What's new

Has anyone seen the movie 'A Better Place'? (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
It's directed by Vincent Periera, who's part of the Kevin Smith posse (Smith apparently funded the film and offers commentary on the DVD).

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone here has seen it. VERY disturbing film. Very well done as well. Probably the best DVD I've ever seen as far as extras go. (Even though the audio sucks!)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Oh absolutely, I think it's a very impressive first feature for Pereria. You have this very small budget and yet you still get some of Smith's regulars like Ethan Suplee and "Chasing Amy's" Jason Lee in the cast. And Eion Bailey I've already seen in a few bigger films as of late -- he's a very promising young actor.
Vince's online presence is everywhere. Don't quote me on this, but I think Vincent has been on the HTF in the past, and knows of the Smith fans on here. I know that he's posted in retailation to the critical comments on the IMDB user comments section too. :)
Jason

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I wanted to see it, and I also wanted to see another movie staring "Chasing Amy's Jason Lee" (hehe), Drawing Flies. I know that A Better Place was supposed to be on IFC last month, or maybe this month...but the friggin cable company decided to movie IFC from basic cable to Digital Cable. Now I've gotta drop a fat 20 bucks more a month to watch Elvis Mitchell when I can't sleep...hehe.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I was very impressed with A BETTER PLACE. A $40,000 film? How come Hollywood isn't hunting him down to make bigger pictures?

John Rockwell

Auditioning
I just watched it yesterday, and was very impressed. Eion Bailey was great. Is it just me, or does he look like Morrison? Very well done. Saw it on IFC, so I can't comment on the DVD.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I actually went to high school with Vincent (same class and everything). It's too bad I didn't really know him. Kind of scary though when you think about the story of the movie and that he wrote it. In any event, it seems like he has tremendous talent.

For those of you with the DVD, if you didn't already know about it, there's a GREAT easter egg on it:

(From DVDEasterEggs.com)

"To acces these easter eggs, first watch the movie all the way through once (or just access the last chapter and watch the end credits), then go to the "special thanks" screen. On the second special thanks screen, you are now able to highlight a few of the names in the special thanks. Highlight "The Pizza Guy" and you will be taken to a hidden menu called "Loopholes" where you can access the trailer for the hysterical movie "Big Helium Dog" and a second audio commentary for A Better Place, this time with the members of the pervious commentary drunk out of their gords...fun stuff."

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
So...is the DVD recommended then? Since I got screwed out of IFC, the DVD is the only way that I'll see it...

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Matt,

DEFINITELY. Like I said, the audio is horrible, but the picture is decent and the extras are phenomenal. A lot of Kevin Smith commentary as well (which is great if you're a fan of his like I am).

Scott

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the recommendation - I bought it sight unseen, and was quite pleased, blown away, actually. The audio didn't bother me, but I watch lots of foreign/indie/lo-fi stuff. It's certainly not THE ROCK, but it didn't bother me.

And, actually, I thought a lot of the sound design was pretty interesting.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Kewl, since I am a huge Kevin Smith fan...I'll pick this one up. Thx for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks