What's new

Has anyone tried one of these for their DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well, I stand corrected. According to Chris at VH Audio, there are actually 2 types of IEC/DVD adapters. One type is the "figure 8", and the other has one round and one square. The one for round/square is for "correct polarization" which he should have available within the next few days.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, my reciever doesnt have one of those outlets, im planning on replacing it on my DVD player, however, many of these cables would cost more than the player's worth right now! :D I just wanted to give it a try with some cheaper stuff if i see a bit of difference...

Time to do some searching around...

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Ron,

Or you could simply take note of the polarity and ensure you have the adapter oriented correctly as I did. This way you get to save a bunch of dollars. I personally don't buy into the cryo treated stuff but to each their own.

For those who have a captive ac cord you can always cut the cord off close to the casing leaving just enough cable to connect a male iec plug. These are available from Schurter brand suppliers. Not for the faint of heart or unskilled as it will obviously void the warranty and with all things involving ac current caution is required.

With the right cord (So far all cords that I have tried has been an improvement over the unshielded oem cord) you will notice improved contrast, sharpness and improved color saturation.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well I received my IEC DVD adapters along with my new VH Audio power cords. I will try to post my initial impressions later on today.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
It is not that hard to remove your non-detachable power cord and install an IEC socket. As long as you are willing to sacrifice any warranty you have on the unit. You just need to be sure there is enough room inside for the socket to fit. Use the existing entry hole for the power cord, and use a computer case nibbler to cut out the proper hole. You will then need to drill a couple of screw holes to mount the socket. Be sure to attach the internal power connectors to the proper hot and neutral connections on the socket. Then attach your new external cord.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be very wary of doing something like that. Especially since (as you mentioned) it would void any warranties.

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
Does Monster make decent power cords? I can get the powerline 300 power cord for like 40 bucks. Is it worth it? Or can I get one that's just as good at Radio Shack. It's always interesting to see people's feedback on monster products.

Brandon

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,

While I will openly admit I'm not a big fan of Monster products, I think it would be worth your while to save another $20 or so and try a cord from VH Audio. If you look on the website, there is a no-hassle 60-day money back guarantee on their power cords...you can't beat that.

While I've yet to comprehensively review the two I recently installed in my system, I love what one of the Flavor 3 cords did for my Rotel 1066 pre/pro.

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from DIY, are there any other sources for power cords? $80 for 2 feet seems a bit steep.

Also, are there any sites/reviews of the IEC adapter's effects on picture quality aside from internet postings claiming "it works GREAT! I won't give details but it's AMAZING!"

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
I still haven't found any evidence -- subjective, anecdotal, or otherwise -- that this does, in fact, increase sound and picture quality.

Now, I'm not doubting this upgrade, as it sounds like an affordable way to do so. I just haven't seen any reviews, articles, etc. to that effect.

That being said, would the IEC adapter ($20) and power cable ($50) be worth upgrading on a Denon DVD-1600?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks