Has anyone tried XM or Sirius yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen_Opipari, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I'm pretty excited to get one of these new satellite radio technologies. XM looks like it would be a better choice for me personally, certain genre channels seem better to me (the Move, Audio Visions). And XM also has the Fish and the Torch.

Has anyone bought into it yet? What do you think? What equipment did you buy? What channels do you like?

2. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I've just recently purchased a Pioneer CD PLayer/XM deck.

I've really enjoy the music selection of XM.

The reason i purchased XM instead of Sirius was due to price. XM is $10 while Sirius is $13 amonth. The reason for Sirius being more expenive is that it has a lot more commerical free networks, while XM has more networks with commercials, but those stations have about 5 minutes a commericals an hour.

Also the place that sold me XM said that XM has the most bandwidth to add more stations in the future.

I personally have been listening to the 60s, 70s, 80s and the Jazz stations more. I'm waiting for a long road trip to experiment with other stations.

Paul

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

soundandvision did a shootout between the two. the bottom line was they were similar in most aspects (coverage, formats, etc.)

but XM's quality was significantly[/b] better. sirius commented that they were working to improve their quality.

i suspect my next radio will have XM, but i'm in no rush.

4. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen
    Yeah, I read the S&V article where they repeatedly called an Audi S4 and S5... Which hurt the car buff side of me greatly. It was a pretty good article, but I want to hear from folks who are using it day to day. [​IMG]

5. Jon_Stevens

Jon_Stevens Agent

Having used both Sirius and XM, to me Sirius sounds much better. They also have 3 satellites instead of 2 so they can cover more territory with less repeaters.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have xm, i use the fm modulated tuner which i got free because i used to install car audio and security. i like it, but the music selection could be a lot better. how many people are going to listen to THAT broad of a selection of music, not many. i guess its nice to know i have financial news, top 40, hip hop, classical, comedy, 40's hits, and country music all at my disposal. i'd say i listen to maybe 6 stations. the signal is ok, but i find the 10 second buffer doesnt equal 10, probably 3 for me. when i drive under a bridge the signal cuts out for a few seconds, and if im on the highway and an 18 wheeler is next to me, it cuts off too. the dirty comedy channel is pretty funny, they play dane cook and bill cosby and dave chappelle, a good mix. the clean one is ok, but the dirty one is better. i dont mind paying $10 a month for the service.

CJ

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

any other opinions?
    the Delphi home/car unit looks intriguing

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have had XM for about two weeks (Pioneer head unit, with external tuner; not FM modulated).

I have to agree with the previous poster...sound quality has been disappointing. The cymbals can sound very harsh....not unlike MP3 at lower sampling frequencies....but there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

I notice that it varies from day to day...perhaps my imagination, but some days it sounds better than others.

I don't know enough about the technology, but perhaps they allocate the bandwidth in real time (like DirecTV) so that not all channels get the same slice of the bandwidth pie all the time?

As for the content, it is thus far is making up for the sound quality issues. I am a person who absolutely HATES most rock station "Personalities".....I listed for the music, not the jocks. The best thing they can do is shut the hell up and play music. XM delivers in spades.

The variety of music has been outstanding. I am hearing stuff I like that I have never heard before, and likely would never have heard over commercial radio.

XMU, Fred, Squizz, Musiclab (these are XM channels, BTW) are all great, IMHO. I also have found that the latin jazz station Luna plays great stuff, as does the two contemporary Jazz stations.

I just hope that over time, the sound quality can be improved.

BTW, there is another, more recent thread that Ron started...try searching this forum for XM.

BL

10. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen
    I got one of the pioneer units and ended up getting rid of it after 2 months. Between a very bad installation that cost a lot of money in repairs to my installer and annoying audible digital artifacts, I ended up not being as impressed as I hoped...

11. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Well I just picked up the Delphi SkiFi unit (home, car, or boombox use) the other day. It is currently set up in the home.

Seems XM is bogged down with new subscribers over the holidays as my activation which should have taken 15 minutes has now taken over 24 hours.

Just listening to the preview channels alone shows me this is better than anything being offered on commercial radio or should I say Clear Channel radio.

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

13. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'll have to check into this some more. I too like the concept of having the dj just mentioning what is going to be played or what was just played. Who really needs all the other filler? Houston has had it's fill of djs who think they are funny. I guess it's funny---- if you're a boy in junior high school.

14. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

I've had the Delphi unit since late Oct, and I LOVE it!!!

I just bought the new boombox for the house. It's going to be great in the summer when I'm out on the deck.

Other than Howard Stern, I never listen to FM anymore.

15. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

16. Michael St. Clair

Has anybody seen a definitive, current, analysis by Wall Street as to the relative viability of both companies lately?
    Genuinely curious...

17. BorisKaganovich

BorisKaganovich Stunt Coordinator

Seeing as XM is much more likely to survive, I'd suggest going that route.

Also, by going satellite radio, you are helping the satellite launch market, which helps us develop new launch vehicles!!!!

18. Michael St. Clair

19. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

XM Reaches 360,000 Subscribers; Expects to Exceed One Million Subscribers During 2003
    Wednesday January 8, 3:15 pm ET
    LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio announced today it has signed up more than 360,000 subscribers, extending its market leadership in digital satellite radio.
    "XM had an outstanding fourth quarter, adding 145,000 subscribers, a 72 percent increase in subscribers over our cumulative total at the end of the third quarter and more than five times as many subscribers as we signed-up in the fourth quarter of 2001," said XM President and CEO Hugh Panero. "XM's accelerating subscriber growth has been fueled by 'the second launch of XM' in new vehicles from General Motors and other automakers, and by our 'third launch' into the home and portable markets with our next-generation SKYFi receivers, including XM's first portable radio."
    "XM expects a very strong 2003, with new subscribers approximately triple those obtained in 2002", Panero continued. "By year-end 2003, XM will have crossed the one million subscriber mark and be firmly established as a mass- market product."
    XM ended 2002 with more than 347,000 subscribers. The Company had thousands of additional radios sold at retail but not yet activated by year- end -- demonstrating the attractiveness of XM as a Holiday gift. The first XM "boomboxes" reached retail shelves very late in the quarter and sold out almost immediately, indicating a significant near-term market for this breakthrough product -- the first XM receiver requiring no installation and able to be utilized in the home or "on the go" without any adapter devices.
    In 2002, the Delphi SKYFi, XM's plug-and-play radio incorporating the most advanced user features of any satellite radio on the market today, proved to be a "hot" Christmas gift. Compact and attractive, the complete SKYFi system costs less than $200. SKYFi can be set-up in the car, home, office, or virtually anywhere a subscriber chooses to enjoy XM's 101 channels of revolutionary programming.
    XM's new portable satellite radio, the Delphi SKYFi Audio System, is expected to be a strong seller during 2003. "This boombox extends XM Radio's merchandising beyond retailers' car stereo sections to their portable audio and HiFi departments; it also should broaden XM's appeal to younger audiences," Panero said.
    On the OEM side, GM and other automakers like Honda and Nissan will expand their XM-equipped vehicle offerings. General Motors currently provides factory-installed XM radios in 25 lines of cars, light trucks and SUVs, including household names such as Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile and Pontiac, and plans to eventually expand XM availability across its entire product line.
    In the funding area, XM announced in late December a set of definitive financing agreements totaling $450 million -- consisting of $200 million in new funds from strategic and financial investors and $250 million in payment deferrals and related credit and payment facilities from General Motors. In addition, XM commenced an Exchange Offer for its outstanding 14 percent Senior Secured Notes. With the new funds and payment deferrals from these transactions, XM expects to achieve full funding through cash-flow breakeven. XM anticipates all necessary conditions and approvals related to these financings will be satisfied by the end of February 2003.
    XM (Nasdaq: XMSR - News) is transforming radio, an industry that has seen little technological change since FM, almost 40 years ago. XM's programming lineup features 101 coast-to-coast digital channels: 70 music channels, many of them commercial-free, from hip hop to opera, classical to country, bluegrass to blues; and 31 channels of sports, talk, children's and entertainment. XM's strategic investors include America's leading car, radio and satellite TV companies -- General Motors, American Honda Motor Co. Inc., Clear Channel Communications and DIRECTV.
    XM radios are available at major electronics retailers nationwide. Leading manufacturers such as Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Audiovox and Delphi offer a broad array of XM radios that easily enable any existing car stereo system. For more information, please visit XM's web site: http://www.xmradio.com .
    Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for the company's service, the company's dependence on third party vendors, its continuing need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 8-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 12-24-2002. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

20. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Toyota now on board>>>

Press Release Source: XM Satellite Radio, Inc.

Update: Toyota to Offer XM Radio in New Youth-Oriented Scion
    Thursday January 9, 1:26 pm ET
    Vehicles Featuring Pioneer XM Radios Hit Dealer Showrooms in June

WASHINGTON, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio, the nation's leading satellite radio service, will be offered as a feature on Toyota's new youth-oriented Scion brand vehicles, which will begin arriving at U.S. showrooms in June, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. and Pioneer Corporation announced.

Scion, a new line of vehicles, will carry an MSRP less than $16,000 and will be marketed through participating Toyota dealers. The first vehicles will be available in the Western United States in June 2003 with a national rollout completed by June 2004. The two highly anticipated Scion vehicles, the xA and xB, will lead with Pioneer XM Satellite Radio capability.

"We're excited that Toyota has decided to lead with XM in its youth- oriented Scion," said Dan Murphy, XM's Vice President of OEM and Retail Distribution. "Pioneer has been a key XM Radio manufacturing partner and the Scion will feature another great Pioneer product."

"The optional Pioneer XM receiver with 100 channels of coast-to-coast digital sound quality is the perfect add on to the Scion Sound Processing system," said Russ Johnston, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Strategic Planning for Pioneer Automotive Electronics, Inc. "XM offers a tremendous variety of programming, with some specifically geared for today's youth market. XM Original Channels such as 'Boneyard,' 'Ethel,' 'XMU,' 'Squizz,' 'The Move' and 'XM Liquid Metal' reflect the personalities and lifestyle of the potential Scion customer."