that are out on DVD. They are almost 7 and are big fans.

7. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    The repeats factor is something that i didn't think of, but could be a possible answer too.
    We'll never really know, which i'm ok with, but really I just wish they included more promos
    with the DVD set, they easily could have.
    Regarding your comments on original air dates, I totally agree that many are just made up,
    often just the dates of the saturday's in a row for the number of weeks the show ran.

8. Guest

Maybe someday they'll release a Complete Series box set with all of the promos. Galactic Guardians is also missing a title card for one of the episodes. The title card can be seen on youtube, so I don't know why it is missing here.