1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used a DVD recorder here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Besse, Nov 5, 2001.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I was just interested because in the adds in the Paper this weekend. I believe Circiut City had the Panasonic DMR-E20 advertised for $999. I'm thinking about picking one up and converting a few of my Laserdiscs to DVD.
    Has anyone on the forum actually done this conversion. I'm interested to know how a DVD looks once it has been transfered from a Laserdisc.
    Well, if anyone's knowledgable on the subject... Please respond!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

2. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
  3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Looks like you might be the first. Let me know how good it works, I might want to back up my lds too. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I suspect it's a generation or two too early to be getting into these, but who knows.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

4. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Some experience on this would be interesting, although I lost interest in this particular model when I found out it doesn't have an IEEE1394 interface.

5. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Just a heads up to the original poster. You can buy the E20 at JandR on the web for 799.99.
    This is actually a third generation model. I think the time is right. I was going to buy one before I found out I was getting layed off. I also saw some DVD-Rs advertised for about three bucks each somewhere on the web but I can't remember now where it was.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

6. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

I've been planning to do the same thing, on the computer side of things, though. But I'm waiting for the price to go down a bit and - hopefully! - for the end of the format wars. I'd rather not invest a particular technology only to discover that it gets discontinued after a few months (Betamax, anyone?)
    Otherwise, it's an interesting move. Tell us if it works, and how pleased you are with the results!

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

There are a couple of threads about using this recorder over at www.avscience.com

8. Brad C

Brad C Auditioning

I bought the Panasonic DMR-E20 from e-cost for $709 last week. I did make a recording of a widescreen laserdisc on a Panny DVD-R disc using the 2-hour mode on the recorder. The picture quality compared to the original was somewhat good. I would not say that I was dissapointed with it, I guess I was expecting better. The disk did play back on my JVC 720BK DVD player without any problems. There is also a 1 hour recording mode that may yield better results. I will report back when I have had more time to experiment. TV shows that I have recorded look very good, even on my Mitsu 55" HDTV. If I put my DISH 6000 into SD mode while recording an HD program, I get a very nice 480I recording. Very clean for programs that I missed live.

9. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Brad C, have you had any opportunities to test this recorder out any more? I have a problem were the black level of the DVD-R made on the DMR-E20 is too light compared to the source. How many different players have you used your DVD-R's on without problems? I have n't looked at a XP speed recording. The SP speed recording I have has MPEG artifacts not in the original [​IMG] I find artifacts most easily in shadows. The flow of light to dark isn't smooth, but is broken up into "bands" [​IMG]
    thanks
    Jim

10. John Graves

John Graves Agent

OK, I'll bite. If you want to step above the Panasonic, there is the new Pioneer PRV-9000. I bought one from B&H and am very pleased despite the hefty price.
    Recordings from sources such as LV or DSS look gorgeous. They are not 'clone' copies, but very close to the original.
    One reason I went with the more expensive deck is the DV input, plus many video adjustment controls for both Input and Playback.
    So far I found both DVD-R and DVD-R/W's, work with Pioneer and Panasonic stand alone players.
    This deck, and the Panasonic, are really VCR's that record to DVD rather than video tape. You've got a built-in tuner, programming capability, VCR+, commercial skip, etc.
    Note: on this model, component outputs (plus composite 'in'), use BNC connectors.
    Good Viewing,
    John G [​IMG]