What's new

Has Blu-ray.com forum been hacked? (1 Viewer)

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I didn't see a section on the forums here that fit more properly than Blu-Ray.

I haven't posted here in ages, I usually post at blu-ray.com

The site there went down for about an hour just now, and when it came back about ten minutes ago, I got a message saying:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I cannot fathom what might have gotten me banned. I have always used my full real name as my username here and there, I never say anything controversial or nasty, I just discuss technical details and such.

I suspect me being banned may have something to do with the outage.

Is anyone else a member at blu-ray.com forum?

Have we all been banned by some hacker?

If I was legitimately banned, what do I do? Do I just set up a new account? If so I'll lose all my history.

Can I appeal this banning to anyone? It's so mysterious and random.

I apologize, again, for posting this here, but I didn't know what else to do, I've been a loyal member of that forum and this one for many years. I value the community here and there a great deal and this was shocking to see.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Wondering the same thing myself. Got the same message you have after the site being down for hours. I'm a top contributor there in the top 500s and have never got suspended or ever in any trouble there. I can't view the forums at all and there's no way I can contact anyone there to figure out what is going on. Apologize this is off-topic here too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I can't even view the forums when I'm view the forum with another web browser in which I never even signed into Blu-ray.com with. I for example tried to view it with via Firefox on iOS which I never have used to sign into the site and I'm getting the same message "You have been banned for the following reason, reason for ban no reason, date of ban will be lifted: Never. I've been a member there for over 4 years with no issues ever.

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
I'm relieved it's all of us, that means they should be able to fix it.

I know the forum usually goes down for about half an hour at 3am Pacific each night, but this was scary.

I didn't realize how much the forum there meant to me until I saw I was "banned" from it. It was legitimately scary and hurtful to think I might not get to communicate with all the great people there. :)

David Norman

Premium
I guess I'm glad somebody else got that message. I was on the site and abotu 2am ET suddenly I got the same message. I don't think I ever have been in a serious disagreement, argument, flame war, profane tirade, etc. The worst think I've ever done intentionally is sarcasticly answer some posts (usually asked/answered 100 times)

I tried my best to think of some reason I could even remotely have been suspended or banned and came up empty. The mods there have
suspended me once a few months ago because they utterly and totally misread a post I made. They NEVER tell you why ahead of time that you are approaching a line nor explain afterwards why they made the decision even if you ask them why nor most importantly apologize for screwing up, so I figured one of them had finally decided to can me for good.

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
Lol, I just came over here to ask the same thing! Don’t know if they’ve been hacked or are just down, but I get the same error.

The website itself isn't down anymore though, it's up, and I can see everything but the forums, which I'm denied access to.

I can even see links to the forum pages when I click on each Blu-ray's product page.

I just can't access the forums.

Very strange.

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
I guess I'm glad somebody else got that message. I was on the site and abotu 2am ET suddenly I got the same message. I don't think I ever have been in a serious disagreement, argument, flame war, profane tirade, etc. The worst think I've ever done intentionally is sarcasticly answer some posts (usually asked/answered 100 times)

I tried my best to think of some reason I could even remotely have been suspended or banned and came up empty. The mods there have
suspended me once a few months ago because they utterly and totally misread a post I made. They NEVER tell you why ahead of time that you are approaching a line nor explain afterwards why they made the decision even if you ask them why nor most importantly apologize for screwing up, so I figured one of them had finally decided to can me for good.

That's what I was afraid of, I have heard of people being summarily banned there before. But I couldn't think of what on earth could have gotten me banned.

I have politely argued with people about technical defects and such, but I have never said anything personal or nasty or filthy or anything.

This must be just a problem with the board itself.

David Norman

Premium
I thought maybe I'd been hacked since my router decided a few minutes later to go haywire and I had to reboot everything even to get back to here. I suspect it's going to be a long night over there.

I know they can ban by IP, but when I was suspended before I could still read the forums as long as I was signed out. Now I can't do that, I tried a different compute, a VPN browser, and my phone on Mobile Data -- still teh same message which started making me wonder if it was the site and not me. No forum is that good at blocking someone.

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
I thought maybe I'd been hacked since my router decided a few minutes later to go haywire and I had to reboot everything even to get back to here. I suspect it's going to be a long night over there.

I know they can ban by IP, but when I was suspended before I could still read the forums as long as I was signed out. Now I can't do that, I tried a different compute, a VPN browser, and my phone on Mobile Data -- still teh same message which started making me wonder if it was the site and not me. No forum is that good at blocking someone.

I'm not nearly tech savvy enough to try any of that, haha. I'm lucky if I can remember my password, haha.

But that definitely makes it sound like the website is just having problems.

I hope they're fixable, I know less than nothing about computers.

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Luckard
I'm so grateful this community still exists too, so we can have this discussion.

I joined here in 2003, but for the last few years I've posted more at the other forum, which I think I joined around 2009, though I read postings on both.

David Norman

Premium
I'm so grateful this community still exists too, so we can have this discussion.

I joined here in 2003, but for the last few years I've posted more at the other forum, which I think I joined around 2009, though I read postings on both.

Very different places. Informational stuff -- HTF wins pretty easily. AVSForums had an excellent board for awhile, but too much drama and the Hardware stuff dried up so I dropped them over a decade back. HTF is like Oreo Ice Cream or Girl Scout Cookies -- soothing and a respite from the lunatics of the world.

The bluray.com database and deals section is awfully hard to beat. Just by sheer numbers there is some advantage there, but HTF has a vast S/N information ratio advantage. I've been here officially since 2001 and probably 1st registered 1998 or 1999 though my first Used Name/Profile seems to have bitten the dust and is lost for eternity. I followed several posters (esp RAF) here from the original Compuserve HT forum which at one time in the early-mid 90's was easily the best HT discussion board sprinkled with a few of the USENET forums (Laserdisc forums especially).

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I'm super glad both sites exist, even though I don't post much around these parts as I'm more of a lurker but do follow the going ons around here even if I'm not super active, though the discourse as a whole is usually better here. The Blu-ray.com database is very hard to beat however at times the forums over there can get very crazy at times especially in the Kino Lorber Studio Classics thread as IDK how the Kino Insider does it without going crazy. Though, there are many informative users over there too among the mayhem and I'm grateful for both sites.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Yep- I got the same ban message and it was going to ruin my entire evening. I’m glad I found this thread instead.

Indeed. If I hadn't registered here, I would've never known what happened and would've spent the rest of the night going crazy trying to figure out why I was banned when I have never been in trouble there. Even though I don't post a lot over here I do subscribe to a couple forums and topics over here and the BluRay-UHD board is one of them. TBH, I really didn't know where to go to find out what was going on so big thanks to the OP since right now I'm on a social media break as its gotten too crazy and I likely wouldn't know what was going on. Though I can see that some users on Isitdownrightnow were having the same issues but I didn't see that until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javalsu