HAS FOX RAISED LIST PRICE ON CLASSICS?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by KellyBo, Aug 2, 2006.

1. KellyBo

KellyBo Auditioning

Deep Discount DVD is now having a big FOX sale on their classic DVD film, but I notice the list price on these items have gone way up. For example all former $14.99 lists are now $16.99. WEEKEND IN HAVANA and STORMY WEATHER now list for $24.95. BETTY GRABLE COLLECTION and MR. MOTO COLLECTION now list for a whopping $89.95. I am hoping this is some sort of mistake since DVDPLANET and AMAZON are still listing old prices. This seems like complete greed on FOX's part. The Grable set is now on sale at DDD for $59.95 which was formerly the list price. Raising $30 is quite ridiculous, especially for four films. If this is not a mistake you can count me out on buying most upcoming FOX classic releases. WBHV has kept their prices at a minimum. FOX thinking is totally wrong and will backfire on them in over pricing DVD classics.

2. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    Are you sure you're not on their Canadian site?

3. KellyBo

KellyBo Auditioning

You were right Scott. Somehow I must have gotten to the Canadian site. What a relief. I couldn't understand that HUGH hike. I am already spending more dough than ever for classic films on DVD and would hate to see prices go way up.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I have to say that I do think they overcharge for their older films in certain cases (though the SHirley Temples and the Studio Classics are VERY reasonable). I was astonished how much they were asking for the three film package JAYNE MANSFIELD COLLECTION.

5. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

And yet I will hand it over happily.

6. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Amazon is having a special right now where you can order the Mansfield and Grable sets together for $55.

7. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

And you can get the Mansfield box by itself right now at Amazon for just $29.99.

Also they are running a sale for all of the Fox classics (Studio & Noir, plus selected others) for about $7.90 per title.

8. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

This is no surprise. I've heard that Fox's classic titles haven't been selling that well lately, and specifically their Betty Grable set was a sales disaster. Serious disaster. Fox must be in panic mode.....

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    If Grable was a sales disaster it's because $60 MSRP for 4 films was too darn high. Even discounted, it's still too much for 4 films appealing to a niche audience.

My local Costco got an ample supply of the Chan and Grable sets. The Chan sets were snapped up fairly quickly. The pent up demand for Chan certainly helped sales of that set despite the high price. The Grable sets just sat there week after week; I think 1 box might have been sold.

Most Warners boxes, which often offer 2 more films for the same price, seem to move fairly well.

I hate to sound like a broken record on this, but I know I'm not alone on this: Fox needs to seriously rethink their pricing strategy on classic film box sets and consider who their target audience is.

10. Sean A

Sean A Stunt Coordinator

I think, sad to say, they missed the boat on things like The Betty Grable Collection. I simply don't think there's enough of an audience interested in a Betty Grable these days to make it feasible. Unlike, say ,Monroe or Bogart or Brando or Davis, or even Garland, she was such a star of her era, but I don't think she means much to people outside that demographic

11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

That's the point I was making. That's $10 per Jayne Mansfield film while other classics are less than $8. Warners' films in their boxsets are sometimes less than $7 each at discount. A few dollars here or there do add up eventually.

12. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

I rarely post anything relating to price - particularly relating to classics as I have always supported these releases - even blind ones. Buy I gotta say, this last wave from Fox has even me somewhat put off by their pricing. After spending the afternoon (unsuccessfully) looking for the Moto set today, I checked Amazon.ca which has it listed for $72 bucks CDN. I wound up ordering it from Amazon.com for $36 US due to a larger discount. If it wasn't for the substantial Amazon discount right now, I might very well have passed on this set - like I most likely will on the Rogers set.

Sadly, I'm aware of the consequences of us not buying these sets, but considering the limited fanbase, Fox needs to re-think their pricing structure, not gouge those of us who are supporting these.

13. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

I can't say a $60 MSRP, $35 street price is outrageous for a four disc set. It's only because they're going against Warners that it seems out of whack -- given the choice between paying $35-40 for five or six films, and $30-35 for three or four, I'm going with the Warners set. I just picked up the Mansfield and Grable sets from Amazon because $55 for seven films is the upper bound of what I consider a reasonable price.

But in Fox's defense, I will say that their pricing of individual titles is much better than Warners. The only title in the James Stewart Signature Collection that's a must-have for me is The Naked Spur, but the cheapest I can find it is $13.37 for what's essentially a bare-bones disc. If Fox released it, it'd probably be under $10.

14. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

You're probably right. But I don't think it's just a matter of appealing to the age demographic that directly experienced these films. If in fact sales have been poor, Fox could help offset whatever losses they incurred by adopting a similar pricing structure to Warners. I recently bought the 6 film Errol Flynn Signature Collection for $19! When the prices come down this low, even people unfamiliar with the name are more likely to take a chance because "at this price, it's cheaper than renting." That's the sort of the logic that leads people buy dollar DVDs at Wal-Mart (or junk food) - not so much that they like the films but rather that they are there for next to nothing.

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

I don't disagree with you, but the problem is that $35 is not the street price in most cases. Amazon will occasionally lower these to $35.97 for a pre-order price. Costco has carried some, but not all, of the Fox sets for $35.88. Most other e-tailers charge $42 - $45 for these. The brick and mortar stores, which still account for a lot of sales, sell these for $50 (Best Buy,etc) - $60 (Borders, etc.) . In an era where Warner packs more films in their boxes for the same price and Universal puts out collections for much less (albeit on problematic DVDs for some consumers) Fox's pricing structure seems out of whack with what the market will bear.

Fox also needs to do a better job of getting the word out about these. Their current strategy seems to be to let internet message boards get the word out. That worked with the Chan/Moto sets since there are plenty of genre based communities out there. However the people who bought those probably aren't the same ones who buy Betty Grable musicals.

I see Amazon has just lowered the price of the Grable set to $29.47 which is probably close to what it should have been all along. It'll be interesting to see if this is Amazon's way of dumping tons of unsold inventory or if it's Fox's way to test a new price point.

Steve

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's all about what sales strategy each studio is utilizing. Warner is pricing their boxsets in a way that most consumers will make the decision to buy the boxset and not the individual title. It's all about maximizing units sold at a price level that Warner can make a profit on and thus, continue their marketing of classic films to dvd.

My displeasure with Fox's price structure on their boxsets is well-documented on this forum so I don't have much to say about their strategy except I think it's costing them units sold.

Crawdaddy

17. BrianHass

BrianHass Stunt Coordinator

Brian Hassel
    I believe the price trend with Fox has been to set the price higher and get as much as they can at first and then begin to lower the price. Fox titles always seem to end up at clearance prices. So to start with a low msrp and then end up clearing them out at a discount price in the future just doesn't seem to be good business sense.

18. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Speaking of clearance.....

For the members in the Los Angeles area, Amoeba Records in Hollywood now has the Grable set for $16.95! They still have quite a few of them left (I picked up one today). I was there just two weeks ago and they were $24.95 then. I picked up the 3 disc Gable set then for $24.95, but you can be certain that if they still have many of them left over a few weeks from now, they too will likely experience a nice price drop as well. The Mansfield set was $34.95, but this seems to be selling better than the Gable & Grable sets, and Amoeba doesn't appear to have many of them in stock ($34.95 is till more than I'm willing to pay for the Mansfield set - drop them another $10.00 then we're in business!).

I am glad I waited on these titles.

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Just be glad they're not still pricing each movie at $34.99, like they were in the beginning!

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    From DVD Active. Note that Fox is charging $26 MSRP per title for these single disc classics. If this is their new pricing structure for single discs not only have they priced themselves out of the box set market, they're going to price themselves out of the single disc market as well.