What's new

Has "Dodgeball" been edited? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I think bringing censorship into this is complete BS. The director/studio could have kept the two words in, gotten an R and made possibly less money. They made the decision to make the cuts and release the film with PG-13 for wider appeal.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. The film is hilarious with or without two more naughty words.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Classic. Now we've got cross-forum penetration. Goooood...gooood (evil laugh)... :)

BTW, on the specific jokes, I do agree that cock flavored lollipop is much funnier. On the other hand, I prefer the "hump" version of the doorknow joke ;)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't remember the lines from the theater, I'll assume what I saw there is what I'm getting on the DVD (when I get it). Like Matt said, censorship doesn't come into it if it's what was presented in the theaters. But I think we can all agree that the MPAA is a bunch of ass wookies. In a related story, Brent now owes me a new keyboard for coming up with that phrase.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Two 'e's in "Ass Wookiees," Jesse. :) But you can take that comment to the bank!

I agree that "cock" and "hump" are the funnier versions of the two. "Poopie" just doesn't work there.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Jesse,

I wish I could take credit for coming up with the term "ass wookiee", but it was actually coined by someone else over in the Star Wars movie thread. It has now become my favorite new phrase, however, and I hope to see it used much more frequently on this forum. :D

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Brent: Consider my sig to be the beginning of a crusade for the use of "ass wookiee" on HTF.

ETA: Updated with the proper credit.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

You tell him Aaron!:D

Man, I love that I'm getting credit just for correcting the spelling. HTF Rules!

What studio put out "Dodgeball?" Just wondering if an unrated cut will come out. I'll definitely have to give the movie a rental some time. I get a little bitter every time I watch a Ben Stiller movie though due to the fact my copy of Zoolander mysteriously disappeared a while back.:frowning:

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
In the theater in the Uk the fat cheerleader whispers "Im wearing no panties" to the bloke she lands on, just before she jumps up.

I think that was not in the US version.

I will wait for the R2 dvd in January.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Too bad they didn't put the 3 way kiss between Vince and the 2 girls at the end on the disc, perhaps that will make it into the unrated dvd if it's ever announced.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
you know I thought this movie would be much funnier. I watched it last night and was mildly dissapointed...not that Vince Vaughn and Stiller aren't usually really funny.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

This scene is in the deleted scenes, though, isn't it (it is in the UK version).

There's another studio-imposed cut in the US version: the bit where Justin kisses Amber. This is in the International version of the film (and in the deleted scenes section).

I am sure the version I saw in theatres said 'cock flavored lollipop'. I wonder what version us Canadians got on DVD. I will have to track someone down who owns it, since I have on plans on it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Eh, if they wanted to keep it and went "R" they could have.. but they didn't, their choice. That having been said, I think the line is much funnier with "hump a doorknob" then "fuck a doornob" It just seems to be more in the throw-back tone of the character made me laugh :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not entirely accurate. The producers/studio want it at PG-13 to make more money. They obviously have more power than an unknown director. In fact, listening to the commentary he's [the director] already commented on how the producers fought with him on some jokes early in the commentary. Right around 40:00 you hear them say that "all the jokes we were forced to cut out can be found on the international version". Hopefully we will see an unrated version in the future.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It would have been nice if they sold an "unrated" version of Dodgeball simultaneously with the theatrical PG-13 version, like other comedies on DVD.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
This may sound strange, but if I stretch the picture vertically on my Zenith DVB-318 so that it fills the screen, whenever Ben Stiller would snap his fingers in the movie, the black bars would re-appear at the top and bottom. It does it three or four times during the movie. Almost like it jumps out of zoom mode exactly when his fingers would snap. Someone else try this so I'll know I'm not crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks