Has anyone used these subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Cunninghm, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Wow! They really look WAF approvable! They sure limit placement options though.

Pete

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Is the dog optional?[​IMG]

4. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

There are pretty nice from the looks of them. But I bet you build something like that for WAY cheaper!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Very true Jay:
    Darren recently completed this sub (equivalent to an SVS Ultra in output) for I'm guessing somewhere between $500 and $600. He did a beautiful job:
    [​IMG]

6. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

WOW! That is sweet. It really competes with the ultra? Does he have site with how he went about building it? Parts list and so on?

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's just an Adire Alignment Tempest with the AVA250 plate amp and a pair of Adires flared 3" port kits that he did an awesome job dressing up with a nice wood finish.
    This is a link to the plans for the enclosure (its the 214L Adire Alignment):
    http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF
    And this is Adire's website:
    http://www.adireaudio.com
    And yes, 2.55L of Vd tuned to 18hz [​IMG] It can shake things.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The tempest based box will whup the innovation design I would guess...I'm skeptical of it matching an Ultra in low/clean output though. We run into fairly serious port compression with 3 flared 3" ports with the Ultra now(we have this documented on the SVS site with response checks done at 95,100,105,110dBs). Losing 33% of the port flow capabilities would make things much worse for us.(I must have tried 20 different port variations before we settled on the 3-3s). You still end up with a very potent subwoofer of course.

TV

9. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

as always Tom, every one of your posts i learn something from.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thats hilarious. I can just see it now.
    "Ummm, honey, why is the new coffee table way over there?"
    "I think it sounds better,... er, ummm, I mean, it looks nicer over there because its less cluttered, yeah, thats it!"
    Heheh. Those subwoofers do look nice though. Too bad I can't afford to have all of my speakers look like that [​IMG]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Ya, I keep forgetting about the 3rd 3" port on the Ultras. Should still be able to easily keep up with a Plus series SVS though. And if you extended one of the dimensions slightly and off set the driver hole to one side to allow a 6" PVC pipe port to fit that problem should go away.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Or just add another 3" port, or go with dual 4s...one 6, 4 PRs,one large slot,two medium slots,or even tune the dual 3s a little under the intended passband of the woof...

one thing is for sure with a tempest,a solid box, and a good 250w amp...if you build it the bass will come...

TV