What's new

Has becomming an HT-geek ruined your movie-watching experience? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The reason I ask is, last night I was watching Monster's Inc with my 3-yr old and found myself scrutinizing the picture quality and sound wondering how I can improve on things... I realized, I wasn't watching the film for the sake of the story... but using it as a benchmark for my picture/audio quality.

Am I exhibiting obsessive-compulsive behavior or do any other HTF'ers out there have the same problem?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have pretty lousy equipment, but I still do the same thing. "Hmm... the black-level seems off... I wonder if it's the TV or the DVD-player... I'll have to adjust that when she goes to the bathroom... and the surrounds aren't working very much... I wonder if it's the mix or if I happened to change the setup... gotta check that out also..." :)

A good movie is measured by how little attention I pay to those things. :)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
For me, it depends on whether I've seen the movie before or not. On new movies, I'll get into the story more. On other movies, I'm watching/listening for every little detail. Was that my sub bottoming out? Maybe I need to adjust the gain, or get another sub! :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched The Four Feather's last night. I noticed the picture was soft at times and the black level was a little washed out. But, it did not distract from my movie watching enjoyment.

The audio is calibrated to 85db via AVIA and the RPTV has been ISF'd. Not much more can be done so I just sit back and enjoy.

Peace Out~:D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Becoming an ht geek has enhanced my movie watching experience. My taste in both movies and presentation has improved significantly since I started collecting DVDs. Even back when I was a projectionist (1996) I didn't know the difference in stereo vs Dolby, digital sound vs analogue, pan n scan vs oar, etc but now I'm an expert. Back in the day Fair Game was a good movie because they flashed Cindy's tit, Primal Fear was an intense drama and Heat was a decent action flick that was drawn out with too much dialog.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Took many Hours to make sure that my systems is the best it can sound and look based on the gear I have. The only thing I have to worry about is making sure that I don't disturb my neighbor. But that has spoiled me when I go to watch a movie over a friends house.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It used to when I first got my "big time" equipment (big time for me on my salary, puny I'm sure for some others out there). I fiddled and finagled until I finally got Michael Chen (of ISF, The Spot and HTF fame) to come out and calibrate my set.

It ain't perfect (no consumer priced sets are) but it's as good as it's gonna get. Now I just sit back, relax and enjoy (BTW I have the Panny 47" WS HDready set). Some day I'll be able to afford a super duper DLP front projector with a huge screen and really max out the HT experience. But for now I know I've done all I can with my modest equipment and just enjoy my movies on it!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes I get critical of the video quality on the TV. My new Mits seems grainy at times, this I believe is due to the red push. However I only really notice it when I'm showing off to someone else. The rest of the time I find I enjoy watching stuff at home far more than at the movies and am really pleased with what I've got.

In the coming months I'm planning an extensive speaker upgrade and ISF calibration. After that I should really be able to enjoy everything.

Todd K

Second Unit
Other HT geeks have ruined my movie-watching experience.
I think I've ruined it for other people. Always making a comment about something or other.

Usually when I point out differences in video presentations or sound equipment, I'm told I'm just imagining things.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

For those who may be unaware, Mike Chan is HTF's newest administrator (aka, Michael TLV).

Also, like Mark Sherman, I worry about disturbing the neighbors so much that it detracts from my own enjoyment of a film. If it's a film with much in the way of explosive sounds and such, I end up gain-riding so damn much. When one lives in a cozy urban setting in a large, large city, he or she can't just let the ol' HT rip. On the plus side, however, if your audio equipment is decent and you position yourself in the sweet spot, it's amazing how nice and full-bodied a film can sound at relatively low volume levels.

Still, though, I'd just love to forget about the neighbors for once and really, really kick back and listen to the system go through a workout.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I don't critique sound or picture quality when watching a movie, so I guess the answer to your question is no.

However, I refuse to watch a movie on any non 5.1 system and really struggle with "inferior" setups compared to my own, so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

I know I am an AV snob and can recognize a good system when I see one (as I'm sure most of us have out there), but I have a tough time watching a movie in mono...that's for sure.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My parents are always bugging me to bring a movie over to watch (when I go over for dinner). I refuse to bring over any DVD I haven't seen yet. I don't want my first experience to be on a little tv with no 5.1 setup. I always make sure to bring over a movie I've already seen on my setup first.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I think I've ruined it for other people. Always making a comment about something or other.
Yeah, that's me, too. Friends will come over and I'll be tweaking things, making sure everything is "just right", and generally annoying everybody else in the room.

Once the movie starts, though, I leave things alone and enjoy it unless something really goes out of whack.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'd just love to forget about the neighbors for once and really, really kick back and listen to the system go through a workout.
I currently live in a dorm and the sound insulation is wonderful. Some of my fellow dorm dwellers really let their systems rip and a little bit of sound leaks out of their room, but nothing very distracting. Yet, when I'm watching a movie and it starts to test my "system" (computer speakers - Altec Lansing 2 speaker and subwoofer set), I immediately turn it down. I don't want to get any complaints no matter what. I can't wait to buy a house in the middle of nowhere. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Luckily I can crank my system up and not really have to worry about disturbing anyone, but I feel for those who have neighbors. :frowning: Not being able to crank up a HT system is like buying a Porsche and only being able to drive it up and down your driveway :)

Actually, the whole HT system is the EXACT reason why I haven't really left home. I live in a "mother-in-law apartment", basically it's a tiny house built onto the back of my parents garage. It's fine for one person, but I'm getting a bit cramped in there and would love to move into a bigger place. I can't afford a big house, yet I don't want to buy a condo or move into an apartment because I don't want to have to limit my HT sound. :frowning: So while the HT thing hasn't toatlly ruined my movie-watching experience, it is controling my living arangements.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As much as I am a videophile and an audiophile as well, I never let it take away from my movie enjoyment.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it's ruined my enjoyment when i go to other peoples homes.

my girlfriend's brother has a pretty decent setup. big-ass tv, denon gear and klipsch speakers. but it is all totally out of whack! the sound isn't balanced and the picture is horrible - i'd bet someone's paycheck that he hasn't even done the convergence. i find i analyze everyone's setup, no matter where i go.

it drives me crazy....but i've made it a rule to not critique a setup unless i'm asked.

i'm actually more critical when i go to the movies. i can tell right away whether or not the sound system is up to snuff and if if it's not, i get all irked. mainly because i feel like i paid good money, but now i'm stuck.

on a slightly side note, does anyone critique the movie itself? i often catch myself trying to see how good the effects are, how the cinematopgraphy is shot, etc.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
it hasn't changed me because everytime i watch a movie i make sure everything is set before i start it....then i have my brother nagging me about all this stuff because he thinks i'm all "mister hometheater"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks