Has the DVD of "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" been edited?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlos Garcia, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

My wife swears the scene where the Jennifer Jason-Leigh character was in the hospital for the abortion was longer when she saw it either in the theater, on cable or the VHS release. She says she's seen the movie about 100 times so she's positive about this. Does anyone know if the scene in question has indeed been edited for the DVD release?

2. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Devil's in the details...

Your wife fell prey to the TV version. You see, in order to compensate for the loss of scenes of sex, drugs, and heavy language, new scenes had to be filmed for the TV version. If you see an extended abortion scene, Ray Walston signing yearbooks or Jennifer Jason Leigh and Phoebe Cates in their undies talking on the phone, you've got the TV version.

Several other Universal titles of the time had scenes filmed for the TV versions as well (The John Hughes movies immediately leap to mind).

Your DVD version is intact.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Don't expect the deleted scenes to show up on any future pressings of the title (and you know there WILL be future pressings...Isn't Universal releasing the 50th version of each "American Pie" title this year?[​IMG])

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

The commentary for Fast Times addresses this. The director mentioned how much deleted material was lost over the years and she wished that it the original source material could have been available, but it wasn't.

Isnt there another one of Spicolli (sp?) going to a candy machine or something in between class?

4. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I didn't get that at all from the DVD commentary. Several times in the DVD, Cameron Crowe is the one who mentions how he laments that the TV scenes weren't included on the DVD (he even asks Amy Heckerling about it at one point), but from what I remember, Heckerling was pretty evasive about it, saying the theatrical version is HER cut and had no interest in restoring any of TV footage to begin with.

I always felt FAST TIMES' 90 minute running time was too abbreviated, and that the TV cut scenes are terrific -- a lot better than your standard "fill out the running time" material, and would have improved the movie. There are a lot of them as well (nearly 12 minutes worth!), once you take out the R-rated footage they trimmed. Too bad Amy Heckerling doesn't want us to see it (even though Crowe, who scripted the movie and wrote the book, does!).

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    double post

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    >>>>Isnt there another one of Spicolli (sp?) going to a candy machine or something in between class?

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    Actually, director Amy Heckerling has been quite adamant about the material in the tv version NOT being included in the current DVD or future editions.

Heckerling maintains that the footage was originally cut for a reason. She was not involved in the editing of the tv version, which she was unhappy about, and says that she was upset to see the extra scenes incorporated back into the film.

And, IMHO, it is mostly extraneous footage. Some of the scenes repeat information which is revealed in other scenes, which remain in the same cut.

Amusingly enough, in one tv copy I own, Brad Hamilton (Judge Reinhold) talks to his guidance counselor about
    losing one job after another and working in Mite-e-Mart. The problem is that, as this version is edited, he hasn't yet lost his job at Captain Hook Fish 'n Chips and begun working at the convenience store, when the guidance counselor scene happens.

Heckerling does mourn the loss of numerous outtakes of Sean Penn cutting it up as Spicoli, which she says the studio discarded around 1985.

Jon

8. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I agree with you, though I disagree with her about those scenes. One or two of them have "repeat" information as you put it, but others are good character development moments that the movie could use. Cameron Crowe obviously felt they should have been put back, and I think his opinion is pretty much as valid since he wrote the book and the script as well.

9. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Yeah, I relocated that scene when I edited an uber-version on VHS for a friend back in 1989. I love the "still waiting for the fun to start" line.

I like most of the extra scenes but can respect Heckerling's wishes on not having them reincorporated. Would it kill her artistic integrity, though, to allow them to be included as supplements?

10. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Wasn't some of the music changed for all home video releases and TV/cable showing because of a rights issue or something like that. Sort of like what happened to John Carpenter's Thing

11. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

What is the difference between the "Collector's Edition" and the "High School Reunion" Edition?

12. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    The original theatrical soundtrack was finally restored to home video with the release of the DVD in 1999.

Don't think there's any difference between the two DVD editions except for a new banner on the cover (High School Reunion Collection?)

Jon

"Did you hear about the surfer who pulled a knife on Mr. Hand?"
    "No. No, he just called him a...NERD."

13. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    >>>>Would it kill her artistic integrity, though, to allow them to be included as supplements?

14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I think some of the tv scenes add to the film. The scene with Stacy in the abortion clinic from the tv version is much more dramatic, and it brings more sadness to her story. I've always felt the tv version was better, because it was basically just more scenes to enjoy. If there is going to be another version on dvd, I hope it will include the tv scenes in the film(like Superman the movie) or at least have them as extras(like the Goonies tv scenes). Either way it's better than nothing at all.