What's new

Has Fox dropped the Ball?? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Has fox dropped the ball? Yes, on *many* shows... and No on many others. There are many series that Fox has released to completion. Many of which I find myself scratching my head over wondering just *who* is purchasing such "crap" (IMHO). It must be selling 'cause it's all out?!?!

I fully understand the economics behind TVonDVD releases but series that are just shy of completion being abandoned? That's just a slap in the face to loyal fans. Of course I'm speaking of "The Bob Newhart Show" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" specifically.

It always saddens me to have season 1 of a much loved series come out and then discover there's little hope of future releases... "Newhart" anyone? Or it was butchered to save money on licensing... "WKRP"... Or half a series... "King of the Hill"...

Plus those series people seem to be clamoring for that are languishing in the vaults. "The Many Loves of Doby Gillis", "Batman", and "The Green Hornet" to name 3 high profile ones that seem to be waiting for rights/licensing issues to be cleared up.

Basically, if it's a Fox release I've gotten to where I'll wait for season 2 or 3 before I'll pick up season 1. Yeah, I know it's a "catch-22" scenario but I've been burned too many times by Fox to do otherwise.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Where's Boston Public? Chicago Hope? Both shows were nominated for Emmys and won a few in different categories. I would buy full sets of these shows.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Regarding Boston Public and Chicago Hope, I would be interested in those too. As well as further releases for David E. Kelley's other shows, Picket Fences and The Practice, both brilliant series that only got one release each back in June 2007.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA IS ON IT'S WAY TO PORT!!! WHAT GREAT NEWS TO RECEIVE FROM MR JAMES FINN OF 20TH CENTURY FOX. MY FAITH HAS BEEN RESTORED IN STALLED TV SERIES!!! SOMEONE NOW SHOULD START A THREAD STALLED SERIES BY SONY.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I believe in 20th Century Fox!!! Peyton Place has a very sound fan base. The TV series dialog has a charming way of talking about subjects that were blurted out on Dallas. Yes I am a Dallas fan as well the first 10 seasons anyway. I watched "Garden of Evil" tonight. I thought this is why I love this studio. I cannot wait for blu-ray of Marilyn Monroe and the movie "Laura". Fans Voyage is coming out with out a doubt. I firmly believe there shall be a release of Peyton Place in 2011. Thankyou Fox for your monthly email release's. I also congratulate you on your 75th year. James Coburn narrated a history of the studio a few years back. I would love to see an update with more out takes of Fox classic films. Mr Finn thankyou so very much for giving out info on this forum about Fox properties.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I understand why some releases get dropped for economical reasons. The studios are, of course, businesses - not charities. They exist to make a profit, and if they don't they fail.

However, if there's one thing I wish Fox would do (aside from releasing my wanted shows of course), it would be to communicate with the fans. You just get this wall of silence from them, and the fans get left dangling.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is a good example. We had a 17-month gap between S3 and S4 and now at least a 20 month gap assuming the final box is on it's way. What made that first big wait tolerable was Fox saying "we haven't dropped the show, but can't give you any dates".

Between March 2009 and now we got nothing. Just a silence.

of course, if Fox had said "we have no plans to release the last 13 episodes" it would have been really bad news. But even that is better than not knowing, and living with a faint but constantly fading hope.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
we have received news from Fox that the last 13 episodes will be released soon. check out the thread on Voyage for the news.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Well, a Fox executive was kind enough to post some news in these forums. I don't think that's really what I would call a policy of communication from the studio - it's just a kindness from an individual who is fortuitously high enough in the chain of command to be able to that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure that people "lower down" wouldn't do so, you can get into real trouble for making unofficial announcements like that espescially given the way that the news spreads like wildfire across the net these days.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I appreciate the response from a Fox insider. It was very kind and considerate of him to address the concerns in this thread.

I don't know if he is still reading it but I would like to ask again about shows like Chicago Hope, and am wondering why this has not been released. I wouldn't think music rights would be a problem with it. Boston Public did contain a lot of music, but it is one of my Holy Grails on DVD and I am going to cling to the childish hope that I may see it someday.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Well it seems that its time to top post this topic again, given the absolute stupidity and/or utter carelessness of Fox for neglecting to include the final curtain call or the just released Season 7 Mary Tyler Moore set. This is despite the fact that it says on very large letters on the back of the box, "INCLUDING THE FINAL CURTAIN CALL FROM 'THE LAST SHOW'". I believe that Fox also announced in their press release for this set that it would be included, and it was also posted on TV Shows on DVD.

Fox certainly needs to make this right. Just ignoring it and hoping it will go away, or including it on the complete series set and trying to make everyone double dip would not be a solution. I'm very angered by the way Fox has handled the entire MTM series (and many TV on DVD releases in general, but MTM in particular). Really, Fox should just make this right and quickly. And somebody deserves to get fired.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Great Studio 20th Century Fox. The Studio which has produced countless classic films and tv series. What is the positon of Fox Studios on the TV Series released to Shout!Factory???

I cannot understand why Shout and Fox cannot come to some compromise???

I would like to know if Fox plan's to begin MOD with their classic tv series??

The Twilight Classic Movie Series is fantastic!!!

Fox can you give us any info on the future of the Fox release's to Shout??

I love your TV Series as most fans do.

Fox relesed the last oF Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I still thank Fox Studio for that release and James Finn.

Mr Finn would you like to comment on the Shout Fox connection ?? I have alway defended Fox studios. I will understand if you cannot give us info at this time.

I sure wish we could get some answers on our favorite Fox tv Series.

The release of more Peyton Place would be my question. I am sure my question is not a shock to anyone on this forum.

I also think The Big Valley seems to be asked about from many fans.

I would like any info on the dead in the water Fox TV series connected with Shout??

Why will Fox not release their TV Series to MPI???

Thanks for the tv series you have put out.

The restoration you do at the Fox Studio on your TV Series beats all DVDs on the market!!!

Manny Manny Thanks to the people who are responsible for the fantastic job they do on your TV Series!!!

The Egyptian coming out for the first time in HD. I am sure this is a must buy for all Fox Classic Film Fans. Marilyn Monroe of course is at the top of my HD list Song Of Bernedette and my favorite movie of all time LAURA.

Sorry Fans for off topic.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm still trying to figure out why they are being such pains in the rear end when it comes to letting VCI do the remainder of "Burke's Law." I only wish there'd been more people raising these concerns about the conduct of Fox long before it suddenly became an issue with titles licensed to Shout.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That's not the impression I got. Consistently it was ranked as one of the biggest sellers on VCI's website, and e-mails I sent to them throughout 2009 and 2010 talked of them still being in negotiations to release the rest and that they still wanted to do so.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jack have you ever thought of suggesting the show to other companies that Fox might work with.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Where is there any indication that Fox is willing to work with *anyone* right now? The experience with VCI only proves that Fox is willing to play hardball with *every* potential label that might want to license a title.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jack this exactly why I wanted to bring this thread up again. I think there is a great many problems people have with Fox home entertainment. I of course have mine with Peyton Place. We Voyage fans had our problems with Fox and they were resolved here on this thread I believe.

Who knows maybe Mr Finn will post on this thread as he did before for some other Fox properties.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I cannot help but wonder if FOX is hedging its bets, because they MIGHT be planning a "Warner Archive" sort of enterprise for the future?

It's not beyond possibility, and business types never tip their hand on things like this, until it's assured and ready for Press Release!

Possible?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Joe I hope MOD does happen with Fox. I just want to state this about FOX. I still believe the stuido is interested in giving rights of their shows to other companies. I just wish I had kept my mouth shut about MPI wanting Peyton PLace. I also want to say once again how sorry I am to the person who gave me that info. I just was plain stupid not to keep that under my hat.

Voyage was finished when we all had given up on the show. I know their is a great deal of anger out there at all the major studios. The word greed is used along with others.

I remember deep in this thread Mr Finn saying they were fans of these show's too. I love 20th Century Fox TV Series and most of all there movies. Fans of Fox shows please do not give up yet.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Fox isn't doing MOD yet themselves with movies other than to license 100 movie titles through the "Twilight Time" label that are being released through film music seller Screen Archives Entertainment in 3000 edition pressings (pressed discs). Screen Archives won't be doing any TV series though (the movies made available so far are "The Kremlin Letter", "Fate Is The Hunter" and next month "The Egyptian")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks