What's new

Has Darby O'Gill been pulled? (1 Viewer)

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
My friend told me that he couldn't purchase a copy of Walt Disney's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". The person at Best Buy said that "Darby had been pulled". I'm assuming that the salesperson was incorrect and the store was just out of stock on that particular DVD. Has anybody heard if Darby has be discontinued? I hope not as I'm still planning to buy it.
Bill

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Darby O'Gill was just released last month on August 3. I'm sure it wouldn't be discontinued that fast, without a major reason.;)

Now about "Best Buy" and what I had to go through to purchase my copy of the DVD.

It seems that some of Best Buy's sales people aren't the most resourceful of types. When I went into my local Best Buy on the morning of August 3rd to buy my copy, the salesperson told me that their computer didn't have Darby O'Gill listed, so the store wouldn't have received any copies.

Going home, I looked on the internet and searched the national "Best Buy" site. There it was, "Darby O'Gill and the Little People", and when I checked for the nearest location, it was "in stock" at my local store!:angry: Right then and there on the internet, I placed an order for a copy, checked the box that I would pick it up at my local store I was just at, and promptly gave my credit card #. Two hours later I received an e-mail confirmation and a notification that the DVD was charged to my card and it was ready to be picked up. Printing a copy of the confirmation invoice, I drove back to the store. After going to the desk with my papers, I was told by a nice lady that the disc was in, but that they couldn't give it to me.:confused: She said Darby wasn't released until August 10. Being a little perturbed at that statement, I asked to talk to the manager. When he came up to me, I told him that the Darby O'Gill DVD was not only released that day, but that date was verified at several other online sites and that their own Best Buy website had the August 3rd date, charged my card and notified me to pick it up.:rolleyes

This "Best Buy" manager did not have a cheerful attitude and didn't seem to like being told their store made an error, but he did check some website (probably their own:p)) and told the saleslady to give me the disc.:)

Paul

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My Wal-Mart just got them in stock for the first time, along with about 10 other Disney DVDs from the classic line. They got about 8 copies of each release.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why it would be discontinued. Disney made the movie and has never sold it, so they definitely have the rights. If there were major technical problems, we'd know by now and this movie isn't popular enough for a vault strategy.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
My local Best Buy had it on the shelf in the "Action" section.

I looked for it for in the Disney AND the Family sections.

...two weeks of looking and I happen upon another customer walking around with the DVD. I commented that he must have gotten the last one and he told me that there were many more, in the action are.

The Best Buy "intellect" must have seen the name Sean Connery and said "Stock that in 'Action'"!

Brilliant! ;)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'd like it if the Disney films were filed according to genre...Third Man on the Mountain belongs in the action section, Darby o'Gill belongs in the fantsy section, Three Lives of thomasina belongs in the drama section....not the kiddo section.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
A year or two back, I wanted to buy The Harvey Girls for my wife for Christmas. I had the hardest time finding it at Best Buy, where it'd been filed in the Action section.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
What in the world is a Harvey Girl?

At any rate, Third Man on the Mountain is a weak DVD, even compared to Treasure Island, but its a great movie. Watched it twice this weekend, can't wait to watch it again.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I just bought this dvd yesterday. This is the same transfer that is on the laserdisc, which I thought was pretty good. The so called 5.1 sound is dissapointing, since its not a remix from stereo music tracks, but just spread out mono - what is the point?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Joe, you might want to check your disc again, but I'm pretty sure that the soundtrack is 2.0 mono. The transfer looks like a step-up from the laserdisc to me, with no artifacts suggesting it came from a composite video source. Improvement is noticeable, but not a night and day difference, because, as you said, the laserdisc was pretty good.

Regards,

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There is both a 5.1 track and a mono track on here.
The back of the cover also says it is in 5.1. My amp lights up with the 5.1 signal. All three are clues.
A friend who works for Disney vid confirms that this is the laserdisc transfer. Disney did not want to spend any money on a relatively unknown title.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

Hi Joe,

Did he say the same about Third Man on the Mountain?

-Reagan

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
OOOOPS. Sorry, Foks. No sleep last night and too much coffee this morning. NOT talking about Darby OGill but Third Man on the Mountain. Third Man is 5.1 (mono spread out badly) and is the same transfer as the laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks