What's new

Has Herbert Ross been forgotten on bluray? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Then the hogs must be real clean. I speak from experience. With HD I spend lots of time with the revolving circle as Windows buffers. Not to mention that Verizon Wireless is metered and that's lots of data usage. Even unlimited puts on the brakes barely halfway through the month.

You know what? I owe you an apology here.

I passed over the fact that you said: "Verizon Wireless" for home Internet.

So, you are using phone data for home Internet? That's rather odd. Is there not any kind of Internet offered in your town?

Yes, certainly, you are going to get a crap picture all-around with that kind of service. Just wondering why you are using it in the home.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is still a pile of us who do not wish to stream...we want to own.

There are two kinds of streaming: subscription services and storefronts. If you purchase a movie at a storefront, you own it.

I’m not going to try to make an argument that you should prefer one format over another; we all like what we like and there are perfectly valid reasons for that.

But I think it’s disingenuous to say that you can only own something with a disc, and can never own something digitally.

Every digital movie or television purchase I’ve ever made is still available to me. I’ve been using digital for film/tv content in some form or another since about 2006. Every disc that I’ve purchased since 2006 is not available to me; most are fine but a not insignificant number have failed or gone bad since the purchase date.

It is frustrating to someone like me who sees the objective merits of both formats to hear it insisted over and over that only a disc can guarantee something, when I keep pulling now unplayable discs off my shelf and when I’ve never had a problem with any digital version.

I don’t want this to be yet another disc vs digital thread. Why can’t we acknowledge that someone was trying to be helpful in pointing out that some of the requested titles are already available in one format in case that could benefit any reader, rather than disparaging the format?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you buy a title on digital YOU OWN IT.

These stories about the studios revoking movies are just too far-fetched.

Something like that MAY have happened once or twice under very extreme circumstances, but I am not worried about any of my digital purchases disappearing.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
You know what? I owe you an apology here.

I passed over the fact that you said: "Verizon Wireless" for home Internet.

So, you are using phone data for home Internet? That's rather odd. Is there not any kind of Internet offered in your town?

Yes, certainly, you are going to get a crap picture all-around with that kind of service. Just wondering why you are using it in the home.

In my area there is NO wired internet. No Comcast, no FIOS, no Cox Cable. Only Verizon Wireless on a hotspot. Same contract as the cell phones. Satellite internet (Hughes) is even slower and less reliable.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are two kinds of streaming: subscription services and storefronts. If you purchase a movie at a storefront, you own it.

I’m not going to try to make an argument that you should prefer one format over another; we all like what we like and there are perfectly valid reasons for that.

But I think it’s disingenuous to say that you can only own something with a disc, and can never own something digitally.
I don't want to own something digitally when a well-mastered Blu-ray can offer better image quality

Every digital movie or television purchase I’ve ever made is still available to me. I’ve been using digital for film/tv content in some form or another since about 2006. Every disc that I’ve purchased since 2006 is not available to me; most are fine but a not insignificant number have failed or gone bad since the purchase date.

It is frustrating to someone like me who sees the objective merits of both formats to hear it insisted over and over that only a disc can guarantee something, when I keep pulling now unplayable discs off my shelf and when I’ve never had a problem with any digital version.

I don’t want this to be yet another disc vs digital thread. Why can’t we acknowledge that someone was trying to be helpful in pointing out that some of the requested titles are already available in one format in case that could benefit any reader, rather than disparaging the format?

I do not disparage the format per se. I acknowledge its appeal and usefulness for those who accept the somewhat lower quality and potential for disappearing without notice. What I do disparage is not having the choice. Netflix is withholding all but a few of its releases from physical disc. Amazon may do this also. Nowadays, that's a sizable chunk of the choice I once had for purchasing actual copies of movies I want to watch with optimal PQ and extra features and top-notch sound.

Sorry this perpetuates the "disc vs. digital" argument, but I am vehement about it.

But, back to Herbert Ross, just to steer this back to the OP, I would buy nearly any film of his that emerges on Blu-ray. PENNIES FROM HEAVEN is my most-wanted. I just can't get enough of the choreography in that.

Last edited:

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Yes, OWL & THE PUSSYCAT is up for preorder in HD on iTunes. It’s released March 3 ..... I’m excited, just hope Columbia/Sony will provide the unedited version where Streisand says the f-word. All home video versions on dvd have been edited. You have to go back to vhs tapes & laser disk to hear her say that line.

one quick comment about streaming ..... I’ve never had any problems with the digital films I own — except Star Wars/Disney. Yes, when the new 4K Disney+ versions came out last year, they magically overwrote my iTunes files, so now I have Greedo saying “Mcklursky” (or whatever that last insane change was.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, OWL & THE PUSSYCAT is up for preorder in HD on iTunes. It’s released March 3 ..... I’m excited, just hope Columbia/Sony will provide the unedited version where Streisand says the f-word. All home video versions on dvd have been edited. You have to go back to vhs tapes & laser disk to hear her say that line.

I will probably buy this. I have never seen it before so it will be a blind purchase.

As far as the unedited version is concerned, I doubt that Sony knows its product enough to even realize what they are releasing.

I hope I am wrong about that

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Columbia made the edit in Owl & The Pussycat themselves in order to get a PG rating for a theatrical reissue way back when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks