Has Anyone Tried The New HSU VTF-3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry Barnes, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

Has Anyone Tried The New HSU VTF-3? Just curious to see what how the good Doctor did on his new project... Anybody heard one yet?

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

This sub looks really nice. It should be able to fit in just about any decor scheme. Apparently the VTF-3 in max output mode will have even more output than the TN1220HO. The TN1220HO itself was measured to be -3db at 15Hz, with clean output of 110db at 20Hz (with the 250 watt amp). Both of these subs should be competitive performance-wise with pretty much anything else in the price range.
    www.hsuresearch.com
    Does anyone have any more info about how a VTF-3 will compare to the TN1220HO, for music and movies? Thanks.

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

4. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

how would a vtf-3 compare to two VTF-2's, they are about the same price

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

With the caveat that I haven't heard it yet, I'd venture to say that right now the VTF-3 is a bit overpriced. About a month ago, 2 dealers were offering preorders on audiogon for I think $750. That would be a more competitive price, but it isn't available any more. I give it about 60-90 days before it is available for $700. At that price point things could get interesting in terms of bang for the buck comparisons with SVS and Adire subs. But I'd wait until then.

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Eric, the Hsu TN1220HO + 250 watt amp is $849 direct from Hsu. This sub was tested as -3db @ 15Hz. It was tested to have 110db of clean output at 20Hz. It can also be easily moved around for optimal positioning, and takes up less floorspace than any other sub that I know of. The Hsu amps are also designed to roll off the lowest bass that the subs can't handle so well. The VTF-3 will have the extra stability and flexibility in matching with people's decor because it is a very nice looking box-type sub. So, if the VTF-3 is anywhere near the TN1220HO in terms of performance, I would say that even at $849 it would be a tremendous bargain.

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Alexis, I would go with the single VTF-3. This sub could very well represent the biggest bargain in Hsu's lineup. Feel free to email Dr. Hsu and ask for his opinion about the matter. [email protected]

8. EricHaas

I didn't say it wasn't a bargain. My point is that it isn't likely to be the bang for the buck of SVS, Adire Rava or Dharman, or the VTF-2 at its present price point. Since you can get two VTF-2's for less than its price, you would only consider the VTF-3 if ergonomics were your priority. And even then, I would think the Dharman would be a major consideration at $250 less. OTOH, any Hsu sub is a better deal than your average name brand sub. I do have an expectation that the VTF-3 might compete with those others in price/performance, but that is down the road when the street price is lower.

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Eric, value is a relative thing. And of course, measured output can't tell you the entire story about bass quality. Some people would gladly spend a little more money to buy a TN1225HO over a VTF-2, because they feel that the performance and/or aesthetic difference is worth the money. The VTF-3 should be competitive with pretty much anything else in the price range.

10. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    No offense Bob, but I find it funny that you're giving advice on subs when you don't have one yourself and promote full range speakers with powered subs.

To each their own I guess.

11. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Mark, you can email Dr. Hsu if you don't believe me.

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

ugh, reading Bob's posts get's so tiring.

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Why would I go with a single VTF-3 over two VTF-2's? The VTF-3 is a newer design, it looks nicer, it will extend lower, and you have a nice single enclosure.

IMHO, at that price point, people should be looking at the TN1220HO w/ 250 watt amp vs. VTF-3.

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Is the VTF-3 available yet? Who carries it? (besides HSU)

15. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

16. Barry Barnes

Actually, since I originated this thread I can tell you what my intent was... To hear from anyone who had TRIED the HSU VTF-3 Subwoofer. Meaning somebody who had actually plunked down their money and bought one, got it home and listened to it.

I've already read all the marketing materials and have even emailed back and forth to the good Doctor. So far I have yet to hear from even one person who has actually bought or heard one... Since I am still within' my trial period with my SVS sub just wanted to hear any impressions as the three Subs I am considering the most are the SVS (which I have here now), Adire (Dharman), and HSU VTF-3.

17. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Barry, I don't think you will find too many people who have heard this sub, because it has just recently come out. Have you considered ordering one and comparing?

18. Barry Barnes

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I have no idea if this sub is even shipping yet. From what I know of it, and how well Howard Ferstler found the TN1220 does against the "competition" even with its older amp, I have a feeling it will be a real buy in its price range to say the least. I posted further thoughts here
    Howard Ferstler has one to review for The Sensible Sound. I imagine Tom Nousaine will also get a crack at one. That will be more useful than the typical "Oh my God! It rocks! Group hug!" post when someone gets a new sub.

20. EricHaas

"Why would I go with a single VTF-3 over two VTF-2's? The VTF-3 is a newer design, it looks nicer, it will extend lower, and you have a nice single enclosure."

Why do you say it looks nicer? I have seen photos and at least in the photos it looks pretty similar to the VTF-2. However, sometimes photos don't do justice. I ask, because if you are right about this, it might sway me to buy a VTF-3 when it drops to about $750. One reticence I have always had with the VTF-2 is that I don't like its finish.