Has my DST 3000 HD Box Blown Up????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Brashear, May 13, 2002.

1. Kevin Brashear

Gang,
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    For the past few weeks, my month old Tosh DST 3000 box has been acting up. It started with a little bit of audio weirdness. Now, it won't find ANY satellite stations. It finds local/local hi-def SOME of the time. At first, it just lost track of a couple satellite stations. Then, it lost track of all of them. Then...it found them again, now....they're GONE again and won't come back. Is it just me? Could the wind have blown my dish out of line? (doubtful)
    I fully understand the new technology aspect, but geez! 700 bucks for a converter box that goes ~poof~ after a month? [​IMG]
    I'm freaked out!!! Help please!! Advice? Phone numbers to call? Different box to buy? I'm hooked on my hi-def now, I can't go back... I'm ready to punt this thing!
    Regards,
    Kevin in Cincinnati
    (listening to good ole' CD's now, not watching TV)

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

You need to check your dish to make sure it has'nt moved.
    Also check your cable connections, make sure they are tightly connected to the source. I had a problem with my 1st DST-3000 last year and returned it within 30 days for a new one. I purchased an extended warranty at that time too in case of future problems.
    Do you have any trees near your Dish? Sometimes, when it's windy my signal strength goes haywire because of blowing trees etc.
    Do you have an antenna to pick up local stations. If you don't, you could go to RadioShack and pick up a Double Bowtie for $15. Take that home and hook it up and see if you can pull in your local stations and lock on them.
    The only other option is take it to the store where you purchased it and try and exchange it. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Kevin Brashear

Frank,

Thanks for weighing in. My system was perfect for a month. It was only windy for one day, and the dish is so tightly mounted I could probably swing from it and not move it. Also, there is a giant UHF antenna mounted on my roof. I've even gotten Hi-Def stations from both Cincinnati and Dayton. It was strange how the stations stopped working. First, a few of them were not available. Then, they were all gone. Later, I scanned them again and they were back. Then, they all went away and haven't come back. I double checked all the connections, even though I was pretty sure they weren't the culprit.

I'm going to take this box back to the store. I just tried and it gets a ZERO signal strength on all the Satellite channels, and only picked up one of 4 Hi-Def local channels.

Thanks Frank!

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Kevin, if you need more help, I would suggest checking out
    www.avsforum.com Go into the HDTV Programming forum and perform a search under Toshiba DST-3000. There is wealth of info there. Good luck! [​IMG]