Has DVD Changed your CD-buying Habits?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

DVD is evil!

It is bad enough that, after years of resisting LD, I recently bought a LD player so I could enjoy those favorite titles we all want and won't get for some time on DVD.

Even worse, since I got into DVD, I buy fewer off-the-shelf CDs from Walmart et al, and find my Telarc bill (to mention but one) going through the roof. I am more selective, buy less, and spend more. I am far more focussed on quality, DTS cd, SACD, etc. What's up with that?

Anyone else altering their CD/music buying habits since the advent of DVD?

2. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

YES! Big time for me. I buy maybe 3-5 CD's a year and I get 25-35 DVD's a year. There was a time when I was buying that many CD's but never again. Plus, it's the state of music these days as well that's holding me back.

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Well, I don't think, for me, that DVD's are taking away from my CD spending. I do spend more on DVD now, but frankly, music sucks these days. If something comes out that I want, I'll buy it. It's that simple.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Same here. I buy many more dvds than cds these days.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I don't buy many CD's these days, not because of DVD, but because I own all the good CD's that I know about. So until good bands put out some new disc's, or some new bands worth listening to come around, I won't be buying any more CD's.

6. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking about this exact thing a lot these days and it is funny that you bring it up here. I used to just go into the used CD store and almost always come out with something. Now I just think about the DVD I could buy instead. I just buy the CDs that I really really want and already know are coming from a good band. Like right now as an example I want to get my hands on the Rufus Wainwright CDs but always hold off and what do you know? I've bought another DVD instead. And this kind of bugs me because I do enjoy music.

-Eric

7. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

With RAP dominating the scene, turn on MTV it's like a pimps lair. Please wait while I take my ebonics lesson...Mebad? A+ Whew...Passed the test. Very, very scary, thank GOD we have DVD's. I have over 3,000 CDs and they pretty much stop at the 80's. There has not been anything listenable since then.

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

For me, it is based on several things. Buying DVDs has gotten me into the thinking of collection of quality titles and not based on quantity. This has extended to my CD collection, which I have sold off/traded away to pare it down to the quality essentials. Nothing with less than three quality songs I say. So then I got to exploring new music, and most of the stuff worth buying is much older. The stuff today is absolutely worthless so far, with the odd one hit wonder that is really worth the CD purchase. Even the 'quality' smaller bands are borrowing so heavily from their predecessors that I think to myself "They sound so much like Iggy and the Stooges that I should just go our and buy one of their albums instead".

So, unless there is a real revelation like we had from Seattle in the 90s, I don't think I'll be buying new CDs, only finding older ones.

9. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Agent

Amount of DVD's very stable at about 7-10 a month. Cd's have dropped to 1 every other month or less from the 5-10 a month range. Too damm little to listen to. Figured most of the MTV watchers where there for the visuals vs the music. If I want it I buy it, but do not find much worth spending the bucks for.

10. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Visuals? LOL! MTV?

11. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I have never bought a CD in my entire life, but DVD has changed my buying habits for other things.

12. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

I'm always into buying something for entertainment, and therefore still have my lps, vhs, and laser discs. The year before I started into DVD, I bought a lot (few a week) of CDs, all kinds from rock, classical and jazz. Since DVD, I've bought mostly DVD, now up to 2-4/week, and only a few cds a month. Partly as said before, I'm not totally thrilled with new music, and when I like something, I can get a copy off the internet. If I really like it, or another song by same band, I'll go for the CD.

13. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I have most of the music I really want (Weird Al and The Beatles).

I do collect film scores now, so if I see a good one on CD that I'd like, I'll get it.

I already have North By Northwest, Lawrence of Arabia, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Shrek, and Fantasia 2000 on CD. I have my eyes set on Fantasia, FOTR, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Godfather Trilogy (30th Anniv), E.T., Vertigo, and some of the Alloy Orchestra CD's for silent films (includes some tracks for The Unknown!)

15. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I don't buy that many CDs anymore, but that's not because of DVDs. I've got just about every CD I want, and not that many new CDs come out that I want to buy.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

17. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Mike, my DVD collection keeps expanding rapidly as well! [​IMG]

18. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I have definatly started sinking money into DVD rather than CD's. Probiably because im not as into the music that is being released not. If a new Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails or Cake CD comes out ill be in line on opening day to get it but that is about it. I always kinda purchaed CD's and DVD out of bordem. If there was't anything in my collection that I want to watch or lisen to ill go and buy somthing else. I have noticed that im buying DVD at a higher rate, 2-4 a month. Probiably because I recently started getting into DVD and there is a long list of titles I want. Unlike cd's where I have just about everything I want. Im sure that back when I got a job in high shcool I was purchaseing CD's like mad to. I also believe that I can personally relate to movies more than I can with music. All I can say is God Save the DVD, the idustry better not f&*k up HD-DVD, and OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR! OAR!

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I have never been really big into buying CDs. While I used to buy them occasionally, I don't ever buy them now. I have everything I like and worth listening to. I'm not against new bands its just everything sounds so rehashed and tired so, like Alex said, I'd just rather go get the source.

In any case, I buy way more DVDs now than I have ever bought CDs. My collection, while still small compared to some, is rapidly expanding as well.

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    No Way! I only buy the very few dvd's that I feel are essential. My dvd spending is what has slowed down. When it comes to cd's, I just can't stop. True addiction, I mean I need everything.