Has anyone tried the Asian versions of "The X-Files" boxsets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Rags, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I have noticed that there are quite a few Asian (region 0)versions of the X-files boxsets on ebay. I cannot afford to pay $85+ for a boxset, and the Asian versions seem to go for much less. I notice that they span 8 disks instead of 7, and they claim that you can turn asian subtitles off. Does anyone have experience with these sets? Are they much different than the Region 1 sets...or are these a waste of money?

--Thanks, Tom

2. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Some (if not all the asians) of them come in those sweet book bound cases so it can't be a complete loss. If these are not bootlegs then go ahead and buy season 1. If it turns out alright go on and buy the rest. But only if you can turn those subs the hell off. Honestly, why do they make alot of them without removable subs? Completely beyond me.

3. Michael St. Clair

If they are Region 0 and cost substantially less than discounted online prices for the R1 sets, they are almost certainly bootleg.

There's an excellent chance that they are single-layer and that the bitrate is around half that of the US release.

4. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Here is an example of one such auction touting the Asian release of the X-files
    It doesn't look like a bootleg to me, but any thoughts?

5. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    It looks ok to me. If its that cheap you might want to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out you can always re-sell it on E-Bay and get most of your money back.
    I've done that a few times [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

The latest bootleg discs out of Hong Kong are very professional looking. See the Ghibli box set threads.

If it's DVD from Hong Kong, Region 0, and sells for $4 to $7 per disc on the streets of Asia, it's bootleg.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Indications it's a bootleg

1- The Japanese and UK box sets have identical packaging to the US version, hence indicating a worldwide standard in packaging. This is a keepcase- ALERT

2- There are still Spanish subtitles in there, that would NEVER happen on a legit HK release. They would be replaced by Chinese and Simplified Chinese subtitles. Probably there would also be a Cantonese and/or Mandarin dub as well.-ALERT

3- 7 dual layered discs is standard for X-Files. The fact they went to 8 says to me that because they can't press dual-layer discs(most boot DVDs are made in retooled CD plants) they just squished 4 hour episodes onto 1 single layer, and just couldn't fit it all, so they went to an 8th disc.-ALERT

4- From what I can tell, X-Files is released in single discs in Hong Kong.

And finally:

If it's from Japan and you can't find it on CDJapan.co.jp ALERT

If it's from Hong Kong, and you can't find it on dddhouse.com, hkflix.com, or YesAsia.com WARNING