What's new

Has Dell dropped the "Dude" from its ads? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just saw a Dell Computer ad on MSNBC, and the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" guy was not in it. This ad had two interns observing the behavior of Dell customer service agents. The ad did close with the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" slogan. In any event, has Dell moved on to new "actors"? I hope so, as I quickly grew tired of the dopey kid.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter, thanks. Bummer. I was really hoping he was gone. I wouldn't mind if Dell dropped the "Dude" slogan too.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Probably not gonna happen. Advertising is all about recall. If you know that "kid" represents Dell, then he's doing his job and the "Dude, your gettin' a Dell!" slogan is kinda catchy...sticks in peoples heads. I doubt they change until public opinion polls tell them people are getting sick of the guy...which has obviously happened in your case Keith, but probably hasn't filtered over to the consensus of the general public.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Yeah they actually did a good job driving that into people's heads. I just selected Dell as our new PC vendor here at work and everyone in the IT Dept and elsewhere are running around saying "Dude you're getting a Dell" and the normal reply is "No dude you're getting a Dell". This seems to go on in an endless loop.
Sigh kill me now :)
Laters,
Jeff

KyleS

Screenwriter
I know exactly what you mean Jeff that is exactly what happened when we deployed new Dell workstations to all our users here. Imagine hearing that around a thousand times from all the users I have to deal with. I think around 500 or so I was about ready to choke someone. ;)
KyleS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I agree with you. I have a Dell desktop computer and a laptop at home, but I bought them before they started the "Dude" ad campaign. If I were in the market for a computer now, I would buy a Dell, but it would be based on good experiences with their products coupled with Dell's excellent reputation, not because of their inane ads. Then again, I am not one to get sucked in by ads. I buy what I like after evaluating the pros and cons and performance of competing products. The fact is that many people buy based on name recognition and catchy jingles.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I saw that new add the other night and really liked it. I thought it was funny the lady was actually slamming on the interns. Now who really believes their call-centers look that nice?

Jeff, tell the next person who says that that they'll be getting a Commodore if they don't shut up.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Keith Mickunas asked:
Jeff, tell the next person who says that that they'll be getting a Commodore if they don't shut up.
:laugh: Don't forget the 13" black-and-white TV to go with it! :D
All,
I forgot to mention that my company has a contract with Dell, and we got new computers in all the offices a couple of months ago. I hope the person who handles such contracts for our company didn't simply choose Dell based on the Dude ads. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
the "dude" ads haven't gotten on my nerves yet, and i think it'll take a lot more for it to push me off the edge. regardless of whether or not people are buying dell stuff because of the commercials, i think they're getting it from (one of) the best mainstream computer distributors in the u.s. "dude" or no "dude", i'll be gettin' dells until they go for the worse in quality of parts and/or service, but given their track record from the beginning, i don't think that's going to happen for quite a while.

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
hey, at least when I call dell about a bad laptop they dont answer with " DUDE! Your dell got problems?"
or the hold music is really just Steven spouting off words of wisdom. You know his eyebrows really bother me too, ever just watch them twitch all over the place when he's spouting off? creepy. :crazy:

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I always thought their "easy as Dell" slogan was pretty bold. Obviously a play on words to easy as hell, which might be offensive to some of thier more puritan customer base (do computer companies have a puritan customer base?). Anyway, I dont "like" the dude guy, but I have to respect him since he's probably about 2-3 years younger than me but worth about 558 times more than me. Why cant I strike it rich?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Dude!!! I got a new Dell at work, one of those black ones and the first thing I did dude, was remove the Dell button on the front cover and replace it with a Chiquita banana sticker. Then I proceeded to sticker the Dell on the mouse and on the monitor with Dole banana stickers.. DUDE, you're getting a chiquita!

Jay DUDE!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The Dell Dude is simply annoying right now, not quite to the deathly painful level of the cute-little-dimpled Pepsi girl.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
wasn't there an article posted a few months back claiming the dude campaign was a massive success?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks