has anyone seen the commercial for time warners new "TIVO" like recorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul watkins, Jul 9, 2002.

1. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

i saw the commercial tonight,anyone seen this also,looks good.

2. paul watkins

it goes along with their digital cable i'm sure.

3. paul watkins

i saw it again,its called "i" control.

anyone got it?
    is it worth it?
    how does it compare to tivo?

4. Bob S

Bob S Extra

I didn't see the commercial, but I believe "I Control" is a Video on Demand service from TWC. Here's a quote from an article on Time Warner Cable in the Feb 19, 2001 issue of Newsweek:

5. Michael St. Clair

We've got the VOD here, it works for a dozen or so different HBO programs/series a month (you can access whole seasons of 'The Sopranos', etc), plus some HGTV type stuff, and so on. Pause, rewind, etc...but not for all programming, just the VOD programming. I don't have it, it costs $10 extra a month.

I know Scientific Atlanta has a box in the works that does PVR functions, and I suspect TWC is interested. I don't think it's ready though.

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

"i" control isn't a recorder. It's VOD(Video On Demand). It's just like PPV except you can Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward or Stop and start it back later. Pausing lasts 15 minutes then it will automaticly be stopped and Saved in the Saved list to start later. The downside is you only have an 8 hour time period in which to watch the rented movie. So I you choose top stop it and start it later don't wait too long. I have "I"control VOD and HBO on Demand here on TWC's SA3100HD cable box. If you look at Sciantific Atlanta's website they list a PVR type cable box. Not sure if any TWC areas use it yet though.