Has anyone that has an AVR-3805 actually tried a cheapy mic yet?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JasonLaz, Jun 24, 2004.

1. JasonLaz

JasonLaz Agent

I bit the bullet last night and got the 'official' mic for the receiver but was a bit miffed that after having spent close to $1K on it that I had to go out and spend ANOTHER $70 just to get it configured through one of it's prime selling features. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the 2805 comes with the setup mic gratus. I can tell you that mic sure didn't feel like a $70 piece of equipment and it sucks to spend that kind of money on something you might use ONCE or TWICE ever in your home theater setup.

I have a el cheapo computer mic with a stand that I think I spend $4 for at Frys Electronics that I'm going to mess with this weekend and I'm going to shoot some digital camera shots of the screens just so everyone can see how well the $70 mic compares with the $4 one and see if it's really worth the expense.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually done this yet themselves that has the receiver?

On a side note, is there any button on the remote that comes with the AVR-3805 that you can use for the "Guide" on a TIVO unit? I programmed my remote last night and can get most fuctions to work but haven't figured out how to get that one going yet.

2. JasonLaz

JasonLaz Agent

I bit the bullet last night and got the 'official' mic for the receiver but was a bit miffed that after having spent close to $1K on it that I had to go out and spend ANOTHER $70 just to get it configured through one of it's prime selling features. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the 2805 comes with the setup mic gratus. I can tell you that mic sure didn't feel like a $70 piece of equipment and it sucks to spend that kind of money on something you might use ONCE or TWICE ever in your home theater setup.

I have a el cheapo computer mic with a stand that I think I spend $4 for at Frys Electronics that I'm going to mess with this weekend and I'm going to shoot some digital camera shots of the screens just so everyone can see how well the $70 mic compares with the $4 one and see if it's really worth the expense.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually done this yet themselves that has the receiver?

On a side note, is there any button on the remote that comes with the AVR-3805 that you can use for the "Guide" on a TIVO unit? I programmed my remote last night and can get most fuctions to work but haven't figured out how to get that one going yet.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The mic is calibrated for the software that the receiver uses in its setup functions so I would doubt that you would get the same results using a substitute. But since you've got both, why not give it a try and see if there's any substantial difference [​IMG] I'd be interested in the results, though I too bought the Denon mic......which BTW, works pretty darn well when compared with an SPL meter settings.

Don't have a Tivo unit but was able to learn in commands for the guide on my digital cable box without any problems. I just chose the "menu" key on the remote when it was under the "cable" function setting.

Mort

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The mic is calibrated for the software that the receiver uses in its setup functions so I would doubt that you would get the same results using a substitute. But since you've got both, why not give it a try and see if there's any substantial difference [​IMG] I'd be interested in the results, though I too bought the Denon mic......which BTW, works pretty darn well when compared with an SPL meter settings.

Don't have a Tivo unit but was able to learn in commands for the guide on my digital cable box without any problems. I just chose the "menu" key on the remote when it was under the "cable" function setting.

Mort

5. Sam>C

Sam>C Extra

I didn't get the mic, I connected my Radio Shack SPL meter to the unit and used that instead and the results were very good. The measure was dead on and sound is much better than it was before I calibrated. Does it do as good a job as the Denon Mic, that I don't know but this worked well and I used something I already had anyway.

6. Sam>C

Sam>C Extra

I didn't get the mic, I connected my Radio Shack SPL meter to the unit and used that instead and the results were very good. The measure was dead on and sound is much better than it was before I calibrated. Does it do as good a job as the Denon Mic, that I don't know but this worked well and I used something I already had anyway.

7. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

the radioshack meter is similar to what the denon uses. IIRC, you can calibrate another mic to be used. this might be only on their higher end models (not out yet), but i remember them saying you could use your own higher end (or lower end) mic and have it calibrated to work correctly.

i know with the 3805 it doesnt come with it, but at least at my store, we just loan out mics for people who bought them, so you dont have to buy it for one use.

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

the radioshack meter is similar to what the denon uses. IIRC, you can calibrate another mic to be used. this might be only on their higher end models (not out yet), but i remember them saying you could use your own higher end (or lower end) mic and have it calibrated to work correctly.

i know with the 3805 it doesnt come with it, but at least at my store, we just loan out mics for people who bought them, so you dont have to buy it for one use.