What's new

Has SVS even been reviewed in the magazines? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if this is in the works. I mean if SVS makes the greatest subs for the money, why shouldn't they be reviewed instead of much of the crap that makes it into the magazines. I subscribe to every major HT magazine and am sure I haven't seen any reviews, but maybe I missed something.
Or maybe TV and Ron don't want the publicity due to the huge increase in orders they would likely receive.
I also thought I remember reading ahile back theat Tom Nousaine was going to measure and report on SVS. Did this ever happen?
------------------
My Home Theater

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Gregg, post this question the main Hardware section, and you'll get an answer. I did read that one magazine did a review, though I forget which one. Another thing to consider is the cost of actually placing an ad in magazines (very costly).
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gregg,
I believe the review was in The Absolute Sound. Nousaine called it the best sub $1000 could buy! This was for the dual 20-39's and amp.
Brian
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I always get those two magazines confused!
Thanks for setting me straight, Jon!
Brian
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Right, The Sensible Sound.
TN liked the woofs, but didnt think much of the loud fan on the Fidek. We've corrected that already of course.
a single 20-39cs with/300w hit...
20hz/91dB
25hz/105.8dB
31hz/114.9dB
25-63hz(avg)109.5dB
that's using a 10%thd limit...two meters from the subwoofer in TN's large 7500 cu-ft room.
TN only measured the single enclosure(although we sent him a full dual 20-39cs/600w package) and indicated you should add 6dBs across the board if both cylinders were connected. So that would be...
20hz/97dB
25hz/111.8dB
31hz/120.9dB
25-63hz/115.5dB
If you compensate the dual 20-39cs package to TN's smaller(more typical)room which is about 2200 cu-ft...you'd get...
20hz/105.1dB
25hz/115.4dB
31hz/124.2dB
25-63hz/118.0dB
SVS just got a review posted by John Kotches at the *secrets* website. And we have something else about to be published in T$$(just being submitted, probably be a couple months til it hits the newsstands.
Not bad for 13 months into it...
TV

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Don't forget, magazines exist to push merchandise for companies that can spend large budgets on big ads. Just look at the wording on the covers if you don't think this is what they exist for. This is not negative towards magazines, it's just that that's what they exist for. Information flowing on the internet, such as has happened with SVS, is something new that will change the magazine scene as time goes by.
While I have no inside information, my guess is that SVS puts out an outstanding sub at an extremely attractive price becuase they don't waste a lot of money on things like ads, ad agencies, marketing departments, etc. They also seem to have developed a sub the performs well beyond it's price point.
It seems that it is still possible for a good product to become successful becuase of it's performance and not with a glitzy advertising department. How refreshing.
Deane

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Tom,
It's not your bad at all, the official name of the site is Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity after all
biggrin.gif

URL as listed previous :)
Regards,

J

John Morris

I am a cynical, distrustful bastard when it comes to my personal electonics and my "wife approved" buying slush fund used to buy stuff that I want.
That said, Maybe, "secrets", ought to refer to the SVS subwoofers themselves. Most folks aren't as lucky as us at HTF, as we have gotten to know these subs, and their makers, from the ground up. We followed these guys from independent advice in the DIY and other forums to the point where they said... we can do it better for less. And they have! They currently offer the best customer service that I can see at the end user level. Fortunately, they offer that support on some of the best products offered too. Ron and TV, hopefully, will be used, in the future, as models at MBA courses to show how local boys make good. In my opinion, they are there now... or at least their subs are!
Anyway, I am merely waiting for PayPal to transfer the money, from the sale of one of my previously loved components, to my slush fund bank account before I buy my third subwoofer from them. I want a new ULTRA!!!
I am buying this subwoofer unreviewed... unseen, and unheard. I recommend you do the same... quickly, before the rest of the world knows what we know, and what we hear...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
[Edited last by John Morris on July 14, 2001 at 02:23 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks