Has anyone used insulation additive for paint?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John_Berger, Jan 18, 2004.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

When I was interviewing for a job with a NASA contractor a few months ago, I was reading an annual statement from NASA about commercial products that they helped to innovate or develop. One of them was this. It's an additive for paint that provides some insulation against heat/cold loss. (Here is the web-based version of the actual NASA article.)

Unfortunately, our house when it was built decades ago was not manufactured to be energy efficient. Currently, we don't have the funds (or desire) to rip down or walls to put in new insulation, nor is it feasible (partuicularly now that it's mid-January) to have our siding ripped off to have insulation put underneath.

One of our winter projects is to completely repaint and redesign our bedroom anyway. If this additive will help, we want to use it. Has anyone used it? To those who have used it: is there any noticeable energy efficiency that is provided by it? (And I expect no off-color jokes about insulation and the Columbia, thank you.)

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

This sounds like a great idea. I would also like to know more about this.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

WOuldn't help my house. Most heat transfer happens at the windows + doors. (lots of those)