Has Darby O'Gill been pulled?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Parisho, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Stunt Coordinator

My friend told me that he couldn't purchase a copy of Walt Disney's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". The person at Best Buy said that "Darby had been pulled". I'm assuming that the salesperson was incorrect and the store was just out of stock on that particular DVD. Has anybody heard if Darby has be discontinued? I hope not as I'm still planning to buy it.
    Bill

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

My local Best Buy had it in stock last night...only one copy, but it was there.

3. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Darby O'Gill was just released last month on August 3. I'm sure it wouldn't be discontinued that fast, without a major reason.[​IMG]

Now about "Best Buy" and what I had to go through to purchase my copy of the DVD.

It seems that some of Best Buy's sales people aren't the most resourceful of types. When I went into my local Best Buy on the morning of August 3rd to buy my copy, the salesperson told me that their computer didn't have Darby O'Gill listed, so the store wouldn't have received any copies.

Going home, I looked on the internet and searched the national "Best Buy" site. There it was, "Darby O'Gill and the Little People", and when I checked for the nearest location, it was "in stock" at my local store![​IMG] Right then and there on the internet, I placed an order for a copy, checked the box that I would pick it up at my local store I was just at, and promptly gave my credit card #. Two hours later I received an e-mail confirmation and a notification that the DVD was charged to my card and it was ready to be picked up. Printing a copy of the confirmation invoice, I drove back to the store. After going to the desk with my papers, I was told by a nice lady that the disc was in, but that they couldn't give it to me.[​IMG] She said Darby wasn't released until August 10. Being a little perturbed at that statement, I asked to talk to the manager. When he came up to me, I told him that the Darby O'Gill DVD was not only released that day, but that date was verified at several other online sites and that their own Best Buy website had the August 3rd date, charged my card and notified me to pick it up.[​IMG]

This "Best Buy" manager did not have a cheerful attitude and didn't seem to like being told their store made an error, but he did check some website (probably their own:p)) and told the saleslady to give me the disc.[​IMG]

Paul

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    My Wal-Mart just got them in stock for the first time, along with about 10 other Disney DVDs from the classic line. They got about 8 copies of each release.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I don't see why it would be discontinued. Disney made the movie and has never sold it, so they definitely have the rights. If there were major technical problems, we'd know by now and this movie isn't popular enough for a vault strategy.

7. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Since when do Best Buy employees know anything??

8. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Bingo. Really no need to fret about these things, when they're so easily checkable.

9. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    My local Best Buy had it on the shelf in the "Action" section.

I looked for it for in the Disney AND the Family sections.

...two weeks of looking and I happen upon another customer walking around with the DVD. I commented that he must have gotten the last one and he told me that there were many more, in the action are.

The Best Buy "intellect" must have seen the name Sean Connery and said "Stock that in 'Action'"!

Brilliant! [​IMG]

10. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Actually, I'd like it if the Disney films were filed according to genre...Third Man on the Mountain belongs in the action section, Darby o'Gill belongs in the fantsy section, Three Lives of thomasina belongs in the drama section....not the kiddo section.

11. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

That doesn't surprise me, after seeing that Best Buy's website has Star Wars listed as a horror movie.

12. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

A year or two back, I wanted to buy The Harvey Girls for my wife for Christmas. I had the hardest time finding it at Best Buy, where it'd been filed in the Action section.

13. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

What in the world is a Harvey Girl?

At any rate, Third Man on the Mountain is a weak DVD, even compared to Treasure Island, but its a great movie. Watched it twice this weekend, can't wait to watch it again.

14. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I just bought this dvd yesterday. This is the same transfer that is on the laserdisc, which I thought was pretty good. The so called 5.1 sound is dissapointing, since its not a remix from stereo music tracks, but just spread out mono - what is the point?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Joe, you might want to check your disc again, but I'm pretty sure that the soundtrack is 2.0 mono. The transfer looks like a step-up from the laserdisc to me, with no artifacts suggesting it came from a composite video source. Improvement is noticeable, but not a night and day difference, because, as you said, the laserdisc was pretty good.

Regards,

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

There is both a 5.1 track and a mono track on here.
    The back of the cover also says it is in 5.1. My amp lights up with the 5.1 signal. All three are clues.
    A friend who works for Disney vid confirms that this is the laserdisc transfer. Disney did not want to spend any money on a relatively unknown title.

17. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan

Hi Joe,

Did he say the same about Third Man on the Mountain?

-Reagan

18. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

OOOOPS. Sorry, Foks. No sleep last night and too much coffee this morning. NOT talking about Darby OGill but Third Man on the Mountain. Third Man is 5.1 (mono spread out badly) and is the same transfer as the laserdisc.