What's new

Has anyone thought of a group buy on a custom subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

FRC SoundWorks will design and build custom subwooers for a pretty darn good price. Has anyone thought of putting together a custom driver to your specs? ..or are you pretty much happy with what the DIY community currently has out?

FYI, FRC designedthe BPD-03's(and supplies the parts)..builds the 01's and also the standard SVS drivers.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've mentioned this before, Anthony, but somewhat in jest. What did you have in mind? What would you like different from anything that's available?

The prospect sounds like lots of fun.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Their Home Theater 12 ($110) looks interesting if the XMAX is truely 44mm. Has anyone ever bothered to contact them to see what the other T/S parameters are?

-Robert

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I have thought about it also. Scott at FRC is a great guy, and might enjoy the project. I am certainly not an expert, but I have been thinking of something along the lines of the 03 series, but with a lower Fs (and perhaps Vas.) Would a driver like this "better" for HT applications, or just "different"? By the way, I thoroughly enjoy this forum and all the helpful advise people provide.

JP

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a driver engineer, and have only a basic understanding of the physics of it all, but I think that one reason that the "perfect driver" doesn't seem to exist for DIY-ers is that current technology calls for certain design tradeoffs. A low Fs calls for a loose suspension, which precludes very high excursion or a very low Vas. High excursion calls for a stiff suspension, which raises the Fs. If you did take an 1803 and just lowered Fs by raising Mms (basically mass-loading it), sensitivity would plummet while Qts came up.

I think that drivers like the Shiva and Tempest have the best balance for most folks, low Fs,excellent excursion, good sensitivity, reasonable Vas and Qts (not too low).

This has been thought of before at other forums, such as the Madisound discussion forum and the Bass List mailing list. If I remember correctly the Shiva is a direct outgrowth of a Bass List move to get a custom driver made. There was a flurry of discussion and Dan Wiggins basically said:

We've been thinking about making this (insert Shiva like parameters here) would this work?

Scott Hinson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks