What's new

Has Dennis Miller lost his mind? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
You do have to love Miller's Politically Incorrect quip about George Bush surrounding himself with intelligent people the way a hole surrounds itself with a doughnut.

On the whole, however, I no longer find him entertaining, and Monday Night Football was a disaster (whereas the NFL coverage by CBS is akin to nuclear winter).

Owen S

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis Miller is a wordsmith and if you don't like him it's probably because you're not quite getting it all.Don't worry you're not alone.

Ike

Screenwriter
George Carlin is not funny sometimes, and Lenny Bruce was offensive at times...but like these guys, I think Dennis Miller is a great "comedian".
Miller has never, and especially now, been on the level of Carlin or Bruce. Carlin may miss the mark occasionally, but he's aiming a lot higher.

I think he was funny a few years ago also, but now has lost it. Case in point, the shtick he did on Leno, he took it to Hardball, and aside from changing a few inflections, kept it completely the same, and it played straight. Sad part is, it was just as funny in front of Matthews as it was Leno. (Why do we need to tell Hollywood? They can't keep a secret. I even know Craig Kilborn's deal. *chuckle*)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Miller has never, and especially now, been on the level of Carlin or Bruce
And that's exactly what I said in the next paragraph of my post. ;)

Why you guys feel the need to pick on Dennis is beyond me. Why Dennis but not Leno for example? Unfortunately, I think the Dennis Miller show was the ultimate format for Dennis, as I found the show frequently interesting, informative, and funny but...in other settings Dennis is just going to annoy and confuse people much like the Monday Night Football...experiment.

To sum up: Leno - not funny. :)

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE what Dennis Miller has to say lately and finally agree with someone in Hollywood for a change. I'm NOT a liberal and I certainly don't follow the current thought trend of the so called Democrate party. It all depends upon which side of the fence you are on, but all I can say is he is now one of my favorite persons that doesn't follow the Hollywood ignorant morons spouting their anti-war, anti-American statements. They need to improve their IQ before they can address such national matters. Otherwise, they just come off looking like real liberal jerks.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I've always loved Dennis' style of humor. Like Dan said, I think that "Dennis Miller Live" was the best possible vehicle for him. He got to do his rant, make some topical humor in the monologue, interview a guest and do the news... (with the possible exception of the interviews, pretty much all high notes for Dennis).

Having seen his recent appearances on the Tonight Show, I still think he's funny....in many cases I think he's just one of those guys that you either think is hilarious, or you just don't get at all. I've always found him hilarious...... but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong... :)

Bryan

Kevin*R

Agent
I saw the show and thought Miller was his usual hillarious self. He has a strong political theme in his comedy. He touches everything including Germany, France, and even school vouchers. He's obviously a republican and maybe that's why many dislike him.

Jodee

Screenwriter
He's obviously a republican
As someone who has been a fan of Miller's for at least 15 years, I would argue that he's never been "obviously" partisan one way or the other. In fact, if anything I would have characterized the old Miller as somewhat of a libertarian. He always seemd to just take a common-sense "mind your own business and leave me alone" approach to political issues.

Which is what makes his new ideology seem so bizarre to me now.

Now he just seems very jingoistic and unconcerned with individual freedoms.

Gary King

Second Unit
He's obviously a republican and maybe that's why many dislike him
Nope. The party he's most aligned with is the Libertarian party (fiscally conservative, jingoistic, socially liberal, and opposed to strong central government), and their views tend to rattle quite a few feathers, because they range from the radical (legalizing all narcotics) to the reactionary (privatizing social security, welfare, and education).

Most Libertarians who accept aircraft searches (many don't) would agree that racial profiling as a heuristic in them is the right thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks