Has the christmas Futurama really not aired _anywhere_?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Goldstein, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Todd Goldstein

Todd Goldstein Auditioning

So I was reading about how Fox is finally going to air the Futurama about the evil Santa robot in two weeks. Now, maybe this is one of those things like remembering "Episode IV" in the first release Star Wars crawl, but I swear I've seen that episode already! I live in the Boston area, and I really remember seeing that episode. I recall that in it, the entire city becomes deserted because everyone is hiding from the Santa bot, but somehow Bender and Fry get caught out in the streets. Someone set me straight!

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I believe they made a second one last year which Fox opted not to air.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I think the one that didn't air had a Kwanza Bot and Fox thought it would be offensive or something.

4. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

Bender and Fry were caught outside buying a present for Lela if i'm not mistaken. The Evil Robot Santa ep has definately shown in Australia so I'd imagine it's some other episode or a possibly offensive version or something.

5. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

It is another one, and it has a Kwaanza bot.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it was a new one and it did have a kwaanza bot. he was giving a book to everyone that was titled something like "what the hell is kwaanza?"

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    That's the same question I was asking myself. What the hell is a Kwaanza robot? Link please! [​IMG]

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

It aired here last night, Sunday, at 9:30, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Global had been hyping it all week as 'The episode of Futurama we can't show you any earlier!' I'll post a plot synopsis.

Everybody is scared because Christmas is coming, and that's the time that SantaBot goes on a rampage of death and destruction. The Professor locks down the compound, (including a christmas-light sign on the roof reading 'trespassers will be shot' while playing greeting-card christmas music) telling everybody that they'll be fine. He then proceeds to send them on a mission to SantaBot's Death Fortress on Neptune with a sack of mail.

En Route, they read some of the mail. "Santa, please don't bring me another bicycle this year. Last year, when you shot my bicycle out of your bicycle gun, it really tore up my insides." There was another that involved a grandfather who was choked with a chestnut, and the little boy reading the letter looks over, and there's a decomposed, stiff grandpa rocking in a chair beside the window.

So they get to neptune, where they're greeted by a war torn town (fire, gunshots, dogs barking, the whole ambience) and a bunch of little neptune-ites, with four arms, who always hold hands with somebody. One offers to let them hit him for a dollar (at one point grabbing Fry's hand and smacking himself with it, then begging for a dollar) and it comes to light that they all worked in the toy factory, but SantaBot closed it, as he considers all children to be naughty.

They get some of the neptuneites to smuggle them into Santa's Death Fortress. They get past the sign of SantaBot holding out his hand, with a sign saying 'If you're more than THIS tall, prepare to die!' as it pops out a spinning sawblade at that height when they walk past.

Inside, SantaBot is preparing his naughty list, spying on people. Fry, Leela and Bender are smuggled in the mail sack. Leela says they'll use a Logical Paradox(TM Gene Roddenberry) to slay SantaBot, and Bender should cover his ears. Then they all leap out.

"Santa, your job is to punish the naughty, and give gifts from the nice, but you punish all children, even though some are nice. Therefore I submit to you that YOU are naughty, and you must destroy yourself!"

Sure enough, SantaBot's head explodes, but another pops up! "Fools! My head has Paradox Absorbant sheeting with crumple zones!" Then he chases them with a HUGE rocket launcher.

A daring sled ride later, they get on their ship and try to escape. But SantaBot is holding the back of the rocket! The rocket exhaust melts the snow, SantaBot sinks, and the ice freezes!

To make a long story short:

They re-open the toy factory, Bender is roped into being SantaBot, nobody believes he's not evil, he meets up with KwanzaBot (a robot in the stripped shirt and 'bucket' hat, who speaks with an Afrikaans accent, and complains that nobody knows what Kwanzaa is. He's giving out, for presents, books entitled 'What the hell IS Kwanzaa, anyway?'

Bender is eventually shot by the Professor, put on trial, sentanced to death, and about to be executed. All his friends pull the 'I'm santa! No, I'm santa! And I'm his buddy Jesus!' routine.

Meanwhile, back on Neptune, the factory's pollution has created a greenhouse effect, and SantaBot is freed! He goes to earth, frees Bender (Thanks for helping me with Xmas while I was trapped. Bender, with your nose so bright, won't you help me SLAY tonight?) with a memorable line from crab-boy as Jesus ("Save us from SantaBot, Jesus!" "I help those who help themselves! (flees in terror)"), another meeting with KwanzaBot, who tells us that the Chanukah Zombie is throwing a party, and that's about it.

Absolutely hilarious, and I can see why they wouldn't want any children seeing it.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Kwanzaa is a holiday that was basically made up by leaders of some African American groups as a "Black Christmas", supposedly dating wayyyy back in Africa. No one seems to care [​IMG]

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I liked when Kwanzaa-bot was talking about giving out the Kwanzaa present to everyone, which was a book titled "What the Hell is Kwanzaa, anyway?"

11. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

Boy was I smart to set my vcr from nine to ten last night. My tv listings stated that Futurama would be on at 9PM. It was on at 9:30PM. This episode described very well on an earlier post on this forum was absolutely demented and hilarious. I liked the comment relating that the Santa Robot is to invoke fear into everybody so they will be closer together on XMAX eve. Actually, it is a tale of "demented terrorism". Perhaps that is one reason perhaps Fox was hesitant to air it after all the real events of terrorism that occurred this year. It was defintely no "kids" cartoon show.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

After watching it, my dad said "well that wasn't really in the Christmas spirit, now was it?" and I responded with "but it was pretty funny, now wasn't it?"

13. Shane Archer

Shane Archer Agent

The only place the episode had aired before last week was at the San Diego ComiCon last year during Matt Groening's Futurama panel discussion.
    I thought it was quite funny the first time and just as funny the second.
    But I can definitely see where the censors had a problem with it -- violence, violence, violence. Especially because we're not talking "cartoon violence" here, we're talking Professor Farnsworth pulling out a shotgun and shooting Bender at pointblank range over and over.
    Not that there's really anything wrong with that. [​IMG]

14. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The new Christmas episode is in the same vein as one of the Married...With Children Christmas episodes. Basically the Married... episode in question dealt with a mall Santa Claus dying from a freak accident and Al had to take over as Santa. Apparantly a reference to a dead Santa is disturbing to young children so this episode ran with a disclaimer.
    An almost similar disclaimer ran with Futurama's new Christmas episode. Why? References to Santa Claus being an evil person who hurts CHILDREN! Remember the first child writes a letter to Santa asking him NOT to give her anything because the bike he gave her last year made her insides hurt. The second child asks for a coffin for his grandfather because Santa shot a chestnut down his throat and Grandpa has been in his room for a year(the gag: "He's starting to smell a lot like Christmas, if you know what I mean [​IMG]). Other problems with the episode...the violence towards Santa Claus/Bender Claus, the elf's "odd" affection for one another, and the violence inflicted by Santa Claus AND Bender at the end of the episode. This was definitely a Christmas episode aimed at adults and not children. Just like the Married...With Children episode I briefly described earlier.

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Okay! I downloaded the episode off the Internet and now I know what all the hub-bub is all about. For me, the episode is a liberation from all the crappy, sappy Christmas specials that are constantly shoved down our throats each and every year. An evil Santa is fine by me especially since the current fat and red Santa is actually an advertising icon originally created by the Coca Cola company.

As for Kwaanza, I'll look it up now that I actually have an idea of what it is.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. Francois Caron

Francois Caron
    Oh crap! You mean I can't blame a huge corporation for excessively commercializing Christmas? Bummer! [​IMG]