Has anyone upgraded their B&K Reference 10 or 20?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Golden, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

Based on a recommendation from my dealership and B&k, I'm going to upgrade my Reference 10 to a Reference 20+. I was told the only difference between the Reference 20+ and the Reference 30, is that the Reference 20+ will lack component video inputs/ outputs and THX equalization.

Has anyone already upgraded their Reference 10 or 20 unit?

Jim

2. Jim Golden

Is anyone even considering this upgrade?

Jim

3. William Kirkland

William Kirkland Auditioning

Jim, I also have a Reference 10 and was thinking about the upgrade. I wonder if B&K changes the front panel to read Reference 20, DTS, etc. I am a little dissapointed that the upgrade doesn't include THX... My last pre/pro (Marantz AV600) had THX and I really liked it for movies, my surrounds blended in with my front speakers much better. I can't decide if I should upgrade or wait for the Reference 30 to drop in price and sell my Reference 10.

I too would like to hear from someone who has had the upgrade... Is there anybody out there?

William

4. Jim Golden

William:

I knew there had to be other Reference owners out there! Even though the 20+ won't have the THX processing, it does come with equalization functions. The guy at B&K said adding THX and component inputs/ outputs would have added and extra 30% to the upgrade cost (which is already $898.00).

After talking to them (B&K and my audio dealer) it sounds like there have been quite alot of improvements since the Reference 10/ 20. The guy at B&K said the upgraded units come with software, which you can use on your PC and it will aid you in setting up the unit (has something to do with the rooms geometry?). B&K also told me the new motherboard will enable me to continue with future upgrades "in step" with the Reference 30.

I'm going to do it, I'll post the results when I do!

Jim

5. William Kirkland

Jim:

I really would appreciate it if you would let me know how things work out for you. I really don't care about the component video jacks because my tv doesn't have jacks either. As far as the THX goes I think the unit will still have all of the adjustments i.e. notch filters and the eq to be able to get you sound that is just as good as THX when you have it adjusted properly, do you agree?

William

6. Jim Golden

William:
    To my ears, yes I think the eq processing will sound just as good. The rep from B&K said the THX equalization circuitry is there, it's just not activated (I'm not sure I know what he meant by this).
    When I bought my digital TV, my S-Video output on my Reference 10 was causing problems with my set...my remedy to this was to directly connect the video inputs to the TV, and bypass the Reference 10 for video switching. So the component inputs are not a big deal to me either.
    Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the upgrade. I'm also glad that this upgrade will enable additional upgrades in the future.
    Believe it or not, I have never watched a movie in DTS before, so I'm also looking forward to that!
    Jim

7. William Kirkland

Jim,
    Here is a thread you might be interested in it came from another forum. Hopefully you can cut and paste and have a look. Some very good reading.
    http://pub7.ezboard.com/baussiedvdandhtforum
    Click on B&K AVR 307 Info Forum at the top and then click on "We Need A Statement From B&K"
    William

8. Jim Golden

Interesting!

Jim

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

So, does this mean that I can buy a used Ref 10 for almost nothing and just upgrade it to Ref 30 standards for under $900 bucks?

10. William Kirkland

John,

That's what it looks like. Except for the THX and componenent video like Jim was told by B&K and his dealer.

I'm curious as to what they change the face plate to read (Reference20+), (Reference 10) not that it really matters.

William

11. Jim Golden

I don't know about the buying a Reference 10 for almost nothing.....but if you did, the answer is yes. You could have the equivallent of a Reference 30 (minus the component inputs and THX processing).

They (B&K) also told me they throughly test the units after the upgrade to ensure everything is working correctly.

Jim

12. Jim Golden

Okay, I got my unit back from B&K yesterday. Heres what I can tell you at this time....

1. For William, the unit front (and it's manual) reads "Reference 20 plus. There is also a DTS logo now on the unit.

2. The unit spent two (total) weeks in B&K's shop. A week of this was due to testing. B&K gave me a free remote to compensate for the delay.

3. The display is different.

4. It looks like a brand new unit.