What's new

has disney learned it's lesson? (son of flubber) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Disney is releasing Son of Flubber on April 6th. The question is have they learned their lesson from the Absent-Minded Professor? In other words, will this be in black & white and OAR, or colorized P&S?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't think Son of Flubber was ever colorized by the studio like Professor was. As for OAR, who can tell? It isn't one of their more popular titles. Most of their second tier catalog has been re-uses of old PnS transfers that they had lying around.

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
George,
First let me say I am a big fan of "Absent Minded Professor" and "Son of Flubber" (which I actually like better), so I am posting from a fan's point of view. I saw both these films when I was a kid, and the special effects - in those days -were really special.

There was, sadly, no lesson learned. The colorized, PS version of AMP released was a shoddy DVD production because the studio expected shoddy results form the title anyway. Thus a self fullfilling prophesy. Note also promotion was minimal to none.

What Disney should do is a special "Vista Series" set with both titles and lots of extras. I have faith in them, and hope that this will happen in the near future.

Rick

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

Disney already redid Absent Minded Professor in black & white and OAR, so that's why I was hoping they'd learned and would do Son of Flubber right the first time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The B&W Absent Minded Professor release sports a very nice newly created anamorphic widescreen transfer. If you like the film, do not hesitate to pick it up. Let's hope for the best with Son of Flubber, a decent sequel that reunited pretty much the entire cast from the first film.

Regards,

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
You really have to applaud Disney for such a quick turn around of Absent Minded Professor. They made a mistake and remedied it. I really think that Son of Flubber will be done the right way.

Terry H

Second Unit
Exactly what is the OAR of this title? IMdB reveals no information. I really don't have a reliable source of film specs.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Remember that a lot of the Disney movies for the 1960s were framed both for television and theatrical runs - Walt was up for double dipping in both markets. I'm not saying its correct to give us films that aren't in the original theatrical ratio, but it's very hard to tell what is original aspect ratio with these films because Disney was composing for both markets.

Anyone with the Leonard Maltin Disney book might be able to help with OAR - I can't find it anywhere on store shelves.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

I do not think Disney should be applauded for anything but there Animated releases. Last month they release a bunch of garbage trasfers including Follow Me Boys. I refuse to buy this crap. What about this business with Ransom not being Anamorphic. They pushed back the Treasures Release and made Ernest cry. They screwed up Ed Wood (even tho i got a copy lol). What a mess.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Why does Disney either make an awesome DVD that everyone likes, with tons of features and a good transfer, or the complete opposite of that with no extras and non-OAR transfers? I don't get it, there's no in-between.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Both of these titles were originally released as 1.75:1 hard matted prints.

Ted

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Isn't it ironic that we have studios today cropping old 1.33:1 material like "Kung Fu" to fit new widescreen TVs at the same time that others continue to give us P&S versions of hard-matted widescreen OAR movies? Sometimes you just can't win.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"They pushed back the Treasures Release and made Ernest cry."

They pushed back the Treasures release and made Ernest MAD.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
"The transfer for "Follow Me Boys" was so terrible that I returned it to Tower records. Not only PS , but the transfer looked as bad a a VHS tape. I won't buy any more Disney if this keeps up.
I hope they don't mess up "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" and "Three Lives of Thomasina" whic are coming soon.
BTW where is "In Search of the Castaways"?

Bon

Auditioning
For a few years now, I've anticipated this becoming a problem- casual viewers finally realising the benefits of widescreen, only to turn around and suspect that all non-widescreen titles are missing picture information. Or worse, start favouring widescreen simply because they have invested in widescreen TV's, and not because they care about preserving the original picture- thus prompting them to start demanding that 1.33:1 titles be cropped down to get rid of "those pesky black sidebars."

-Bon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.