Has anything ever been released on DVD from the Alan Parsons Project?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Pine, Mar 21, 2002.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I didn't think so, but I wanted a "music regular" to confirm.

NP: SRV "Live at The El Mocambo"

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Parson's attempt to make another "Dark Side Of The Moon" er, I mean "I, Robot" was released as a 96/24 DAD by Classic Recordings, it is stunning.

NP Third World: Reggae Ambassadors box set

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Philip: Thanks for the feedback! I wish my X-Box would play that format, but I don't think it will.

4. luke j. chung

If your X-Box plays regular DVD-Videos, then it will play back in full resolution. It uses the DVD-Video standard and is encoded with a 96k/24-bit digital stereo datastream for audio![​IMG]

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Luke: Thanks for the reply! That's good news, I stand corrected!

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can pick one up? I went to the "Classic Recordings" site but it says he has sold out to another company. Can somebody throw me a link?

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I bought it at forum sponsor Laser's Edge. I'm not sure you can enjoy it 100% to it's full extent though.
    96/24 PCM is part of the DVD-Video spec, so you can definitely play it. No doubt about it. However, there are some limitations to the 96/24 bitstream. The original DVD-Video spec did not allow for this resolution to be transmitted through the digital outs of a player. Some companies, notably Pioneer, simply ignored this part of the spec and sent the full bandwidth signal regardless. Most players do not allow for this type of transmission, and will only send a 48/16 signal with the extra bits and resolution simply thrown away.
    *** It is important to note here that due to the very careful mastering of the 96/24 DVD-Video titles, the truncated 48/16 version when decoded through an ordinary DAC can sound very damn good, possibly better than the redbook CD of the same material. This is how I used to listen to my DADs when I had a ProScan DVD player. You don't get the benefit of the extra resolution, but you do get the benefit of the extra care taken during the mastering process, much like with "audiophile" CDs.
    If the DVD player has a 96/24 DAC built in (a highly touted feature in 1999/2000), you can use the analog output to enjoy sonic excellence from these discs. This is how I've enjoyed these discs for years. However, it is important to note that your receiver must have an analog bypass mode. If the receiver digitizes the input analog stereo signal for bass management, tone controls, etc.(many do) then once again you won't get the benefits of the added resolution the discs have to offer. It is possible that your X-Box can't play this extremely high resolution track extremely well, as I would suspect based on the target audience that the DACs in it are not audiophile grade. I know that on my old ProScan 8680Z the analog output from these amazing discs didn't sound as good as the comparable redbook CDs. I suspect that the 8680Z had a lousy DAC that played the 48K truncated version of these fabulous discs.
    So you see, it is a very complicated affair. [​IMG] Though it is part of the DVD-Video spec, this seldom used format is much closer to DVD-Audio in actual implementation.
    But I assure you that the results, if you have a well calibrated system that is capable of taking advantage of the format, are absolutely breathtaking. I've got four of these discs and they are extremely impressive.
    NP: Third World "All The Way Strong"

7. John Pine

John Pine
    Philip: WOW! Thanks for the explaination, I had no idea it was so damn complicated! I'm using the X-Box(AV advanced pack)TOSlink connection from my X-Box to my new Yamaha RX-V530 for audio. I don't believe this receiver has the "analog bypass mode" you mentioned. I guess I'll have to pass on this one.

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

John,

All is not lost. If your receiver and DVD player do DTS there is a fabulous multichannel DTS CD of the album "On Air". Long before DVD-Audio, even before DVD, DTS released multichannel music using the DTS audio format on CDs. This should be avialable at many online music stores like amazon.com. I've heard one track of this album on a sample I have and it's really cool! You're surrounded by music!

10. John Pine

John Pine
    Craig: Thanks for the link, good info!

Philip: I'll check Amazon, thanks!

11. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I'm also reading some good news (with regard to DVD-Audio releases from Alan Parsons) into the fact that he is now part of 5.1 Entertainment. I'm guessing that we won't be seeing his catalog with the Project released due to the rights belonging to Arista, but perhaps some of his recent recordings and/or future ones will make it to DVD-A.

And as a weird aside, Alan Parsons can be seen playing guitar for some songs on the Michael McDonald A Gathering of Friends concert DVD (which also has Kim Carnes as a backup singer). It's a small world.

12. Harold Leroy

Harold Leroy Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

I second your comment about "On Air"---it's outstanding!!!