What's new

Has express.com gotten back to the top? (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
How well have they done since going back to basic's with dvd only?
Has anyone gotten pre-order's from them?
------------------
yahoo.messenger: billsfan71
MY DVD'S

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'll be interested to see how many people respond. I suspect a lot of former Express customers have moved on to other vendors (etail or B&M). I know I have.
M.

Jerry F

Auditioning
Nope, I'd say that Express.com has NOT gotten back to the top. Prices were decent, so I thought I'd give them another shot. I pre-ordered ST:TMP on Oct 2. It was released last Tuesday, but I didn't get an invoice in the mail until today. It apparently went out in the mail yesterday (11-10). I'm glad this stuff doesn't bother me too much (this ones a Christmas gift, anyway), but this bode well for the future. Oh, well. It was worth a shot, anyway.
Jerry Ferguson

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gone back. I thought things were peachy keen when I was using them before exclusively but when they folded and I moved onto DVDEmpire, I found I liked DVDEmpire far too much to move back to Express. It may not be a big deal to some, but I like getting my releases early or on the release date versus 5-6 days after release as was the case with Express.com. I don't even visit the site anymore.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
In the "early days" of the format, there was always much talk about where to get the big deals, best bargains, etc., etc. The 40% off was a benchmark - quite a number of etailers did it, including Express, Reel, and others.
Express gets back into the game after it ruined its own reputation with the way it shut down, and at a time when prices are pretty stable accross the board. Amazon, 800.com Laser's Edge and others are close on price and service is what people seem to focus on now the most.
I can't see Express succeeding: in the absence of great prices and former lack of good service, there are no compelling reasons to go back.
On the other hand, Express may benefit from the huge influx of online shopping, particularly from customers who are new to DVD (there are thousands each month) and don't know any better!
I stick with those whom I know have given me good pricing and solid service. Express was not, and is not one of those.

Mark_R

Agent
I was an Express customer until they started having trouble. Now DvdEmpire is my vendor of choice, though for some titles I go to DeepDiscountDVD. Every now and then I'll check DvdExpress' website and have found no compelling reason to return. Price and selection is better at DvdEmpire and the ability to view/modify orders prior to shipping is excellent. Last I check DvdExpress' preorder selection (99% of my orders) was majorly lacking in comparision to DvdEmpire. Also, I have not heard about any improvements to their ability to acquire product and ship in a timely manner.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Plus people like me in California have to pay sales tax (8.25%) with express. Tax = no sale.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
This has always bothered me from the beginning about Express.com.
* Multiple disc sets are counted as multiple items.
They are the only online retailer that I've ever seen do this with DVDs. So if you buy The Godfather set from them, you have to pay shipping rates the same as ordering 5 individual DVDs.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
They are the only online retailer that I've ever seen do this with DVDs. So if you buy The Godfather set from them, you have to pay shipping rates the same as ordering 5 individual DVDs.
Unfortunately, dvdplanet went to this earlier this year (at the same time they raised their rates). A truly ridiculous way to do things, and one of the main reasons that all the dvds I used to buy at dvdplanet are mostly bought at lasers edge now (not only do they not count each disc separately, they still have flat shipping regardless of the number of dvds).
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd add my reply to dvdexpress here...
They certainly haven't brought me back, instead they are cementing their position in the companies I won't order from!
--------------------------------------------------------
Is this right? I ordered on 7/27, got an order cancellation months later, and now you've decided to ship it?!?
I ordered it and will accept this order, but don't expect any more business from me. Time was I bought almost all of my online dvds from dvdexpress, before it went down the tubes as express.com. Now there is almost no incentive for me to get dvds online. Prices have gone up (to almost equal B&M stores), as has shipping, and although _sometimes_ there are better selections online, the customer service is generally no better than from a misinformed, apathetic Best Buy employee.
Sincerely,
Vanessa Verzwyvelt
DVD Express wrote:
Thank you for shopping at DVD Express!
Please come back soon!
Express Media Group, Inc.
5890 West Jefferson Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90016
www.dvdexpress.com
Order Number: 02980967
Date: 07/27/01 Invoice Date: 11/20/01
NOTE: You are only invoiced for items that have shipped.
From: [email protected] | Block Address | Add to Address Book
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Order Update from Express.com
Date: 24 Aug 2001 17:18:00 -0700
Dear Vanessa Verzwyvelt,
Your order 02980967 with Express.com contains both in stock and out of stock merchandise. To get your order to you more quickly, we have shipped you the items that we now have in stock. You should have received an order confirmation e-mail telling you which items shipped.
Your credit card was only billed for the items shipped.
The remainder of your order contains items that Express.com will not be re-stocking and therefore the rest of your order will be canceled. It may take a few days for Express.com to process the cancellation.
We sincerely apologize for the cancellation of the remainder of your order. If you have any questions, please contact customer service at [email protected].
Thank you for your patience and assistance.
Order Processing Department
Express.com
P.S. We apologize if you received a blank email from us earlier
I have edited the shipment statement, but you can see that this order was placed on 7/27 and shipped today, 11/20. Below that is an email from Express.com on the status of my order on 8/24 which said if it was in stock it would ship and if not the order was cancelled. It took them 3 months to ship what was in stock?!? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks